Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 5:54 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
It's kinda strange reading this thread, as a black person with ASD. :P

I agree. :lol:
It was kind of weird for me to read too.

I have noticed those who are LFA are more likely to be diagnosed, particularly in minority groups.

But personally, I had much bigger problems growing up than being aspie. It certainly didn't help in many areas, but I had to deal with other things, there wasn't that much time to focus on my weirdness. Sometimes that kind of experience puts things in perspective.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

Quote:
The largest increases in prevalence over time were among
Hispanic and black children
White, non-Hispanic children: 70% increase
Black, non-Hispanic children: 91% increase
Hispanic children: 110% increase

Interesting!

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

The only black I've ever suspected of having autism is Michael Jackson

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

wogaboo wrote:

Why would you suspect that? I'd say thats about the least likely mental disorder he had. From what I've read he had in this order:

1. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
2. Body Dysmorphic Disorder
3. Borderline Personality Disorder
4. Maybe Bipolar Disorder

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 3:03 am

Max000 wrote:
wogaboo wrote:

Why would you suspect that? I'd say thats about the least likely mental disorder he had. From what I've read he had in this order:

1. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
2. Body Dysmorphic Disorder
3. Borderline Personality Disorder
4. Maybe Bipolar Disorder

He had all the symptoms of autism:

1) poor social skills-bleaching his skin white and then thinking he could fool people into thinking he had a skin disease. Claiming to be the biological father of 3 Caucasian kids. Making his kids wear masks. Dangling a baby from a balcony. Relating to children as peers.

2) savant like musical/artistic skills

3) obsessions, stereotyped rituals-practiced the same dance moves since childhood

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:03 am

Ganondox wrote:

Its an observation. Lets phrase it like this. First, by higher and lower functioning I meant relatively, not the more absolute terms. In Middle school I was in a program for autistic children, but it was not the special education program. There were two other boys in it, one white and the other either black or mulatto. The white boy was obviously higher functioning. There was also a black girl who may have been in the class, but I'm not quite sure if she was. I think she might have had ADHD, anyway she was quite different from those two other boys and the way she wad involved in the program was different. There was also a boy with AS a grade or two ahead of me who was higher functioning than those two boys. He was white. There was also the special Ed for those with severe cognitive defects. Almost everyone in it was black. In retrospect I realize that some of them had severe autism, and all those ones I remember were black. Finally, all of the other people who I knew in the area who may of had some form of HFA in the area were white.

I think observations are just as important as actual statistics, they are something that can be related to easier and better show how stereotypes arise. Statistics are just cold numbers that people do not see in life.

I think one last thing is important to mention: According to studies a stronger genetic connection was found in HFA and AS than LFA. As of such, chances are race may play a larger role in HFA than LFA. It's well known that some conditions are more common in certain races for one reason or another, so why should this be any different? Most people on this forum are higher functioning/AS, so when they think of autism they probably think of AS. No, race is not the best indicator of genetics, but it still shows something. Even if HFA is equally prevalent among all races it still may be diagnosed in some more than others just as AS is diagnosed a lot more often in bots and girls with AS are less likely to get diagnosed with it. I don't think we should dismiss this quite yet.

Actual statistics are based on observations, as well, but are done using the scientific method and are subject to peer review, per the CDC statistics in the US. Anecdotal observations are important though, because they are often the source of ideas that lead to scientific analysis.

A criticism of the CDC statistics has long been that it measures a limited demographic, and potentially misses milder cases on the spectrum. There is currently a 3 year study being undertaken in the US, costing over 800K, to both try to provide a larger picture of the prevalence statistics, per demographics of the general population, as well as improving the methodology that the CDC uses.

There are no known identified genes associated specific to Asperger's. Currently the mutation that causes Fragile X Syndrome, is by far the greatest genetic factor associated with ASD's as well as intellectual disability, but still is only associated in approximately 5% of ASD's.

The next highest potential associations are mutations that are suspected to combine to create more severe cases of ASD's, but again no genes have been identified as causal factors specific to Aspergers, per the NINDS link below.

Do you have a link that suggests that there is a greater genetic connection with Aspergers and HFA? Even in Silicon valley the only evidence so far, suggests that there is a higher incidence of Autism Disorder as there are no statistics provided that suggest that Aspergers or HFA, occurs at higher prevalence levels.

If that is what you are referring to, that article linked below suggests a surge in Autism Disorder as well as a potential surge of Aspergers, but only provides evidence for a surge in California referred to as class 1 Autism, which some also identify as LFA or Classic Autism. That article has been used as evidence many times for that idea, but does not actually provide it as the author of the article gave an opinion on the Aspergers part that wasn't evidenced in the research, but it stands to reason there was likely an increase there too, in that part of the spectrum, just not a measured one.

There is only evidence presented there that folks in the Tech field had a greater incidence of children with Autism Disorder, however even that implication has been challenged as the same has been identified in other non-tech industry areas where education levels/economic status is higher, as well as the potential of greater awareness and access to a diagnosis.

This factor, in part, may explain why the demographic of African American's in the US, may not be identified by diagnosis per milder cases of ASD's, as well as other factors, that I identified earlier in the discussion, that may apply to your country as well.

The new research that is being done per the general population scan I referred to, will likely provide a clearer answer for the question that remains unanswered as to race/ethnic demographics and severity of the spectrum disorder.

