Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

I can always tell if another person is autistic just by looking at them and I've never been wrong once! I've also had other autistics come up to me and confidently ask me if I have a form of autism. Do any of you have the "autism radar"?

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

I have seen some people out and about and thought, "they look autistic".. mostly people on the lower end of the spectrum.. there's something in the way they walk and talk I think...

The idea is quite funny, I smiled just reading your post, it's like we're all little aliens posing as humans, who can only spot each other xD

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 10:31 am

I can spot them too, it is a knack I've got; like noticing if a member creates sock-puppet accounts. :wink:

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

Since I have learned so much more about myself since coming here on WP, though I have been diagnosed 2 times, I can also spot those with Autism. I see the same behaviors in them as I see in me.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 10:52 am

Since I've learned AS traits from here and you tube there are certain similarities. Think with more exposure it could work like 'gaydar' that I learned hanging out with a gay friend.

I started out with no idea but after a year I could tell a gay/lesbian across a room, no idea why in most cases. Was unusual in my case being straight but seemed common in the gay community.

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

Yes and no.

I have my suspicions, but I wouldn't want to be too presumptuous. Plus, sometimes I wonder if it's projection, wanting to see in others what we see in ourselves.

So I speculate, but I don't matter-of-factly diagnose others.

rapscallion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

I catch myself thinking that about others at times. But I try to avoid it.
If a qualified medical professional wouldn't under the same circumstances, I shouldn't either.

But that reminds me of this :
As a kid I would rub a large piece coral on my face because I loved the feeling. about a year ago I showed that same piece of coral to my friend. after staring at it for a few seconds he said, "I wanna rub it on my face but I know you won't let me"! It blew me away but maybe everybody likes rubbing coral on their face. :)

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Never met another person with ASD, at least not to my knowledge

rapscallion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

I catch myself thinking that about others at times. But I try to avoid it.
If a qualified medical professional wouldn't under the same circumstances, I shouldn't either.

But that reminds me of this :
As a kid I would rub a large piece coral on my face because I loved the feeling. about a year ago I showed that same piece of coral to my friend. after staring at it for a few seconds he said, "I wanna rub it on my face but I know you won't let me"! It blew me away but maybe everybody likes rubbing coral on their face. :)

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

This exact question was asked less than a week ago...
Again: Yup, with ease.

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

Can you spot em' by what or how they post?

Typical boards display a lot of emotion encircling and biasing the facts as they want to see them. And sometimes/enough times a testosterone shouting ego match.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 3:12 pm

I can identify an NT signature style in posts. I don't know how to describe it, eggsacly, but I know it when I see it. I don't see it much on WP, but eberry once in awhile, I do.

Typical boards are fun to read. They have a lot of back-and-forth stuff like NTs usually do with each other.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:27 pm

Sometimes. I have a few people I suspect of being on the spectrum around me now that I know what to look for. However, I don't want to be too presumptuous and end up being wrong and insulting them either.

Nerdyimperator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Yes, my aspiedar seems to work pretty well!

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

I often think it about people I meet and the occasional person I know. As often as not though I would be equally unsuprised to find that the person's in question give off a similar vibe due to an anxiety disorder of some description.

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

Quote:
I can identify an NT signature style in posts. I don't know how to describe it, eggsacly, but I know it when I see it. I don't see it much on WP, but eberry once in awhile, I do.

Typical boards are fun to read. They have a lot of back-and-forth stuff like NTs usually do with each other.

Internet is so much different from real life... ^^

I sometimes think they have en Aspergers attitude, but howere I don't see them enough or I can't ask (that would be rather strange...). So I just can affirm they have some traits...