Do you drive?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 178 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 97 ]
Total votes : 275

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm

I drive but I avoid driving in cities or on freeways where there are a lot lanes and on/off ramps and a lot of traffic and cars changing lanes. It's scary and confusing and I don't know how other people seem to do it so easily. Driving in cities is stressful and I make the wrong turns and end up in the wrong lanes and get lost.
My favorite way to drive is in the passenger seat with someone else driving.

Abcrone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
i am an excellent driver.

:lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMCTgGjTRA[/youtube]

Agathon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2014, 1:57 pm

No, I only learned to ride a bike when I was 16. I am a bit afraid of driving because the traffic confuses me very much.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

Me, either. The traffic confuses me a lot and it's very scary and stressful to be on the road. So I don't drive.

Agathon

01 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

jk1 wrote:
Me, either. The traffic confuses me a lot and it's very scary and stressful to be on the road. So I don't drive.

I am also worried how would I react if everyone started blowing horns, that sound startles me even when I am walking. If roads were mostly empty, I probably wouldn't have a problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm

Updated answer:

Yes. I've had a car back on the road for the last 3 months now. I'm a much better, calmer, and more focused driver now that my fine motor skills have improved, anxiety is nil, and my attention span is far better than it was.

After the first couple weeks of being back on the road I wondered how I'd managed to make it through a few YEARS without a car. I can get SO much more done now vs. having to walk for hours to & from stores etc.

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

01 Jan 2014, 4:09 pm

Yes, i love to drive! Although i found it scary to learn in the beginning on my 18th birthday, i'm glad i did it, and past the drivers test the very first time!
I'm not a big fan of public transportation. Most because of the lack on self control. When i'm driving, i'm the one in control, and i like it that way.
Plus, i'm an excellent driver! I really am. Very secure about myself when i'm driving. It's one of the things i'm proud off.
I love to manage myself into the traffic, and making all these decisions. I'm really good at that too. Also i can drive any type of car.
Even trucks where you can drive in with a normal drivers license. Not a problem for me at all.
So i'm really glad my parents pushed me to take lessons! Have my drivers license more than 10 years now.
Never had any major accidents. So i'm very pleased :)

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm

No. I'm afraid of driving.

Raspberry
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2014, 12:14 am

Not yet but I plan on getting a driver's license. I'm terribly scared of driving though. It just seems too dangerous but a part of me wants to drive, and I know it's a valuable skill.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2014, 12:20 am

I drive, but if I drive for over 2 hours I start to feel jittery.

Pastanoodle

02 Jan 2014, 11:56 am

I can drive around town ok. I don't do so well in new places or cities, even with gps. Last time I drove in a city I ended up on the wrong side of the river and couldn't figure out how to get across :oops: .

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

Not yet. Two years ago it was considered unsafe for me because of easy sensory overload.

Cynic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2014, 8:53 pm

I can drive but don't have a car and haven't driven for a number of years.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm

I can drive but I haven't a car at the moment, I am not a very good driver I don't really enjoy it. If I haven't driven in a few months I like driving a bit, but I hate traffic jams and urban centres and I couldn't drive to work every day. I had to do it for six months a few years ago and I only managed it because it was for a limited, fixed time.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

Driving is my freedom. I drive around 30.000km a year. Cars have to be functional though. if I can't fit the kitchen sink in it I will consider it useless. I am dangerous in fast cars because I don't want to stick to speed limits ALL the time
I listened to 4 years of how our Berlingo was a van and too slow. Now we have a Renault Modus and I get an average of 1 speeding ticket a month.
Needless to say the next car will be a Berlingo again :roll: