Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

hellokittyluvr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

yes, I cant stand when people think when someone is autistic they think of the worst cases.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:22 pm

What's exactly wrong with being ret*d? From where I'm sitting, I find the majority of people who have a normal IQ to be as stupid as anyone else.

Wow, you can spell a whole heap of meaningless words and talk about a whole heap of meaningless stuff (which a normal IQ allows). That doesn't make you smart, that just means you can talk about meaningless stuff and spell the words you're speaking. It might make you more academically smart compared to the intellectually ret*d bear, but that's just school.

Forest Gump is a perfect example of this.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

Dillogic wrote:
What's exactly wrong with being ret*d? From where I'm sitting, I find the majority of people who have a normal IQ to be as stupid as anyone else.

Wow, you can spell a whole heap of meaningless words and talk about a whole heap of meaningless stuff (which a normal IQ allows). That doesn't make you smart, that just means you can talk about meaningless stuff and spell the words you're speaking. It might make you more academically smart compared to the intellectually ret*d bear, but that's just school.

Forest Gump is a perfect example of this.

This is wise. It's easy to disregard these ideas but Dillogic really has a very good point.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:37 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
what misunderstanding of what the OP was saying? not sure what you mean...maybe i was the one being misunderstood because i was never agruing against any of that.

To clarify, I never said you were arguing against any of that. I'm saying you missed that in the first place. That's the point the OP was trying to make, but you seemed to think he was saying something like "oh no, I want the people who reject me to all like me," because that's how you replied to it.

It was a simple misunderstanding, misinterpretation on your part. No big deal.

Alright I just don't get what I misunderstood.

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

This is sad. I come back to find so many pages of replies, and I start freaking out, paranoid that this is yet another forum where everyone disagrees with me, and I have to defend myself until I finally give up and stop visiting. Now that the internet has become so mainstream, often times, people will read comments about serious topics, skimming through, completely missing the point, and yet replying their opinion anyway, many of which include insults and vulgarities. ...In other words, its a lot like trying to socialize in the real world. Some are so bad that I just stop visiting the sites altogether.

I am impressed however that this topic did not go down that dark path. Clearly I have found a new home. =)

Esperanza wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
A lot of those "horrible autistic behaviors" are moar like eggspressions of frustration from all the farking up that autistic kids start getting as soon as they are diagnosed with that Big Bad Autismism.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were exactly right about that. I see videos from documentaries, ads and all the other crap there is out there, and parents talk about their autistic kids right in front of them and say terrible things. It's like they really believe their kids are too dumb, mentally challenged, or oblivious to hear what they're saying! No matter how much they read and research about autism, all they hear is, "this magic pill/gas chamber/special diet/prayer system is going to heal your child! Hallelujah!" and NOTHING about the fact that autism isn't the same thing as "deaf" or "stupid". I bet there are hundreds of thousands of non-verbal or mostly non-verbal autistic people all over the place who have to hear their own parents say terrible things about them every single day. I'd flip my sh** in rage and frustration, too!

I feel as though these unintentional bullying causes these victims to becomes even more non vocal, until it does really blow up as some form of tantrum. Its hard to express your feelings and ideas when you are currently in such a mood. And of course, by not being able to communicate something thats so clear in your head, you just get more frustrated. Parents are the childs last resort. If the kid doesnt feel comfortable talking to them about a problem, they never will. Having the parent become the bad guy (even if the parent believes they are doing the right thing) is the worst possible thing.

btbnnyr wrote:
I also discovered the pervasive "your child is mentally ret*d and will never learn anything evar evar evar" so-called professional opinion of the so-called professionals. Hate Hate Hate.

I once knew of a kid who, to me, seemed like a typical 10yo. I was 28 at the time. He was a bit hyper, but he kind of reminded me of myself, only his story was more severe. First day I met him, his mother informed me that he had ADHD and was autistic. I do not know this kids medical history, but to me it felt like his mother was using it as an excuse for his behavior. Maybe it was because I was comparing him to myself when I was 10, but really, hes 10. Hes going to be hyper, and outgoing. The world hasnt crushed his soul yet. He had a broken arm, and his mother blamed it on his condition. Kid was hyper, running and climbing on things he shouldnt (how many kids do this?) and fell.

