If you are unable to work, is your family understanding?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

I don't think my mother really understands that I can't work or why I can't work but it doesn't seem to bother her that I don't work and she doesn't try to make me get a job.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:33 am

My mother is the only person around.

She sees the reality of my impairment.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 5:04 pm

Steven_Tyler77 wrote:
the kind who is able to do the housework, take care of all the chores and so on. Since I am unable to do things on a daily basis, I almost always fail at it.

For the housework at my place - I must always, -every-single-day- be reminded of what exactly I need to do. Not just once, either - I must be reminded multiple times every day. If I'm not reminded to do things very often, then I forget to do them.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Family members mean well. They want to see you have the typical life - husband or wife, 2.5 kids, a house in the suburbs, financial investments, etc. You know, normal stuff. If you start talking about SSI or SSDI they feel, I don't know, betrayed. My family does, anyway. I know I.m disappointing them by not being normal.

YES! I often find myself feeling bad for being such a disappointment. I just don't want or can't do the things that one is "supposed to" do. I hate supposed to's

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:54 pm

Understanding is usually directly proportional to money (more money, more understanding; less money less understanding). When money lacks people become less and less happy. So I find it difficult that our family will be supportive for a long time if you are unable to work. And most probably your friends will dissapear. Sorry, I know its cruel, but thats the reality.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 5:13 am

No. They're happy for my brother to do nothing; but not me. :x