What makes someone AS rather than having an INTJ personality

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

I'm ISTP. As far as what makes me AS, I have NVLD, right brain hemisphere damage, but it's an IQ split, where my verbal IQ is like 130, but my PIQ is like 80. So it affects many of the same things as AS. As far as what makes someone AS, well, that's in the eyes of whoever is evaluating you. I've had psychs go "oh, you're so neat and there's nothing wrong with you and you're super smart!" And then other psychs go "Yeah... you definitely got Aspergers, and you're pretty off." It's sorta irrelevant.

There's probably even E_T_ Aspies, too.

ozman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

I am an ISTJ and many of my personality traits are AS related. I believe that my realtionship dramas are part ISTJ part ASpie... I used to think it was all aspie but not anymore..

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

I stated earlier that I am no expert and psychology is not my gig but there does seem to be much credibility to the "science" of psychology, with many cited papers supporting the technique. Success in obtaining many senior positions in the UK and Middle East at least, may depend on a desired psychological profile. INTJ is a desired profile. At least the methodology seems a little more objective than determining ones suitability on bitrth date.

Indeed, I have a PhD Psychologist reporting to me at work. I am very reluctant to speak to him in an informal situyation, in case he tries to analyse me. He may confirm I'm a jerk.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

I stand corrected. I still cringe when I consider psychology as a science though. It may be true but it hurts me on the inside.

That's not to say I don't believe in psychology, just for some reason my brain doesn't want to put it in the science category.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm

I couldn't find any scientific data but there seem to be plenty of people saying the have aspergers and are not INTJs

Do all INTJ's have

"(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

jonny23 wrote:
I couldn't find any scientific data but there seem to be plenty of people saying the have aspergers and are not INTJs

Do all INTJ's have

"(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

Not all people with AS are INTJ but in percentage terms there appears to be an order of magnitude more INTJs amongst the AS population than the NT population.

And not all ISTJs have all of the traits listed but neither do all those diagnosed with AS.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

What I posted was the diagnosis criteria.

WoodenBoy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

Nice question, BassMan_720, it's something I've puzzled over too (INTP here!)

AS and INTJ are both just categories that have been created. It's difficult to say if these categories are "correct" in any fundamental way - they just arise from psychologists observing the variation among people, and then attempting to define sets of criteria that will decide who belongs in those categories. It would be nice if there was a clear relationship between these labels and some aspect of the brain that could be measured with instruments, but there usually isn't anything concrete. I guess the only truly scientific aspect of this labelling is the issue of reproducibility, i.e. whether or not 2 clinicians, or 2 different versions of the test would both arrive at the same result (and it seems in reality, this reproducibility is not great). While there's certainly a lot of overlap between AS and INTJ, they've been defined for different purposes. INTJs are generally less gifted socially, but that may or may not be a source of significant problems. AS has specifically been created to define a "disorder" - and I really think the DSM-IV's criterion "The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning" is very weak, because we can easily imagine a person who is impaired in these ways, but who might fit very comfortably in a different environment e.g. the academic world.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

Wow WoodenBoy, I'm going with your answer. Very well said.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:52 pm

Perhaps the ability to empathize with autistic people. Most of the people I know have the INTJ personality, but they don't naturally empathize with autistic people and have no idear what could possibly be going on inside the minds of autistic people, eggspecially those with many traits that are not mild.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

If you are interested in how many INTJs who score high on the Aspie Quiz, you can go through this thread: http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=2071
It's 600 posts in that thread, and on each profile it says what personality type they are, it would take a while to collect the statistics, but if you are really interested, there's the data. :D

I'm an INTJ myself, it is less than accurate that it is 3% in the general population, the accurate amount is 2-4% ( http://www.mivistaconsulting.com/servic ... ble_f.html )

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:24 pm

I think there's less to DSM-4 than meets the eye. Here's even a part from the explanatory section for autism.

Quote:
http://alturl.com/w3y4z [short URL to google books]

" . . . There may be odd responses to sensory stimuli (e.g., a high threshold for pain, oversensitivity to sounds or being touched, exaggerated reactions to light or odors, fascination with certain stimuli). . . "

I am less than impressed. It's still just a bunch of generalities. Critically, it doesn't seem like they have really talked with autistic persons in a respectful way.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 13 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:26 pm

repeat

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 13 Jul 2012, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:28 pm

Well, for one thing, I'm AS and I'm not INTJ. Whereas my mother and father are both INTJs, and only one of them has AS.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:30 pm

Ettina wrote:
Well, for one thing, I'm AS and I'm not INTJ. Whereas my mother and father are both INTJs, and only one of them has AS.

That proves it! :) 50% of all INTJs have AS, and 50% of all Aspies are INTJs!

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

I'm INTJ and I've pondered the same questions in that MB overview. But, the "tiping point" is really easy if you think you have AS: just look to part II of the 299.80.

And how about the relationship aspects in part I?

Eye contact?

See?