Because he was so outgoing, he was a bit of an embarrassment, mostly because he saw everyone as his peer group, therefore constantly tried to socialize among his mothers friends who were 30+ yo. As you can imagine, its hard to communicate when you have a 10yo vocabulary. She once announced to everyone how he had not taken his pill that day and to please excuse him. This made me mad, but I said nothing. Whether the kid was aware or not, she was basically embarrassing him.

One time I was eating dinner with his family. He mentioned what he was going to be for Halloween, even though the conversation topic had absolutely nothing to do with costumes. I could feel a sense of embarrassment among the family, and I believe they even questioned his motives. I however continued his conversation topic because I knew... ...we had previously discussed Halloween several minutes earlier, but because there were no pauses in the conversation, the topic quickly changed before he go a word in. This type of situation had always bothered me, as I too dont know what the time limit for such responses is when topics change. How is one ever suppose to socialize if they can never get a word in?

That same day "he did not take his pill" I tried to keep him occupied so that he wouldnt bother his mother. Despite being 10, he did not know how to tie his own shoes. Granted that its probably a little harder to do with a broken arm, his mother thought it was a waste of time, even though I offered to teach him without consulting her first. Like he would never learn because he simply wasnt mentally capable of learning. I do not know of his IQ, or even if he had been tested, but this bothered me because it felt to me like she just assumed he wasnt capable. Im sure at age 10, if he hadnt learned by now, theres probably some type of learning disability involved, but he still seemed normal to me. I ended up just showing him how to make various origami pieces. He was very interested and pleased that I had given him the outcome, but since I didnt try hard to enforce the learning by having him do each step as I did, he never learned. ...but he was calm and sat down the entire time.

Sadly, his mother passed away later that year, and the woman who lives with his father doesnt want him around. I have no idea what had become of that child, but Im sure it cant be good.

btbnnyr wrote:
There's also the 20, 30, 40 hours per week spent with various therapists, eggspecially ABA therapists. Looking back at myself at age three, four, five, six, seven, I couldn't have survived that without eggspressing some major frustrations. I would have been in a constant state of meltdown or shutdown and not been able to learn anything to develop my brrrainzzz. I am so glad that I eggscaped all that.

Despite not being ever diagnosed with anything officially, I do have some experiences with psychologists and behavior therapy. Despite being nightmarish, I actually enjoyed the visits, mostly because I was out of school. It was always better to be there than at school. ...but who knows what lesson plan I had missed that day. I also got pretty good grades despite having all the other students claiming I was ret*d. The source of psychologist visits were due to the time when my own teacher wanted my parents to enroll me in special ed. I already knew kids who were in there. They truly were mentally ret*d, as in slow. Many were even disabled to the point that they would never learn anything academically. Like regular school, everything is catered to the lowest common denominator. I doubt that I would be given a lesson plan suitable to my needs. As an adult, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if I had been put in that class. They arent going to be taught the same things as regular children. It may even be another kindergarten for all I know. Due to my teachers actions, I was tested, and ended up with a high IQ. Even though mensa accepts such a score, the number doesnt mean anything to me, as why should it? I almost ended up in special ed!! ! I am so thankful my parents refused. ...although I do sometimes wonder why they allowed me to stay in her class.

InThisTogether wrote:
His interests are about 2 years younger than his peers.

What is he interested in?

I may have a story that might help you and your child emotionally. At some point cartoons become childish, right? So many adults think cartoons are for children. They wouldnt dream of watching TV14+ cartoons despite their adult humor and stories. They will even refuse to watch family friendly cartoons like those from pixar simply because they are "for children." You wanna know what I used to do for a living? I got paid to color and watch cartoons. I am totally serious about this. When I was 8, I wanted to be a cartoonist/animator when I grew up. In college, when asked, I started feeling very awkward about telling people this. But you know what? I ended up doing it. Some of the stuff I have worked on has aired on cartoon network, adult swim, nicktoons, and the CW, as well as shown on various theatre screenings.

Not sure what your kid is interested in, but who knows what it could lead to. I know they say "It gets better" but it does. ...just stinks that so many have to wait so long.

Quote:
And because he is not obviously impaired, there is no taboo against bullying him, and society's response seems to be that he needs to toughen up. Not fair.

Lemme guess... ...if he tries to defend himself, HE is the one that gets in trouble.

