Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blockmaster1
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2018, 11:56 pm

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share something...

I have some aspergers and have always struggled socially, whether it be talking to strangers(especially in groups) or even my closest friends. This is probably why I tend to seem like a shy guy and don't have many friends and people to hang out with during the day. When i attempt to socialize in groups, I am always on the outside and often don't know what to contribute to a conversation, so I am not really included in the group. However tonight I was feeling good and decided to just go for it and join some acquaintances/friends at a table during a social event at my residence, and found myself talking easily to them and I actually felt included. I still was a bit quiet and just listened sometimes but I still talked pretty well with them and joked around with them, and felt I made progress!(I have made this sort of progress before but it happens rare, and usually on other occasions I tune out socially). What do you guys think of this? I definetely should do this more though, just jumping in and being more brave. I also just felt like sharing this too since I am so happy! Also I find it weird but I tend to be more social and confident in the night time, especially when I'm feeling tired. During the day, I'm kind of like your average socially awkward dude lol.

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2018, 12:56 am

I became talkative through entactogens, once it was quite funny how someone who's normally the gregarious one was totally silent due to a dissociative and I was the opposite, like for a few hours we switched places.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 10:32 pm

That's really cool! It sounds like you and your friends/acquaintances had fun. I can totally psych myself out of socializing if I'm not careful. I imagine all the paths that conversations could go down, am I prepared for each eventuality, how will I excuse myself if I get tired, how will I handle awkward questions??? A I can talk myself right out of participating. 8O But most often people are just looking for conversation and chuckles, and it's not really that hard to listen and ask a question about what is said or to point out something funny. It tends to get hard when I get lost in my autistic mind worrying about how things might go and then get self-conscious. I hope you're able to keep up with the social interactions - it gets easier and builds confidence. I wonder if it's easier at night because we can sort of lower expectations of ourselves or if we get quiet we can just say we're a bit tired.