Why do some NTs obsess over celebrities?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm

My little sister who is 11 obsesses over a band called 1 direction. She has posters of the band all over her walls in her room! Her friends do the same thing. Most NT little girls do that sort of thing. I never did and I dont think I ever will. There are celebritys that I like but I dont see why you would obsess over an other human being. What good have they ever done for anyone if you dont personally know them? The only celebritys I like are the ones that do things to benifit some one or some thing in some way. I just dont under stand why people obsess over people they never met and probly never will meet. :x

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 11:50 pm

With kids, I think a lot of it has to do with influence from friends and others at school. Some kids (not all) feel pressured to like bands, movies and television shows that their peers are into in order to feel accepted by them. Other kids choose their interests based on what is directed at their age group. That's why so many preteen girls are crazy about Justin Bieber - his image was created with the interests of this age group in mind.

I can admit to being obsessed with certain bands throughout my teen years. Granted, they were bands most kids my age had never even heard of. Sixpence None the Richer and The Cranberries were huge with me when I was in my early teens.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm

My sister had David Cassidy and Donny Osmand... this was the early 70's

Maybe by having the 'coolest thing' on their wall, they hope to gain something

What, I'm not sure..... coolness?

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm

IndieSoul wrote:
With kids, I think a lot of it has to do with influence from friends and others at school. Some kids (not all) feel pressured to like bands, movies and television shows that their peers are into in order to feel accepted by them. Other kids choose their interests based on what is directed at their age group. That's why so many preteen girls are crazy about Justin Bieber - his image was created with the interests of this age group in mind.

I can admit to being obsessed with certain bands throughout my teen years. Granted, they were bands most kids my age had never even heard of. Sixpence None the Richer and The Cranberries were huge with me when I was in my early teens.

They are mindless! Most dont even try to find their own inertests and likes. This is when I like aspergers, I have my own mind and it cares little about what the other minds are doing.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 11:59 pm

Kaelynn wrote:
They are mindless! Most dont even try to find their own inertests and likes. This is when I like aspergers, I have my own mind and it cares little about what the other minds are doing.

A-freakin'-men to that! At 15 I'd just discovered the music of Fleetwood Mac for the first time. I've listened to it ever since (I'm listening to it now).

-RUSH

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 12:03 am

With kids, they are reacting to the marketing of the celebrity/band and the bandwagon effect. With adults, they realize(at least subconsciously) that they will never amount to anything substantial so they focus on famous people to distract themselves from their own failure. At least that's the most logical theory I've been able to come up with about it.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2012, 1:15 am

IndieSoul wrote:
With kids, I think a lot of it has to do with influence from friends and others at school.

This.

Some Aspies are obsessed with people they know.
So are some NTs with mental disorders.
Some Aspies are obsessed with celebrities, too... especially if it relates to a special interest.

People fantasize about celebrities and are interested in their lives because celebrities have lives that most people never will.
That's why people watch celebrities spend absorbent amounts of money on clothes, houses, and hair extensions; watch them date a million guys, etc.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

I have no idea. When I was a teenager, I came up with a phrase to describe popular culture. I called it "Toilet Paper Culture". Why? because you wipe your arse with it once and then flush it down the toilet. It has no lasting value, no sense of permanence and will be forgotten when the next big fad comes along.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2012, 1:20 am

outofplace wrote:
I have no idea. When I was a teenager, I came up with a phrase to describe popular culture. I called it "Toilet Paper Culture". Why? because you wipe your arse with it once and then flush it down the toilet. It has no lasting value, no sense of permanence and will be forgotten when the next big fad comes along.

This is great. :wink:

-RUSH

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2012, 2:05 am

IndieSoul wrote:
Kaelynn wrote:

A-freakin'-men to that! At 15 I'd just discovered the music of Fleetwood Mac for the first time. I've listened to it ever since (I'm listening to it now).

Well, it may surprise you to let that some NT's listen to Fleetwood Mac also

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2012, 2:10 am

Shellfish wrote:
IndieSoul wrote:
Kaelynn wrote:

Well, it may surprise you to let that some NT's listen to Fleetwood Mac also

I'm not surprised, and I'm not assuming all NTs listen to bad music or that Fleetwood Mac is limited to a particular counterculture. I was only stating that an interest like this might come across as different for someone in my age group. I don't recall mentioning anything about NTs and their musical tastes - all I said was that I got into Fleetwood Mac when I was 15.

-RUSH

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 6:58 am

I am obsessed with people but not celebrities. People annoy me when they know everything about celebrities, and they annoy me even more when they look proud that they know so much about some famous person I never even heard of.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 7:26 am

I'm obsessed with celebrities from a different time, when celebrities weren't so shallow.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

I develop special interests with celebrities I feel emotionally connected to.

When I was 10, I felt like I had to be into NKOTB cuz all of my classmates were. I never got it, but I was able to pretend pretty well!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 10:18 am

I don't know....why do autistic people have special interests? :twisted:

But I've obsessed over bands such as Pink Floyd, because the music is amazing...though I know some people obsess over like the physical appearance of the band members but I imagine just as autistic people develop special interests neurotypicals develop obsessions.

annanah
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

johnsmcjohn wrote:
With kids, they are reacting to the marketing of the celebrity/band and the bandwagon effect. With adults, they realize(at least subconsciously) that they will never amount to anything substantial so they focus on famous people to distract themselves from their own failure. At least that's the most logical theory I've been able to come up with about it.

Agreed. If someone is a great acter or artist then it is logical that one might admire them, but when it's just obsession over someone pretty and rich's life, then it's usually simply a distraction from ones own unfulfilling life.