Do you drive?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 178 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 97 ]
Total votes : 275

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:00 am

I've almost caused accidents crossing the street on foot, I'd be really dangerous driving a car.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2012, 6:31 am

Yes I drive I have had my licence since I was 20 years old my first car was a mazda 323, 1984 silver it was my pride and joy.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2012, 7:46 pm

For years Driving seemed intimidating and overwhelming for me. But I knew I would need to do it. So as soon as I turned 16 i just got it over with and learned. I knew it would just be harder for me the longer I put it off.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard. If you're largely making the same commute again and again, it's kind of fun. Just relax and enjoy it.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

For many many years I was so set against getting my license. I was reluctant to even when it became a job requirement. I finally did back in January and I regret not getting it years ago. I have found that driving is my escape, it keeps my mind off depressive things and gives me something to do on my days off.

The average person in the US drives 12000 miles a year. In the last seven months I have driven close to 17,000 miles. I have been known to take a 500 mile drive because im bored, ive done it several times.

I also drove 250 miles for a cheeseburger, but thats a story for a different thread

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

I'd say I'm fairly decent at driving. My step-dad is showing my sister how to drive, and she keeps scaring the crap out of him because of the way she breaks and the turns she makes. I just sit there and laugh. :lol:

I tend to avoid going out on the highway, though. Traveling fast makes me nervous. I'm comfortable at any speed until it goes past 50 MPH. :?

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm

I live in Texas, and you HAVE to know how to drive here if you wanna go anywhere. With the exception of large city centers, mass transit is almost non-existent. You either learn to drive or you stay home a lot.

EDIT -- Another problem is the issue of walking where you need to go. Texas cties and towns are so spread out geologically -- both between towns and within the city limits -- that walking is nearly impossible. There is little regard for pedestrians, and it's very unsafe. A bike is a hair better...if you don't mind nearly being run down by traffic, the heat or the mosquitos.

I actually enjoy driving. It's alone time for me, sometimes the only alone time I get for days at a time. I've been known -- when I had a decent job and gas was a buck a gallon -- to jump in the car, pick a direction and drive for hours all alone. I've solved pretty much all my problems and those of the world while behind the wheel.

I just wish I was better at it. As much driving experience as I have, I still scare both myself and other people. I get distracted by a song on the radio, signs along the road, or even just my inner thoughts. I'll be zoning out over something, and suddenly have to slam on my brakes because someone is stopped in front of me. I blatantly ran a red light -- not just blowing through a yellow at the last second, but a full-blown red light -- because I was thinking about something else. Scared me so bad that the next time I was on that road and at that light, I had a major panic attack that lasted the full 20 miles to home.

I've only had four speeding tickets since I got my license in 1976, which is amazing considering how fast I drive. I've been in several accidents, but only a couple that did any real damage to the vehicles. One good thing for me though is that I rarely talk on the phone while I'm driving, and I NEVER text! That's just stupid.

Last edited by Webalina on 29 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2012, 8:25 am

14 years accident free...

However, I don't drive much other than out of necessity due to the roads around me being overcrowded 6.5 days per week, not too mention gas prices.

I've only had two moving violations - one for passing a school bus (I was 3/4 past the bus that was in "park" when it decided to put the bus stop flashers on; the bus was empty and had no students on it), and one for going 48 in a 35 zone, while I was trying to get out of being boxed into the slow lane with people jamming on the brakes in front of me and people in the passing lane going 25.

Aside from that, I love driving. I learned a lot from rally simulators and can drive well in snow, etc.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 8:55 am

I've been driving since I was 17. People with AS usually like to "do their own thing", so it seems like most would want a driver's license instead of having to rely on other people. I like being able to drive when and where I want to by myself.

Matto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2012, 11:26 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
Don't let anyone force you to drive before you are ready.

My parents didn't have this policy. The only thing they cared about was me being normal and accepting the rest of the world. wtf what if I didn't want to accept the world as it is?
Reasons:
Politics are slandered and turned into a massive insult contest
Culture encourages things that I would rather not mention
Being normal is encouraged, when being abnormal is the way you interact with more people than NTs ever will.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

I don't drive. I did get a driver's license when I was 19, but at the time I was still living in a not very densely populated area.
I was okay as long as there was nothing else on the road... but put in as much as a chicken and I'd panic.
When I moved to a busier place I did not drive. I have poor coordination, slow reflexes and at the time I was not even capable of catching a ball (or throwing it in a particular direction).
So I started cycling, and my then housemate is still amazed that I survived that! :lol:
I used to ride in the middle of the road and fail to notice other traffic...

Now I'm much better coordinated but still have slow reflexes so I don't drive. I avoid cars all together. I get terrible travel sickness. Not too keen on buses either, but I really like trains!

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

Matto wrote:
My parents didn't have this policy. The only thing they cared about was me being normal and accepting the rest of the world. wtf what if I didn't want to accept the world as it is?
Reasons:
Politics are slandered and turned into a massive insult contest
Culture encourages things that I would rather not mention
Being normal is encouraged, when being abnormal is the way you interact with more people than NTs ever will.

What relation do Politics and Culture have to driving in the United States?

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 12:42 pm

I was reluctant to learn, and didn't get my license until I was 18, but once I realized how much independence it gave me I was really happy driving. I'm a good driver, possibly because I was so nervous at first, I felt motivated to become a good driver.

I still don't like driving in new places, as I get lost easily. I manage that by always giving myself plenty of time to find my way, and having simple directions at hand when driving somewhere new to me.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

I have my driving license and I do drive occasionally when forced by my parents because they want me to do it regularly so I don't forget how to. I however am terribly afraid of driving myself because I feel like I never see anything coming until the last moment and often zone out while driving.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

Been driving since I was 8. still love it. Cars, bikes, boats... doesn't matter. Give me speed and air (on a bike) and I'm happy.

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

Yes , I drive. I passed my driveing test in approx 1989 & my 1st car was a fiat 127.

Nowadays, I need a car, as I do a lot of DIY work for myself & others, public transport is expensive & inconvenient.
Apparantly, I've heard say carrying a tin of paint on a bus etc is'nt allowed due to H&S guidelines :?

The only setback with a car is the extortionate costs of running a car, the MOT becomeing more fussy, breakdown labour charges can cost more than the value of an otherwise decent car, & then theres the insurance, I've 7yrs of no claims & I'm still quoted an average of £700 for my citreon berlingo, I need to keep an insurance policy running, as me not having a car (& obviously insurance) for more than 2yrs would mean I'd loose ALL of my no claims bonus ! ! (as I found out 8yrs ago) , so starting over again would mean insurance quotes in the region of at least £1800.

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

PM me anytime for advice, chat or just to say hello.