Page 5 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

creastae wrote:
To self-diagnosed aspies: have you considered DIY electroconvulsive therapy as a cure? You can take two electrical wires and wrap them around your head, then plug them into the mains.
If you're going to self-diagnose, you might as well self-medicate too.

This is ridiculous. Not only is it unnecessarily mean, it's just plain wrong. ECT is not used to treat autism, so why would anyone who is self-diagnosed try to treat themselves with any kind of electrical shock? Further, your suggestion is actually dangerous, and bears no relation to ECT.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

GENERAL REMINDER: please do not attack self-diagnosed aspies on the board. it is fine to disagree with self-diagnosis, but don't be nasty. i'd like this thread to stay open if possible, but i need people to keep calm and avoid attacking. thanks!

also, TowerCrane has been banned, as it is a sockpuppet of a known troll. so don't bother responding to their trolling trollishness.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

Official diagnosis is costly and difficult to obtain, and open to even professional disagreement. Not everyone can afford it, for starters! You might be wrong as a self-diagnosed aspie, but even professionals (so called) can be wrong at the end of the day. There's no reason for any elitist attitude: "My autism is better than your autism." That kind of thing.

To topic:
I've never really understood this idea that "aspies don't lie..." Okay it may be a little less common and I do think that telling the truth is easier. But yeah I've lied quite a bit in the past. Sometimes for April Fools'... Sometimes to save myself from embarrassment or punishment. I guess it all comes down to not every autist is the same.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 12:27 am

That's the second time Verdandi wastes her lenghty answers on a troll :(

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 12:33 am

I think they mean that aspies are brutally honest with people. for example if a girl asked how dress looks and its horrendous an aspie would say it is. an nt would lie and say it looks good.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Aug 2012, 12:55 am

Shatbat wrote:

Only the second? Is that only for this week, then?

I have a terrible time identifying trolls. I posted a poll about that last year but I can't seem to dig it up now. I wish this forum had a more useful way to search older posts.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 1:00 am

Verdandi wrote:
Shatbat wrote:

I have a terrible time identifying trolls. I posted a poll about that last year but I can't seem to dig it up now. I wish this forum had a more useful way to search older posts.

The second one I notice at least, there was another one who claimed Asperger Syndrome could be completely gotten over, and changed his thread title to "you all bore me", I believe.

Obvious trolls are obvious, but this one I wouldn't have known either. I wonder how are sockpuppets identified around here though, and whether IP bans are possible.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2012, 1:24 am

hyperlexian wrote:
GENERAL REMINDER: please do not attack self-diagnosed aspies on the board. it is fine to disagree with self-diagnosis, but don't be nasty. i'd like this thread to stay open if possible, but i need people to keep calm and avoid attacking. thanks!

also, TowerCrane has been banned, as it is a sockpuppet of a known troll. so don't bother responding to their trolling trollishness.

Yeah for awesome moderators! I had a feeling this person was not on the spectrum, his arguments were more anti-social than autist.

Curious, what is creastae's posting status? He claims to be a diagnosed Aspie on his personal page, but then posts a thread posing the question "are people with Asperger's Syndrome really homo sapiens?", essentially suggesting we're sub-human. His comment in this thread was outrageous as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 1:36 am

I didn't know he was a troll either. To me they just appear as having unpopular opinions and I don't think that makes them a troll. It's easier to call someone a troll when they have a controversial opinion or unpopular one or a disturbing one.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 1:38 am

Shatbat wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Shatbat wrote:

The second one I notice at least, there was another one who claimed Asperger Syndrome could be completely gotten over, and changed his thread title to "you all bore me", I believe.

Obvious trolls are obvious, but this one I wouldn't have known either. I wonder how are sockpuppets identified around here though, and whether IP bans are possible.

IP tracking probably does play a role, although I know some people use proxies to get around both being identified and being IP banned.

As far as obvious trolls being obvious, trolling really isn't obvious to me. Someone usually ends up telling me that a troll is a troll after I've engaged them in attempts at discussion. It is not impossible for me to conclude someone is lying (I often conclude this - correctly - about my sister), but first I have to think of the possibility and I usually do not.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 5:22 am

Kindertotenlieder79 wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
I know, because I'm good at it if I need to cover my butt, spare someone something hurtful, or just to make up a good story for conversation. Also, I'm a writer and certainly we have enough imagination to make things up! But....

...most Aspies I know just prefer NOT to lie. It's just so much easier and simpler to tell the truth and I agree with that 100%! If everyone around me really preferred the truth and could handle it, I'd much prefer to never lie at all!

Can you lie quickly on the fly? I rarely can, but can conjure something up within a minute or so. I rarely tell stories, used to write when I was kid, but can barely string thoughts together in conversation. I recall getting bitched out by one of my NT aquaintances at a party when I was younger because I "never tell any stories". What kind of stories do you tell people when you chat with them?

I, like most of the rest of us, prefer not to lie. Truth, or "the truth" of any situation, is one of my obsessions. Call me Mulder. 8)

I'm pretty good at making stuff up right off the top of my head, yeah. If someone talks about his or her trip to the Grand Canyon, I can pull out enough info that I've memorized over time (autisitc superpowers!) that I can pretty much convince people that I've been there.