Do i have asperger's or social anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

frostkitten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

I always thought i had social anxiety and i still think I do because honestly when it comes to family and close friends i talk perfectly fine yet at school i barely talk. I dont have any obsessions or anything and a lot of other symptoms of aspergers. The psychologist that i went seemed like he specialized in aspergers so as soon as not talking was mentioned he instantly thought it was that.

These are all symptoms of social anxiety that i have:
Excessive self-consciousness and anxiety in everyday social situations
Intense worry for days, weeks, or even months before an upcoming social situation Extreme fear of being watched or judged by others, especially people you don’t know
Fear that you’ll act in ways that that will embarrass or humiliate yourself
Fear that others will notice that you’re nervous

I hate going to school i'm probably going to drop out i can't stand it, i also can't stand doing presentations which is why i skipped almost every one.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't know how old you are, but I wouldn't recommend dropping out of school over this.

Suck it up, we all had to.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

Is your social anxiety based on past experience of rejection? Because, if you never had any social problems beyond anxiety, then I don't see how you could have Asperger's.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

I would think a lot of people with AS have social anxiety, feeling anxious and unable to cope in social situations is something that comes along with AS often I would think. Though obviously not everyone with social anxiety is going to have AS. I guess the only way to find out is to see a psych and be tested...

Yeah useless post sorry xD

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2012, 1:29 pm

again_with_this wrote:
I don't know how old you are, but I wouldn't recommend dropping out of school over this.

Suck it up, we all had to.

This.

And on your diagnosis; visit a qualified psychiatrist; NO ONE else can diagnose you, especially not you yourself.
BONUS: The psychiatrist will 99% certainly prescribe medicine to calm you way down, and you can easily cope with school then!

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

It's difficult to say much about you having Asperger's Syndrome (AS) from what you have posted. However, I can say that you most likely suffer from social anxiety issues. What caused them though is difficult to say. Do you have problems judging good natured teasing versus mean teasing? If so then the root cause could be AS because of the tendency aspies have for taking everything literally. Are you good at picking out sarcasm? If not then that can point to AS as well. Is your speech formal and proper most of the time? If so then you might have AS. I picked out these traits in particular for how others will react to them. The negative reactions they engender can lead to severe social anxiety and would tend to point to both conditions being present at the same time.

NatureLover
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2012, 5:26 pm

Sounds like social anxiety, but you never know right? You could have mild Asperger's or just share some of the traits, but I would go for a diagnosis, something that I want to do but can't. I have social anxiety too and the symptoms you posted sound just like me.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2012, 5:43 pm

I agree with NatureLover - I too have social anxiety and your symptoms sound very similar to mine. Don't drop out of school because of this. I've had social phobia since the fifth grade and am still dealing with it now as a senior in high school.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 5:58 pm

You don't need to meet all the AS criteria to have a diagnose of AS.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

See useful diagrams in this thread in SAD forum (post 3 + 5) that kind of helps differentiate between the two:

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. I think I'm starting to accept it.
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... ng-192711/