What are the different relationship types?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TowerCrane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

What kind of different romantic/sexual relationships are there?
I've heard there's dating and "hookups".

What exactly does "hookup" mean? Is it a single date with solely a sexual purpose? If so, how do people distinguish between dates with a one-stay sexual purpose and dates with a long-term purpose?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

My definition of dating is getting together with someone to get to know them better and spending time with one another pursuing different interests. Possibly testing compatibility to see if you two have a future together.

My definition of hooking up is basically getting together for the purpose of sex.

To each their own though.

TowerCrane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 6:42 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
My definition of dating is getting together with someone to get to know them better and spending time with one another pursuing different interests. Possibly testing compatibility to see if you two have a future together.

My definition of hooking up is basically getting together for the purpose of sex.

To each their own though.

But how does one differentiate whether the "meeting" in question is a date or a hookup? Is it told explicitly?
As in, how does one differentiate during the encounter.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 8:11 pm

Well usually when you go on a date, you actually plan on going on a date. You usually do something that keeps you entertained like dinner and a movie and when you hook up you can usually tell if the person just wants a one night stand kind of thing. You'll usually end up going straight back to the person's house and not go anywhere else. The person might not try to get to know you as much as somebody would before going out on a planned date.

TowerCrane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Well usually when you go on a date, you actually plan on going on a date. You usually do something that keeps you entertained like dinner and a movie and when you hook up you can usually tell if the person just wants a one night stand kind of thing. You'll usually end up going straight back to the person's house and not go anywhere else. The person might not try to get to know you as much as somebody would before going out on a planned date.

"you can usually tell if the person just wants a one night stand kind of thing"

How exactly? Do they tell you that they want to have sex and not pursue a long-term relationship? And most of the time, do both partners know whether they will have a hookup or a date?