Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 12:04 am

What do you usually do to stimulate yourself after you've had to socialize, deal with society or even after a meltdown or outburst? For me, I listen to music or sometimes I'll chat with some of my best online friends. Other times I'll snuggle with my Axel plushie and immediately hideout in my bedroom without coming out (with the exemption of bathroom breaks and needing food or drink looool XD)

Sometimes I just like to have alone time. That's all I like. Being in an environment where I have my own bubble or privacy for a change is usually what helps lessen the stress I deal with as having autism. It's usually when I'm in public or outside of my comfort zone that I start to panic and went to go right back into that zone of comfort.

So yeah, what about you?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

I take a nap.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

Take a bath, take a shower, get out of the location, read (most likely in the bath), demand that my boyfriend hold me... those are the most common ones.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

Headphones and (this song.)(link) And stimming, though the level of obviousness with which I stim will depend on who's around me.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

Yep good question. In the past I would enjoy this - http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/482

It's a great way to relax and recuperate. This has been a tough year though and I am finding it's not enough and I don't feel safe enough. (Trying it now, I feel a little vulnerable). I discovered that by lying on my back with legs crossed and my hands on top of each other wherever it feels good on my abdomen, feels much better.

It really depends on the level of stress. Shavasana is fine when I'm feeling somewhat normal and just need to relax and the weather is warm. The above is more when stress levels have been high and I want to straighten my back and stretch a few muscles in the process while still feeling safe.

But if I have bsen to town and have just got home and am absolutely F...ed, I have a quick shower and jump straight into bed. When I'm ready I might get up and stretch a bit. I also like to shake my body and get out all the tension.

Dietary wise I try to favour warm water over cold. I like a hot cacao with heaps of honey and coconut milk/cream. Movies are my lifetime rescue remedy. :wink:

While I'm in town I have found that uncrystalised candied ginger helps quite a bit. I try to avoid refined sugar as much as possible but sometimes you just need a quick remedy huh!

O and chai! mmm Before, during and after. The real stuff made yourself without tea (caffeine) if possible and with heaps of honey and something creamy in it like coconut cream.

:D

O and how could I forget! Chamomile. The stuff you buy loose not in a bag. A teaspoon of coconut oil several times a day has been a massive help lately.

And my latest discovery has been Celtic Sea salt (a generous pinch in a glass of warm water). It contains so many minerals which are lacking in the average Western Diet. I just tried it for the first time and I feel profoundly and untypically grounded, warm and happy. :D

Last edited by KemoreJ on 14 Oct 2011, 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

Go in my bedroom, close the door, and put on very fast music, (usually the same song repeatedly[but not the same song every time I do this]). Then bounce my leg, tap my hands, shake or spin my chair.

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

Recently I have found out that what my body needs to recover is LOTS of sleep.
I'm not joking, every time I've been involved in a social situation (being with more than one person for more than 20 minutes) I either lie awake a lot the first night (and get about 11 hours of sleep), or just sleep 13.5 to 14 hours.
Then the next TWO nights it's always 13+ to 14 hours of needed sleep each night... :roll:

On the day itself I immediately go home, where I'll be alone. If it's a really bad day and I have to go out again I MUST lie down in the dark for as long as possible...
In the future I hope to be able to use Mindfulness excercises!! !

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

I usually need alone time in my room. During this alone time, I'll listen to music, stim (pacing or rocking) and imagine some stories I want to write. I can never be happier than when doing this...

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

I have to be as far away from people as possible. Here I've found a nice rock to sit on in the shade, by a stream what sparkles wonderfully in the evening sun and near enough the sea I can hear it but surrounded in dense woodland. Can hear people coming a mile away and so avoid them.

In London I had to rely on sleep but this takes longer.

In the short term I have a piece of holographic wrapping paper I can watch to de-stress me.

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2012, 2:20 pm

Straight to the computer. Read forums. Play whatever game has been my focus lately (minecraft), or read about, mod, tinker with said game.