Quote:
It's funny, though. Not "ha ha" funny. The other kind of funny. In conversations like this I often pick up another form of subtle...well....not bullying, really....but maybe dismissal of another person's experience due to the assumption that yours is superior.

Some people, upon realizing that they will never "fit in" respond by feeling depressed. They recognize that the "problem" isn't with "the rest of the world," but with them.

Some people, upon realizing that they will never "fit in" respond by disavowing the group they will never fit in with. They determine that the "problem" was never with them to begin with, it was with "the rest of the world" for not changing to accommodate them.

Its hard to assume such a majority would make such accommodations for so little few. ...then again, they somehow managed to ban peanuts in various schools, so why not?

Quote:
I can understand how someone would come to either conclusion. I think that both conclusions are valid based on a person's underlying personality, beliefs, and values. I do not think one response is "better" than the other, and I see both responses as having definite drawbacks.

To me "Its THEM" is a good defence. And by placing the blame on them, it helps lift the weight of not fitting in off you. You stop trying to be someone you're not, and can finally be yourself. It may even sound a bit stuck up, but by pretending your better than everyone else BECAUSE you're not "them" your self esteem and confidence is risen. The problem is believing in that though. I will tell myself this, even though many times I will still feel "Its ME."

Quote:
What I find interesting is that people who respond in the former way are often then further....can't pull the word that belongs here...like ostracized but not quite...by the later group because the later group seems to believe their "way" of dealing with it is superior in some way; that everyone should just shun society as a whole and blame society for everything.

Well, its hard to keep telling yourself "its them" when the few others who might actually be like you disagree.

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Quote:
Callista wrote:
Sweetleaf, it doesn't. There's more to the world than mainstream society. You do not have to "fit in" to connect with other people. A confident weirdo will even be more accepted than a neurotic person who is constantly checking to make sure they're acting normal enough. We have to learn that other people's opinions of us do not determine our worth.

Yeah I know there is more to the world then that, that's what I was saying...its not like I never socialize with anyone because I don't fit in with that, there are plenty of other people who don't either.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Callista wrote:
Fact is, even if we could act completely normal and fit in whenever we wanted to, most of us would be bored to tears by "mainstream society". We are simply not in the average range. We need to interact with the kind of people we actually find interesting--not the kind of people that the world says are worthwhile to interact with. Much of the time, that means other people who are also atypical in some way, or at least people who share our intense interests.

Trying to be normal wouldn't make us happy even if we could do it perfectly. It's only in being yourself, unapologetically, and connecting your real self to the people you actually find interesting to be with, that you will find satisfying social interaction.

Well yeah I don't try to be normal so I agree with all that.

Well at some point you realize on your own that you will never be normal, so you just stop trying. I believe this is when most of us start becoming what many consider "antisocial."

Tawaki wrote:
Sorry, for the great unwashed, Autism=mentally/socially ret*d. It's kids banging their heads on the floor, screaming and wearing a diaper.

Fior told his relatives he was diagnosed as Autistic, which is true, since the DSM has lumped everything into a spectrum now. His relatives called ME, wondering if Fior had lost his mind. Autism is non verbal kids that smear poop and bite their hands, per his mom.

Le Sigh.

I just say Asperger if I'm really must say anything to folks not familiar with spectrum issues. Joe Critter Six Pack "gets" Asperger Syndrome. It Does Not Compute for Joe, when a man can talk about Higgs Bosons, says he has Autism. Joe is thinking a kid with a helmet.

And I don't have the energy or patience to explain the reworkings of the DSM to Joe Critter.

quoting simply due to amusement. =)

nrau wrote:
It feels cool to be a ret*d.

ignorance is bliss?

I know that its already been mentioned here, but in a way, being an NT may actually be better simply because ignorance IS bliss. What many of you dislike of NTs, wouldnt matter so much if you really were one. Not saying at all that if there were a cure, it should be considered. Just saying that life might be a tad bit easier. Sometimes I wonder if these so called AS "super powers" are worth anything. Im sure there probably are, but is it worth the burden?

Sweetleaf wrote:
again_with_this wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well yeah I am aware NTs do not have the same problems people with autism have.......I already realize all of this.

