Asperger, or not... Would it be such a big deal?...

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
http://ebookee.org/Quiet-The-Power-of-Introverts-Susan-Cain-epub-mobi-pdf_1749416.html <-- By recommending it to you I'm not saying you're not an Aspie (I don't know), but I am saying that it's an interesting book that may help you to understand yourself better.
Yes,it is an excellent book,I am reading it now.People with AS tend to focus on their social ineptitude but this book made me keenly aware of the strengths I have. I can think back to problems/ situations in my life that I was able to solve because I was introverted and analytical. The best book I have read in a long time.

New-Yorker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2012, 5:37 pm

The decision of whether or not to pursue an official diagnosis depends on whether the cost of such a diagnosis is worth its benefits. Based on what people are saying, official diagnosis may cost from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. So, think how important it is for you to know it exactly. Let's say they do diagnose you with Aspergers. How would that benefit you? From what I understand, you have a steady income, so you are not in need of public assistance. If you want nothing more than explanation of the odd character traits you may be having, then you don't need to spend a fortune on official diagnosis. It should be enough for you to know that there is a possibility that these traits are due to Aspergers but give yourself a benefit of doubt. Also, if you have a family of your own (i.e. a spouse, kids), an unexpected mental diagnosis could be detrimental to your relationship with your spouse and/or kids. And if you are single, there is an even bigger danger: after all, who wants a relationship with a person diagnosed with mental disorder? So, think about it. A diagnosis could potentially do more harm than good. I'm not saying that nobody should get diagnosed; perhaps some people should. But if you have lived a normal life up until your recent discovery of this whole concept, then why not continue living the same normal life? Yes, you now know that you may possibly be an aspie. But do you really need to know for sure? I personally don't think so.

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Thank you for you input... I've been writing a lot about my interrogations in another thread, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm most probably an aspie, either mild or rather well adjusted... I even have theories about how it would be so...

You're right : an official diagnosis, although it would give me some peace of mind... I mean, I was so overwhelmed two weeks ago that I became completely disorganized. I had not realized how bad it gets, and how fast it can happen when I become disorganized... 8O I'm ok now. I'm starting to "digest" the idea. I was saying : although it would give me some peace of mind (knowing I'm right and not simply going crazy), an official diagnosis could be a problem in some areas of my life... But at the same time... I KNOW I'm odd. People who know me, they KNOW I'm odd. It's ok because, well, I befriend and work with eccentric or exceptional (in a good way) people. They usually don't mind me being odd. I feel like it would be a good thing to disclose something that important about me... To let them know that if sometimes I seem distant, or not eager to... Hem... create more intimate bonds... It's not because I don't like and appreciate them... Well... I guess I'd like some understanding...

I'll let my head finish to clear itself before I decide if I want an official diagnosis or not... Meanwhile, I think this new knowledge about myself (official or not) will help me dealing with some aspects of my life, and know better where my limits are...

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2012, 1:32 am

When the day is done, ask yourself: Am I strong? Am I adaptable? Can I do things to make myself happy? If the answers are yes, you've got it made in the shade.

Yes, the finer details are always tougher to iron out. But life is short...

And by the way, what IS your first language?? I apologize if you mentioned it elsewhere... But I'm going to take a stab and say Portuguese? (Sorry, just being a dork...)

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2012, 7:52 am

Thank you. My first language is french.