I was bullied, but it DIDN'T bother me/didn't upset me 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I was bullied, and it DID bother me/upset me 91%  91%  [ 98 ]
I wasn't bullied 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 108

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

Did it bother you whilst you were being bullied? Were you very upset and sometimes got very angry?

I was bullied very badly at school. I was quiet. I didn't involve myself with other kids because I didn't even know how to talk to people, and this bullying was from year 3 (age 7) until I left school at the end of year 11 (age 16) and it stressed me a lot. I got very angry that in year 6 (age 10) I was ordered by my school to have anger management classes (which didn't work) and still found myself often getting angry, especially when trying to do my work, and kids would interrupt me and take my book and pen away and such.

Into secondary school I was still walking out of class crying and screaming sometimes. I was embarrassed by it, but it bothered me more the bullying and the torture from the kids.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

I was bullied and attempted suicide because of it. Eventually I dropped out of high school to escape (did end up going to college, though).

I guess you could say it bothered me.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

I was bullied badly from the 5th grade up to 10th grade. By then, I'd learned enough to get by, and though people were occasionally mean to me, I can't say I was bullied after that. When it was bad, though, it's was really bad. Sometimes I think it's a wonder I lived through it.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:07 pm

Yes it did bother me and it always upset me. My school principal expected me to toughen up. Well at least it did help me stop giving a s**t what people think and not care anymore and I got tough in ways.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

I moved around a lot, so that made it worse.
It was pretty bad, but it toughened me up and I stopped walking around like a sweet little lamb all the time.

I'm a nice guy now, just about to turn 40. But, I have a lot of gravel in my gut from growing up the quiet kid and being picked on. I'm nice, til it's time to not be nice. And then I'm not so nice guy.

I will say that I knew when I was a kid that fighting back and really wailing on one of the bullies was a threshold I wouldn't be able to go back over, psychologically. And that's pretty true. Once you take up violence and retribution you're never the same again. You break one of the nice fragile things inside of you to make room for something worse.
But, we all do things to survive and get by.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

I tried applying to leave school early here before I was supposed to finish at the end of year 11 when I was 16, but the school wouldn't allow it.

I skipped school so much, I probably went to school about twice a week, and it was a record if I ever managed a full 5 days. Even then with the full 5 days, or when I did go to school, I would skip classes and just walk around the school until the bell went/next lesson, or I went down to the canteen which was a different building and just sat there listening to music on my phone.

I managed to get a pass from the school to be able to go home at lunch times for like one of the years, because I wasn't eating as I would just get terrorised sat in the playground eating my lunch. Eventually I started eating hot meals at the canteen though, even if I was just eating them on my own and having food thrown at me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:09 pm

OK, I wasn't the most liked person in the school but I must say I never really got bullied to the extent other Aspies here say they did. I just got teased, intimidated, and laughed at a bit, but it didn't last long and it didn't cause much emotional damage, although I did get wound up and angry when it did happen.

The worst thing of all was in my last year of school, when the only friends I had were being horrible to me; calling me ''weird'' to my face, not talking to me when I know I hadn't done anything, and made me look like a bully to other kids when clearly I wasn't. This all made me really angry, and one Friday I nearly walked out of the school, but couldn't because the headmaster was standing right outside the classroom door at the time. Otherwise, I would have walked out of school, ignoring any teacher trying to call me back in, and I would have walked home.

I think those ''friends'' I had were partly the reason why I've grown up into such a socially pessimistic person. Also it's partly their fault I didn't do that well in my exams.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

I was bullied and it bothered me a lot. I stopped going to school, and missed all my exams. Because of that it has impacted on my life - I've even be turned down for a job at McDonalds due to not having the most basic qualifications. I felt very angry for a long time, certainly well after I'd left school. I don't feel angry any more. I think it's normal to fee upset if you have been mistreated.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

I was bullied a lot in school and I'll never get over it. I wish I could have been home schooled.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

I did have it really bad at school, humiliated too many times to count, but there are still others who had it worse and have it worse.

I was only in 1 or 2 physical fights, but verbal fights there was a lot of with this 1 certain girl who was egged on by others to always try and have a go at me.

What hurts the most is the videos of people took of me are STILL on YouTube, even after I've reported them to YouTube more than enough times, and my dad even tried chasing this 1 guy down who was the owner of the channel to take them down, but we couldn't track him down.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
I did have it really bad at school, humiliated too many times to count, but there are still others who had it worse and have it worse.

I was only in 1 or 2 physical fights, but verbal fights there was a lot of with this 1 certain girl who was egged on by others to always try and have a go at me.

What hurts the most is the videos of people took of me are STILL on YouTube, even after I've reported them to YouTube more than enough times, and my dad even tried chasing this 1 guy down who was the owner of the channel to take them down, but we couldn't track him down.

Oh that's horrible, poor you :(

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

I don't get this poll. Who'd be bullied but enjoyed it? That makes NO sense. Was I happy and smiling when they made me take off my boots in the snow and then they threw it across the street? Was I happy and smiling when they pushed me off my bike and bent the frame? Was I happy and smiling when they stuck gum on my seat that ended up on my pants? Was I happy and smiling when they made me give up my seat on the school bus ride back home? Was I happy and smiling when they CONSTANTLY made fun of my accent? No wonder I skipped the prom and tried to get out of the yearbook. If my HS burned to the ground I wouldn't shed a f*cking tear.

Last edited by redrobin62 on 21 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

I was & it was upsetting but I never changed who I was because of it..

Sincerely,
Matthew

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I don't get this poll. Who'd be bullied but enjoyed it? That makes NO sense. Was I happy and smiling when they made me take off my boots in the snow and then they threw it across the street? Was I happy and smiling when they pushed me off my bike and bent the frame? Was I happy and smiling when they stuck gum on my seat that ended up on my pants? Was I happy and smiling when they made me give up my seat on the school bus ride back home? If my HS burned to the ground I wouldn't shed a f*cking tear.

No one said anything about enjoyment or happiness in bullying, I said did it BOTHER you. Some people don't care if they were bullied, because it never bothered them, they just thought the kids were idiots, but others WERE bothered, and were very hurt and traumatised by it all.

You have misread and misinterpreted EVERYTHING.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

Well, he DID get the bully part of it.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Yes, I don't believe anyone would honestly not be bothered by bullying. But in retrospect, I really didn't behave well and wonder if I deserved some of it.