And also may provide a clearer answer as to the actual ratio of male to female cases of ASD's, per this broader scan of the population. This has not been accomplished anywhere as the recent general population scan done in South Korea was limited to school age children, and the one that was done recently in the UK was done using a scale that did not measure the more severe cases of autism spectrum disorders.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm#197383080

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm#197383080

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2012, 3:54 am

This does prove one thing. Autism is very difficult to diagnose in milder cases. It seems a very vague mental disorder at milder grades. I think it makes it easier in a diagnosis if there are comorbid conditions such as OCD, anxiety etc, but these could just muddle the issue.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:47 am

wogaboo wrote:

1) poor social skills-bleaching his skin white and then thinking he could fool people into thinking he had a skin disease.

That describes Body Dysmorphic Disorder, not Autism. And poor social skills does not = Autism. Autism is far more complicated then that. And I don't see the connection or much relevancy in most of you other points either.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 10:03 am

I think its just that white people are just more prone to having mental disorders hence the saying "white people are crazy".

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

Max000 wrote:
wogaboo wrote:

1) poor social skills-bleaching his skin white and then thinking he could fool people into thinking he had a skin disease.

That describes Body Dysmorphic Disorder, not Autism. And poor social skills does not = Autism. Autism is far more complicated then that. And I don't see the connection or much relevancy in most of you other points either.

The autism was that he lied about things that everyone knew were not true. For example he claimed he only had 2 cosmetic operations when everyone could see he had more than a dozen. He didn't know how obvious his lies were because he seemed to lack theory of mind.

And body dysmorphic disorder is probably a symptom of autism because it reveals an obsessive fixated mind.

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
I think its just that white people are just more prone to having mental disorders hence the saying "white people are crazy".

I've read that the rates of mental hospitalization are highest for African Americans and lowest for asian Americans. But then I don't think autistics are crazy; just the opposite: they're not crazy enough.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

There's maybe a hidden idea underlying this topic, which I know is an idea that is very offensive to some people here:

Quote:
Can having a hard life allow you to overcome or suppress many of your AS traits?

I know that's offensive, because it sounds like "just harden up and get over it", which many people cannot do.

But speaking from by own experience, I know that I have learned and grown mainly by going through some tough learning experiences. If I wasn't privileged and pampered, maybe I would have turned out more normal, but at the cost of going through some very painful stuff.

I wouldn't want to assume that others have had a similar experience, though. I understand that many people are much further along the spectrum than me, and no amount of "harden up" is going to transform them into something else.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

Declension wrote:
There's maybe a hidden idea underlying this topic, which I know is an idea that is very offensive to some people here:

Quote:
Can having a hard life allow you to overcome or suppress many of your AS traits?

I know that's offensive, because it sounds like "just harden up and get over it", which many people cannot do.

But speaking from by own experience, I know that I have learned and grown mainly by going through some tough learning experiences. If I wasn't privileged and pampered, maybe I would have turned out more normal, but at the cost of going through some very painful stuff.

I wouldn't want to assume that others have had a similar experience, though. I understand that many people are much further along the spectrum than me, and no amount of "harden up" is going to transform them into something else.

I don't know how hard of a life you are talking about, but I've had some hard times, and I think it's driven me to try to fit in more. But I also felt like I didn't have a support system to back me up, so the costs were higher. It was rough to hide my true self, but now people think I'm normal. In the future, though, I'd love to have a support system and be in an environment where I am more comfortable to express my true self. If I were to choose, I'd rather have that support system from day one than to feel like I have to earn the right to be myself.

But I agree that having a rough life can give you worse problems to worry about than socializing, and can change who you are or how you act to make you want to fit in.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 4:14 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

I suspect 'White people" are more trusting of and more comfortable with seeking out help from psychologists and psychiatrists in the medical community. As such, smaller demand in patients (Blacks) would equal less(documentation of mental illness) and less opportunties for said minorities in the profession to name a couple of outcomes.

People tend to seek out those in a profession that have similaries to themselves except for those who have little representation in the profession; they have fewer choices.

I suspect this would be a bigger dilemma for minority clinical psychologists BUT not for minority school psychologists.

*note: There is also gender/cultural bias in many of the disorders listed in the DSM.

TheSunAlsoRises

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2012, 4:29 pm

I agree with that more white people are just diagnosed, I don't think that there are actually more white people with autism.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

wogaboo wrote:
Max000 wrote:
wogaboo wrote:

The autism was that he lied about things that everyone knew were not true. For example he claimed he only had 2 cosmetic operations when everyone could see he had more than a dozen. He didn't know how obvious his lies were because he seemed to lack theory of mind.

Please do some research. Pathological / compulsive lying is not a trait of Autism. Most Autistics are honest and tell the truth.

Traits of Autism

No or little speech
Non-speech vocalizations
Delayed development of speech
Echolalia: speech consisting of literally repeating something heard
Delayed echolalia: repeating something heard at an earlier time
Confusion between the pronouns "I" and "You"
Lack of interaction
Lack of eye contact
Lack of response to people
Aggressive behavior due to anxiety and/or frustration
When picked up, offering no "help" ("feels like lifting a sack of --potatoes")
Preoccupation with hands
Flapping hands/ this may be accompanied by jumping up and down with excitement
Spinning
Balancing, e.g. as if standing on a fence
Walking on tiptoes
Extreme dislike of certain sounds / may hold hands over ears
Extreme dislike of touching certain textures
Dislike of being touched / close contact
Either extremely passive behavior or extremely nervous, active behavior
Extreme dislike of certain foods
Behavior that is aggressive to others
Lack of interest
Desire to follow set patterns of behavior / interaction
Desire to keep objects in a certain physical pattern
Repetitive behavior
Self-injurious behavior
Ritualistic behavior

Reference: http://www.paains.org.uk/Autism/traits.htm:arrow: Public Autism Awareness