Therapists talk different, depending to the disorder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

05 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

Three times Psychiatrists thought I would have something different than ASD.
(ADHD, BPD, something psychotic)

There way of talking to me changed complitely.

Now I can even recognice most disorders psychiatrists think I could have to identify just by the way they are talking to me.

Why is this like this? 8O


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Last edited by Raziel on 05 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,183
Location: California

05 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Can you give some examples? I'm very curious.



Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

05 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

They like to talk in the symptoms this disorders has you are diagnosed with or witch one you are under suspicion.
And every time you are mention simmilar according to their disorder they are thinking of, they will recognice it and very often say something to it.
If you agree they feel more satisfied of being right, if you don't they might be irritated, change their opinion or even slightly upset.

So when they think you might have ADHD they might even act or become active themself, talking a lot about activities you have done, with a lot of energy and of course, concentration.
I could kind of identify with it, but there was still a difference and that's deffinitly not my major problem. So in my case I see it as part of ASD, but not a complite missdiagnosis.

So, BPD, this was veeeery anoying for me:
When they think you might have Borderline, they want to talk about social situations, feeling alone and alll that kind of stuff.
And what was the most anoying they feel manipulated by every sentence you say, even get kind of hypersensitive themself very often, everything is just around emotions and everything they say has a double meaning. They might even answer you with sentences you are supposed to feel better, but had no meaning whatsoever.
I hate this the most! Because I understand nothing. 8O
This was a missdiagnosis, but I can understand how it occoured. I had a trauma at that time (still have it slightly, but it's mostly gone) and I have gender dysphoria. I don't really think that my possible Bipolar II was confused with that, because I have mainly depressions. She was just once irritated that my depressions stop very suddenly after months having them.

And the psychotic supsicion
This was jsut a suspicion and they weren't sure of the diagnosis.
It wasn't that anoying like BPD, but still not my favorite.
They talk to you like you are living in a unreal bubble and everything has to be proved if it really happend what you say. So they might say very often: "did this really happen?" and ask you questions about it to make sure if it's reallity or just your phantasy.
Here my overload got mixed up with it and also I was messed up at this time.


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Last edited by Raziel on 05 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,088
Location: Massachusetts

05 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

People talk to you differently even between thinking you have Asperger's and thinking you have classic autism.

It's frustrating :(



Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

06 Sep 2012, 2:16 am

Tuttle wrote:
People talk to you differently even between thinking you have Asperger's and thinking you have classic autism.


What changes?


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2012
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 155
Location: Australia

06 Sep 2012, 7:43 am

I speak differently to people depending on their language skills, culture, perceived intelligence. actually more depending on their sex , who is around, shared interests , list goes on. I think we all do it - not just the shrinks



Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

06 Sep 2012, 7:57 am

Samian wrote:
I speak differently to people depending on their language skills, culture, perceived intelligence. actually more depending on their sex , who is around, shared interests , list goes on. I think we all do it - not just the shrinks


Well actually I don't do this a lot.
But propably because of my autism. :lol:


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,258

06 Sep 2012, 8:03 am

Raziel wrote:
And what was the most anoying they feel manipulated by every sentence you say, even get kind of hypersensitive themself very often, everything is just around emotions and everything they say has a double meaning.


Oh yes. I've experienced that and it was really upsetting/frustrating because hardly anything I say has a double meaning, and I usually would be actually incapable of coming up with the "manipulation" I'm accused of.



Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2012
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 155
Location: Australia

06 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

Raziel wrote:
Samian wrote:
I speak differently to people depending on their language skills, culture, perceived intelligence. actually more depending on their sex , who is around, shared interests , list goes on. I think we all do it - not just the shrinks


Well actually I don't do this a lot.
But propably because of my autism. :lol:


Yup, I wish I did it more , better and with less effort - my autism but working on it!