Anxious/Nervous Drivers-What's worked for you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

I took a few driving lessons, which was enough to get my license, but I didn't really drive after I got my license, I only had my license. Then, a couple of years later, since I had a license, I could go driving on my own, so I did, and that was when I really learned to drive, and it was quick. I really hated having another person in the car with me when I was learning to drive. The other person would talk and distract me and talk about my driving and distract me moar. The same for driving on the freeway. A big part of my freeway driving problem was the sensory overload from the other person being there, so I didn't learn to drive on the freeway for a long time. Then, I said screw it and just got on the freeway on my own, and I discovered that I had no problem driving on the freeway without the distractions from people. So once I got moar used to driving on the freeway on my own, I could add people to the car, and it is not a problem for me to drive with people in the car anymoar.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 8:27 am

abstract wrote:
Note to moderator: We need to create an official driving with AS guide.
You should get comfortable with car control before you take it out on a public road. A disturbingly large portion of what is taught you in drivers Ed or in your six hour lesson is completely incorrect and makes driving much more difficult. I found www.trackpedia.com to be very helpful. I prefer to drive with the radio off. I find that a good simulator (Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 or Iracing for PC) with a good steering wheel (Logitech or Fanatec) can help. However, I do not consider myself a nervous driver but rather, a very confident one.

I totally agree...

And thanks for the website link! :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

I could drive fine on the streets but was terrified of the freeway. What helped me relax and get some confidence was to get out of town and take a long (300mile) road trip. I had taken the trip before as a passenger several times so I knew the route pretty well, and I timed things so that I wouldn't have to drive through the 2 good-sized cities I'd have to go through in heavy traffic. Except for a kind of heavy summer thunderstorm and some long, boring stretches, it was great. Now, although I still don't like driving on the freeway in town, I can do it.

Now I have to get used to driving with someone else in the car. :roll:

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

I also have severe anxiety about driving, lately it has been getting worse.

But the best advice I can give you is to take your time, If you are uncomfortable turning in front of a car, then wait for them to pass, even if you feel the person behind you is impatient. f**k them, you're the one that got there first, not them.

If you don't suffer from poor night vision, then I suggest driving at night on a weekday, Fewer cars, it's almost peaceful. Also, if you live in a city, you can avoid freeways most of the time by taking side streets, you just need to get a mental map of the city so you know where to go to avoid the heavy traffic areas.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2012, 7:56 pm

[14 years on the road, collision-free]

The main thing is learning to remain calm WHILE heightening all your senses. Rule #1: trust NO ONE on the road. Assuming every driver will always do the right thing will get you into a collision faster than you can blink. Maintain peripheral vision, and learn cues that trigger the presence of ANY moving or foreign objects (cars, people, animals that may be in OR approaching your PATH). You must assume anyone and everyone is out for themselves and isn't paying full attention to proper techniques or traffic patterns.

Combined with your vision, it's good to have pre-planned escape maneuvers in place in case someone pulls out in front of you, veers into your lane, stops suddenly etc. Have a thumb near the horn, and never have your foot far from the brake pedal. You must also learn to feel how fast you are going and check your speedometer frequently. You can use one hand on the wheel but only as long as the second is handy.

Doing this stuff by INSTINCT (and not worrying about it) ensures *good* probability of your safety.

Some other tricks:

- let gravity do the work; do not brake excessively down slight hills or before slight turns - otherwise you slow traffic down and burn up your equipment.
- do not accelerate toward turns or stop signs, this wastes both fuel and brakes
- follow the suggested maintenance schedule for your particular vehicle, and know a bit about your vehicle so if something malfunctions you know how to deal with it
- DON'T drive on ice without chains or studded tires. If there is 1/4" of ice or more, you will lose, and if you are on a hill, you will end up wherever gravity takes you. ABS/traction control/AWD do nothing on ice.