Yes, and as you recall, this was response to your misunderstanding what the OP was saying.

what misunderstanding of what the OP was saying? not sure what you mean...maybe i was the one being misunderstood because i was never agruing against any of that.

I think what happened was that it appeared as though you were saying "Screw NTs! Who needs em! Why would you want to socialize with the likes of them when they could care less about you?" rather than understand that we all still need some, even if little, social interaction. Either that, or Im just as lost as you =)

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
I'd rather not be officially diagnosed with anything.

So what would you rather be seen as? Lazy? Rude? Having a whole bunch of character flaws? Stoned? These are just some of the labels given to people before their Asperger's is recognised (and sometimes after, because people really don't get it for the most part).

Yeah, but theyre just going to continue thinking that unless you start wearing a shirt everyday that read "Please excuse my behavior, I have AS" How many of these people ever ask "Why?" Unless you're asked "why?" you cant exactly tell them why you're not all those things you mentioned.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:29 pm

UmmYeahOk wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Quote:
Callista wrote:
Sweetleaf, it doesn't. There's more to the world than mainstream society. You do not have to "fit in" to connect with other people. A confident weirdo will even be more accepted than a neurotic person who is constantly checking to make sure they're acting normal enough. We have to learn that other people's opinions of us do not determine our worth.

Yeah I know there is more to the world then that, that's what I was saying...its not like I never socialize with anyone because I don't fit in with that, there are plenty of other people who don't either.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Callista wrote:
Fact is, even if we could act completely normal and fit in whenever we wanted to, most of us would be bored to tears by "mainstream society". We are simply not in the average range. We need to interact with the kind of people we actually find interesting--not the kind of people that the world says are worthwhile to interact with. Much of the time, that means other people who are also atypical in some way, or at least people who share our intense interests.

Trying to be normal wouldn't make us happy even if we could do it perfectly. It's only in being yourself, unapologetically, and connecting your real self to the people you actually find interesting to be with, that you will find satisfying social interaction.

Well yeah I don't try to be normal so I agree with all that.

Well at some point you realize on your own that you will never be normal, so you just stop trying. I believe this is when most of us start becoming what many consider "antisocial."

Except that is not the definition of anti-social is anti-social doesn't really mean you avoid people it more means you behave in ways that distress or harm other people on a regular basis. Trying to stay out of peoples way is not quite the same thing. I would agree that is how many people use anti-social but its not the correct definition.

Sweetleaf wrote:
again_with_this wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well yeah I am aware NTs do not have the same problems people with autism have.......I already realize all of this.

Yes, and as you recall, this was response to your misunderstanding what the OP was saying.

I think what happened was that it appeared as though you were saying "Screw NTs! Who needs em! Why would you want to socialize with the likes of them when they could care less about you?" rather than understand that we all still need some, even if little, social interaction. Either that, or Im just as lost as you =)

Hmm well that is not really what I was saying at all, more that I myself am ok with not fitting in with what one would refer to as normal people and neurotypicals...and see no reason to really dwell on it since I don't really want to fit in with them anyways. I don't see where I indicated one could get by with no interaction whatsoever.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Nonperson and Sweetleaf, I think you both missed the point UmmYeahOk is making.

He's not talking about how others treat him. He's talking about the realization that why he's so out-of-step with others isn't simply their rejection of him, but his own inability to naturally engage with them. And I think the depressing realization for him, and many of us, is that we'll always be out of step, it will never ever come naturally. And sometimes the truth can be depressing.

Then he really shouldn't say "fault", which has such definitions as "a wrongful act" and "a misdeed or transgression" as well. But since he says you're right I'll leave it at that.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Some people, upon realizing that they will never "fit in" respond by disavowing the group they will never fit in with. They determine that the "problem" was never with them to begin with, it was with "the rest of the world" for not changing to accommodate them.

Wow - you make it sound really selfish and unreasonable, when for the most part in the case of AS it's people who simply want not to be harassed and bullied for harmless differences in their behavior. But then, it does seem to be the attitude of the majority that simply resisting the urge to be cruel to that "weird person" is an intolerable burden for the majority, while a life of abuse is only what the weird person deserves.

