took Wechsler and other tests and I'll finally know

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SolAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

whether I have Asperger's or ADHD when I go back for the feedback session this week and I'm really scared. I've always known that my social skills weren't that great but at least I thought I was smart but I did horrible on the arithmetic part of the WAIS IV. I only got up to question 3. I couldn't even keep the problem in my head long enough to finish it before my time was up. Then I choked on one design in block design even though I thought that was the easiest part of the test and he asked me three different times during vocabulary and similarities if I could clarify something. The only thing I feel well about were the picture puzzles. where I had to choose the next picture that logically fits the sequence. I feel like I'm going just so he can tell me that I lack social skills and am not as smart as I thought....that's a pretty depressing thought considering at least people in my world thought I was smart even if my social skills sucked. Also, if I'm not
an Aspie ...is it still okay to hang out here...that's why I don't post much 'cause I feel like maybe I shouldn't since I don't even know if i'm a real aspie and if I do find out I'm an Aspie...I don't know how I'll feel...I thought I'd feel relieve but I kinda of feel partly upset and I don't know why...what did you guys do when you got the diagnosis? Any tips or words of advice?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

Good luck with getting your results, and hope it's something that you are accepting or happy with.

I'm sure you'll still be welcome here. There are people who are self-diagnosed here and people with other conditions too, so it's not only people with AS.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

You will be yourself anyway. Don't give WAIS IV a power it doesn't have. A test can't tell who you are. If people in your world think you are smart, ok they will contimue to think so. It's OK to hangout there, it's an autism community and it's open to all people on the spectrum and also to parents of autistic kids like me.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Don't be so concerned with names. You are you, it never changes.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 7:35 pm

SolAngel wrote:
[...] but I did horrible on the arithmetic part of the WAIS IV. I only got up to question 3. I couldn't even keep the problem in my head long enough to finish it before my time was up. Then I choked on one design in block design even though I thought that was the easiest part of the test[...]

Look here! I suxxor @ mathz and this was enlightening, it's very possible its one of the spectrumz.

SolAngel wrote:
[...] Also, if I'm not an Aspie ...is it still okay to hang out here...that's why I don't post much 'cause I feel like maybe I shouldn't since I don't even know if i'm a real aspie and if I do find out I'm an Aspie...I don't know how I'll feel...I thought I'd feel relieve but I kinda of feel partly upset and I don't know why...what did you guys do when you got the diagnosis? [...]

SolAngel wrote:
[...] Any tips or words of advice?

Don't be completely absurd!

Is this a Private Aspie Posting Club?  or A place that people can hope to find helpful stuff?
It better be the latter or it's not worth the paper it's not printed on!

  ----------------------------
You don't post!? Much!?? Don't be so selfish with your thoughts and mind!!

you brat =P

SolAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2012, 9:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess you guys are right. I was me before the test and I'll be the same person afterwards but I can't wait until next year so that whatever he has to say will have paled in my memory....and I hope I remember some of the things you guys wrote after the feedback session this week....and 1401b...thanks you made me laugh and the link you sent seems like it could be a possibility.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 1:49 am

You may experience a certain post-diagnosis trauma after you got your dx (this may be some other ASD like PDD-NOS, not only AS), but soon you'll be over it, with a better picture of yourself in your mind and better equipped to cope with life.