Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:43 am

What do you think of puzzle pieces being the symbol for autism awareness?

What does it mean to you?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:57 am

It doesn't mean anything to me.

It's kinda ugly.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 2:35 am

I like it. I have always seen the world as full of puzzles to solve! I like how it looks, also, although potentially a different colour scheme... Like different shades of one colour? Maybe....

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 2:56 am

I don't want to be a logo.

I'm sick of logos.

EQ: 6.

servicedogrights25
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 6:57 am

Personally, I think it is an excellent choice for autism awareness. Autism is considered a puzzle that has yet to be solved. There are few, very few people in the world that can truly understand how we work, and even then we can still be unpredictable.
However...
I have always been a fan of the butterfly. But I can see that many men and boys would not like to be a butterfly. I just thought it was a beautiful symbol and it represented well because butterflies are mysterious and could flit away at any moment. Not only that, but they all have different wing patterns and thus each is unique and wonderful.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 7:00 am

The colours are too bright for me. Especially the yellow, almost hurts my eyes, followed by the red. Perhaps in different colours.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 7:11 am

Sometimes it's done well. The OP's illustration is not one of those cases.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 7:37 am

Personally, I dislike it.

Saying something is a puzzle implies they're a 'solution'. So, like, we're a problem.

I don't see why we need a logo. I can see why individual charities would need an identifier, and I suppose it does encapsulate how Autism Speaks seems to view Autistic people. We're more common than cancer, guys!

/Rant off!

That aside, those colours are garish. it reminds me of a small child's bedroom.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 7:50 am

I like it. I like the bright, cheerful colors. I like puzzles. I like the idea of things fitting together perfectly. I like everything about it.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 10:06 am

The puzzle reminds me that there is a piece missing from us, but i like to think that there is an extra piece that just doesn't fit in.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:09 am

I feel more like we're the piece that doesn't quite fit into society by seeing the symbol. I don't know whether or not this is a good symbol of autism; I'd rather have just a colored ribbon, not a symbol that makes me feel inadequate and like I don't fit and am misunderstood. :?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:24 am

This site seems to explain its origins:

http://www.pinningdownautism.com/autism.html

Quote:
The Significance of the Puzzle Piece Image

The puzzle piece logo was first created in 1963 by the National Autistic Society. They explain “that the symbol of the Society should be the puzzle as this did not look like any other commercial or charitable one as far as they could discover. The puzzle piece is so effective because it tells us something about autism: our children are handicapped by a puzzling condition; this isolates them from normal human contact and therefore they do not 'fit in'.”

Since then, the interlocking, mutli-colored puzzle piece has become the international symbol of autism. Its significance has become multi-faceted. For some it represents the mystery and complexity of the disorder, for others it represents the mechanical nature of an autistics persons thought process. The bright colors are said to represent hope.

(Bolding emphasis mine.)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

I enjoyed playing with jigsaw puzzles when I was little, enjoyed tremendously. Yet the puzzle piece logo brings up no warm fuzzies at all. The bright colors are their number one aesthetic offense. They are ugly together.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I enjoyed playing with jigsaw puzzles when I was little, enjoyed tremendously. Yet the puzzle piece logo brings up no warm fuzzies at all. The bright colors are their number one aesthetic offense. They are ugly together.

Is the whole "rainbow" of colors to show uniqueness, or something? I wish they'd just choose ONE color and stick to it.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

I just noticed there's a swastika in the middle of it. That's not cool.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

I don't like the puzzle piece logo. I'm not a puzzle. Autism may be an intriguing scientific challenge, but so is every other disorder out there that hasn't been fully described. I don't have any pieces missing; I'm different, but I'm okay the way I am.

The primary challenge of autism is to find a way to teach and include children with autism so that they grow up to be happy, competent autistic adults. The puzzle piece logo just says too much about people having to fix us or put us together. I would much prefer something like the rainbow infinity symbol--it has the same sense of mystery about it, but infinity as a concept is complete and interesting to learn about, and very useful for mathematics. I'd want us to be known as unusual people who come in a spectrum of possibilities, perhaps a little mysterious but nothing that a person can't understand. The rainbow infinity symbol fulfills that purpose.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com