Do you ever tell people you're autistic?

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2015, 5:36 pm

Not really, unless they ask or mention it.

bluegill
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2015, 6:12 pm

I have come out in the open about it and I have become more comfortable because my girlfriend is supportive. I see it more as self-advocacy. Most people in my daily life know; at work I have an "about me" blurb on my door that says I'm an aspie and goes over the basic things people need to know.

wronngbong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2015, 5:07 am

my brothhherr said people
my father hate

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 12:57 pm

Hell no, why would i wanna do that?

I hate being autistic.

wronngbong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2015, 1:29 pm

ii afraid off mockery, i dont say to mockery

Last edited by wronngbong on 06 Dec 2015, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTheBoop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2015, 3:28 pm

Honestly, as much as i am not THAT ashamed to say so, i prefer to avoid it, unless i need to.
It's really nobody's buisness to know that i have a disorder, so as i for their's.

Professionally diagnosed Aspergers
Ambivert
Obsessed on computers, animation, anthro, MLP, gaming, and such.
Proudly Bi / Pansexual
Boop!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 3:38 pm

if its necessary i will but i also let people know if i have issues with something.

for example
Person: want some Rice?
Me: yeah, do you have any ketchup?
Person: Ketchup?? on Rice??
Me: yeah,
Person: why do you put ketchup on rice!? thats gross
Me: the flavour of Rice is too strong so ketchup helps neutralize it
Person: oh, ok then.

or

*person with romantic interest in me starts to hold me*
Me: um, can you please stop, i like you but i dont like being held
Person: oh, okay, sorry

i Only tell people my complete diagnoses if its absolutely necessary, like in the emergancy room, i tell them i have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and dont like being touched or i dont like my stuff being taken away from me. Or i tell my teachers if i know there will be issues in the classroom with certain subjects or if i have a meltdown in school. If people dont see anything wrong or different with me then no one needs to know that i am different.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

Ever since learning of my diagnosis I have found myself telling lots of people - and this includes those whom do not know me. I believe it to be necessary as my voice generally sounds rather monotone and condescending, which is often misinterpreted as some kind of intellectual arrogance - even though I consider myself to be a man of below average intelligence, my tone of voice can often indicate aloofness and derision towards others.

Although the ASD diagnosis has somewhat liberated me, I don't want it to be an excuse for my procrastinatory habits. If I am truly honest with myself, I have recently been talking too much about autism and how it affects my life. It is, however, an explanation for why I am rather awkward in front of other people and why my behaviours can be extremely rigid.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 5:28 pm

I am very open about my Asperger's; much more so than I am about my sexuality. If I start to get to know a person, I don't have a problem telling them that I'm an Aspie so they can better understand anything weird I might do.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 7:16 pm

I'd first have to talk to people. :P

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2015, 3:53 am

Where I come from there isn't much autism awareness & even the so-called experts think it's something like a less severe form of mental retardation so I don't tell people offline that I'm autistic. I have some physical disabilities that I do tell people about & I tell em about my dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 6:11 am

Quite often, actually. People often wonder why I have extensions or test in a separate room and I would tell them that I have special accommodations or a disability. Out of curiosity, they'll ask and I'll answer. I like to be more open about it to show people that it's not something to be ashamed of.

Of course my teachers in high school knew.

There was also that one time I was having a meltdown in the middle of a dorm building on campus and this lady came to comfort me and asked me what was wrong.

Sometimes it'll come up during a conversation with friends, but practically anyone who looks at my Facebook profile enough will find out from a recent post. I ended up posting about being proud to be autistic.

There's also an autism advocacy group on my college campus... ran by NTs. I did not like how it was ran, so I sent their group an email. Now at least their board knows that autistic students exist on campus. :lol:

There was also that one talk I did too in front of dozens of people.

Oh and that one doctor that said autism was a horrible disease during one of my classes.

Also people who reviewed my college applications. And my summer program applications.

Yeah, so lots of people know.

ScorpioIT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2015, 6:54 am

I should note I was formally diagnosed back in 1998.
It does help if you mention it if you do need a bit of extra time during written, long form and practical exams
I have recently made it known at work this also due to my managers asking me to do it.
The managers had suspected before i mentioned it to them directly.

The point was to make people aware and it was well received i have noticed that people have become a little more accommodating and helpful.

I usually give a period three to six months before mentioning it to someone that way as others have said a person may have caught a glimpse of what you are like as person before you give any further detail.

Whether or not I mention it also depends on my mood at the time.

Last edited by ScorpioIT on 07 Dec 2015, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:16 am

I have had a couple of private conversations with people about it. I would not publicly announce it or claim it publicly because I am not diagnosed. But I have mentioned my suspicions to a few people when autism has come up in conversation. (There are a lot of autistic people in my life as well as others who work with autistic people, so this comes up quite a bit.) No one has ever questioned me on it, except my sister who blew it off.

I know people find me "different." I'm pretty sure when I mention my suspicions, they think "Oh, that must be it" and don't think any more about it.

Ultimately, I don't think I need to *tell* anyone that I'm slightly off-kilter. It's pretty obvious. Sometimes I will get comments about it. For example, one person made a slight observation/complaint that I was a bit "distracted" when she was trying to talk to me, but realized that I was still paying attention to everything she said. I come across more as odd/goofy/aloof rather than anti-social, I guess.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2015, 4:49 pm

I don't go around advertising the diagnosis but I won't hide it either. If someone asks me about it I will tell them the truth about it.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 11:51 pm

While I used to, I am not disclosing my diagnosis in the future but in my case I think its pretty obviously something is not right. However, I will leave that up to interpretation now after being accused by various people that I used autism as an excuse to be rude. Honestly I don't know how I will address this in the future but it will definitely be different. I have plenty of time to figure it out though cause I am isolating for at least another year or so. I am not going to significantly leave my apartment until fall of 2016 when I attempt to go back to college.