Well, it is the normal attitude, isn't it? Aspies are treated that way, and so are ugly people, fat people, just plain stupid (but not ret*d) people... all of these are apparently too offensive to simply be left in peace, but need to be ridiculed and shamed until they know not to show themselves in public any more. I swear some NTs consider this some kind of duty. And yes, adults do it, just with a bit more subtlety than kids. Simply "forgiving" people what they might not even have any control over is apparently very, very difficult for people. I don't see what's so terrible about it, but I'm a non-person.

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Except that is not the definition of anti-social is anti-social doesn't really mean you avoid people it more means you behave in ways that distress or harm other people on a regular basis. Trying to stay out of peoples way is not quite the same thing. I would agree that is how many people use anti-social but its not the correct definition

Merriam-Webster wrote:
Main Entry: an·ti·so·cial 
Pronunciation: \-ˈsō-shəl\
Function: adjective
: hostile or harmful to organized society: as a : being or marked by behavior deviating sharply from the social norm b : of, relating to, or characterized by an antisocial personality, the antisocial personality disorder, or behavior typical of either

dictionary.com wrote:
1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people
2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.

While your definition of the word is included, so is mine. If a kid ends up eating lunch at school alone, silently and not harming anyone, an observer will accuse that child of being "antisocial." That child may even be sent to the counselors office even though he/she did nothing wrong. The kid may not want to socialize with anyone and simply likes being alone. Maybe none of the other children want to sit with him/her. Maybe after so many failed attempts at social interaction he/she just gave up trying. Either way, that child ends up being labeled "antisocial."

As for being hostile... ..."It's always the quiet ones."

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:32 am

Quote:

Is folk wisdom.
Folk wisdom also includes throwing spilled salt over your left shoulder to avoid the bad luck incurred by spilling it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

TheAnarticAnarchist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

The way people view Autism is a pain in the ass. To your average NT, Autism= Pathetic ret*d. So while I'm proud to be an Aspie, I'm afraid to tell people because then they'll look at me and treat me like the kids who still need to be potty-trained. Hell, even if they know me, and I explain that Asperger's is just a more mild form of high-functioning Autism (I hate that term.) I'm afraid they'll still have that thought in the back of their mind "Oh, poor William, his parents must be so worried whenever his ret*d ass leaves the padded room." I know that it's an extreme example, but I know that they'll still have that point-of-view that I need special consideration.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

UmmYeahOk wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Except that is not the definition of anti-social is anti-social doesn't really mean you avoid people it more means you behave in ways that distress or harm other people on a regular basis. Trying to stay out of peoples way is not quite the same thing. I would agree that is how many people use anti-social but its not the correct definition

Merriam-Webster wrote:
Main Entry: an·ti·so·cial 
Pronunciation: \-ˈsō-shəl\
Function: adjective
: hostile or harmful to organized society: as a : being or marked by behavior deviating sharply from the social norm b : of, relating to, or characterized by an antisocial personality, the antisocial personality disorder, or behavior typical of either

dictionary.com wrote:
1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people
2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.

While your definition of the word is included, so is mine. If a kid ends up eating lunch at school alone, silently and not harming anyone, an observer will accuse that child of being "antisocial." That child may even be sent to the counselors office even though he/she did nothing wrong. The kid may not want to socialize with anyone and simply likes being alone. Maybe none of the other children want to sit with him/her. Maybe after so many failed attempts at social interaction he/she just gave up trying. Either way, that child ends up being labeled "antisocial."

Yeah I have had those accusations directed at me.....because I ended up eating lunch alone and didn't have friends and was alone a lot. Not by choice, more because people either wanted to exclude or bully me so I didn't have much choice. And yeah either anti-social or worse a 'psychopath'.

And though this would not be totally accurate I think a good response to that would be 'yeah if you constantly torment the quiet ones.'

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 10:46 am

TheAnarticAnarchist wrote:
The way people view Autism is a pain in the ass. To your average NT, Autism= Pathetic ret*d. So while I'm proud to be an Aspie, I'm afraid to tell people because then they'll look at me and treat me like the kids who still need to be potty-trained. Hell, even if they know me, and I explain that Asperger's is just a more mild form of high-functioning Autism (I hate that term.) I'm afraid they'll still have that thought in the back of their mind "Oh, poor William, his parents must be so worried whenever his ret*d ass leaves the padded room." I know that it's an extreme example, but I know that they'll still have that point-of-view that I need special consideration.

I resonate with this post a lot, sadly :(

Then I have done my job