Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

I've noticed that not only do many aspies identify as one Jungian personality type or the other, but some aspie characteristics seem to be exaggerated behavior of NT traits of each type. For example I am an INTJ and do not identify with the obsessive acquisition of facts and strict adherence to routines many here do. Those are actually some of the defining characteristics of my grandfather, an NT ISTJ, just not at what would be considered an abnormal level, I guess. As an INTJ I gravitate more towards improving functionality instead of maintaining it and seeing the forest but missing the details of some of the trees and pissing people off because of being impersonal and not caring for irrational social norms. It actually seems like the textbook aspie is an ISTJ mixed with an INTJ with a heightened INTJ social ineptitude and heightened ISTJ aptitude for acquisition of concrete facts and without their social aptitude which ranks near the top of introverted types. Which type have/do you identify with? There are some other aspie types as well but I would bet these two make up the vast majority.

http://www.knowyourtype.com/istj.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTJ.html
http://typelogic.com/istj.html

http://www.knowyourtype.com/intj.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html
http://typelogic.com/intj.html

Last edited by benr3600 on 03 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

I am most usually the lonely INFP in contexts such as these. My F/T split has gotten less as I have gotten older, and I pretty strongly identify with both INFP and INTP profiles.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

I also enjoy reading the descriptors on typelogic.com

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

InThisTogether wrote:
I am most usually the lonely INFP in contexts such as these. My F/T split has gotten less as I have gotten older, and I pretty strongly identify with both INFP and INTP profiles.

There is no need to be lonely :) I usually get along quite well with both types.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

benr3600 wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:

There is no need to be lonely :) I usually get along quite well with both types.

:) Maybe I should have said the "lone" INFP!

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
benr3600 wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:

:) Maybe I should have said the "lone" INFP!

lol :p you would be in rare company indeed if you are an atypical F-type. But I can see how the idiosyncracies and difficulty to relate to the average person could lead to a correlation with the ASD. All four IN types, really, with the exception of the extroverted feeling-utilizing INFJ are very rare as they are a stark contrast to your average person.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

I don't know what these acronyms mean but I am the INTJ one.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

I've always thought of aspies as the typical INTJ. I`m personally an ISTJ. When I compare the two I find that INTJ`s are usually very creative and always thinking about the future and about abstract theories. ISTJ`s like the here and now and take everything in through their senses. They prefer facts over theories and are very detail oriented while INTJ`s see the bigger picture. ISTJ`s usually conform to society while INTJ`s usually go against the opposite of a lot of the typical society norms.

My ex boyfriend was an INTJ and we didn`t really get along. We clashed on a lot of things and when I researched our compatibility it was one of the worst pairs.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

INFJ's are rare, too, at 1% of the population. i am an INFJ. I married an ISFJ. we get along pretty well. he usually defers to my ability to see the big picture. i usually defer to his practicality.

i have a sister who is INFP. her tendency to leave things up in the air drives me mad. other than that, she is a sweetheart.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

I tend to hover between those two types, first time I took it I got INTJ, but repeated it recently and got ISTJ, with 'slight or no' preference for the sensing part.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

I'm an ISTP. I don't know how that works, but yeah. I occasionally test as a J, and occasionally can even test as a ESTJ, but ISTP description is most apt, and I got that my first few tests I took.

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 2:01 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I'm an ISTP. I don't know how that works, but yeah. I occasionally test as a J, and occasionally can even test as a ESTJ, but ISTP description is most apt, and I got that my first few tests I took.

ISTP is dominant introverted thinking, ESTJ dominant extroverted thinking. The discrepancy is probably whether or not you utilize extroverted or introverted thinking functions.

Introverted = reliant on theory, subjective logic.
Extroverted = reliant on empirical, objective logic.

If something doesn't have a very clear theoretical answer, the introverted thinker can be quite indecisive where the extroverted thinker will decide on whichever principle usually works. If you can relate to Judge Judy you probably use extroverted thinking and are an STJ, if you relate to an auto mechanic you probably use introverted thinking and are an STP. One thing an extroverted thinker does well is keep everything one says in mind and can immediately identify logical fallacies in ones argument, which makes ESTJs notoriously good arguers. Sherlock Holmes is a good ISTP because he always analyzed his environment and uses mechanical theory to his advantage.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:03 pm

benr3600 wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

ISTP is dominant introverted thinking, ESTJ dominant extroverted thinking. The discrepancy is probably whether or not you utilize extroverted or introverted thinking functions.

Introverted = reliant on theory, subjective logic.
Extroverted = reliant on empirical, objective logic.

If something doesn't have a very clear theoretical answer, the introverted thinker can be quite indecisive where the extroverted thinker will decide on whichever principle usually works. If you can relate to Judge Judy you probably use extroverted thinking and are an STJ, if you relate to an auto mechanic you probably use introverted thinking and are an STP. One thing an extroverted thinker does well is keep everything one says in mind and can immediately identify logical fallacies in ones argument, which makes ESTJs notoriously good arguers. Sherlock Holmes is a good ISTP because he always analyzed his environment and uses mechanical theory to his advantage.

I am an auto mechanic. Well not pro one, but I do work on cars as a hobby, and have made money working on other people's cars.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2012, 2:29 pm

I suppose I would be 85 INT / 15 IST.

My thinking is completely dominated by tables, procedures, probability and (fuzzy) logic. Henceforth my only real goals in life are making true statements that have a greater-than-zero chance of helping someone.

You can actually make a lot of good claims based on supposition as long as you don't try to make it look like you're an expert on a particular subject.

In the end, there should always be some subjectivity in logic since there is almost no all-compassing data for anything, and no dichotomous outcomes either.

missratac
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

I've thought of Aspies as extreme ISTJ - which I am.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:07 pm

So far the most accurate MBTI poll here on WP is this (as it has the most votes): http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt67764.html

According to it, the first 3 most frequent personality types are:

1. INTJ (34%)
2. INTP (18%)
3. ISTJ (14%)

So, ISTJ is only the third. This is also my personality type. Having read the descriptions and done some of the online tests I believe I'm 60% ISTJ and 40% INTJ. In other words, on the S/N axis I'm in the middle but a little bit closer to S. I think it's because I have a sense of duty and commitment and I'm less likely to just indulge myself in my special interests and ignore the need for doing the "right thing" aka going by common sense. I'm detail oriented, more precisely pattern oriented. I can see the big picture occasionally but I'm likely to get lost in the details more often. I don't like vague logical structures based on insufficient information and heaps of assumptions (prejudice at its worst), so my decision making process is rather slow.