Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

7stringer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently undiagnosed, but at the minute I'm on a waiting list for diagnosis.
I know I recently posted responses on the thread about NTs pointing out quirks etc, so I hope I'm not double-posting here.
I was just wondering if I list a few of my traits/habits if anyone could give an opinion on what category (hfa/aspergers/pdd/ASD etc) I might fit into?
I know it sounds a little silly but I'm just curious.

- For years I wasn't too great with eye-contact
- Constant fidgetting
- As a kid was always smelling things (still do sometimes)
- squeaking windscreen-wipers/certain creaky noises used to irritate me.
- social awkwardness in teens, even at times now in work.
- plans in place that I really want to stick to getting changed on me, especially at the last minute really annoys me.
- fascination for moving/spinning objects/water features as a kid.
- Used to feel the compulsion to watch/stare at someone (still have to fight that off at times)
- over-active mind
- I don't think I greeted people as a kid when they came into the house, just looked at them and waited for them to do it first.
- Watched favorite cartoon episodes/scenes repeatedly to the point where I could rime them off perfectly when I felt like it. (I remember riming off a full TV commercial to my dad in the middle of a supermarket when I was about 6).
- At times a bit slow at getting jokes.
- bad at remembering directions.
- I seemed to "attract" getting picked on at high school.
- Precise pitch recognition (If someone sang me a note I could tell them what note it is)
- Possible magpie syndrome (one point had fascinations for objects like magnifying glasses/small motors, bulbs, battery holders, buzzers/shiny stones like crystals or gemstones for example. I remember as a kid stealing some objects like this, sometimes in bulk.)
- Can be funny with food textures (couldn't chew baked beans until about 3 years ago)

Anyway, I could go on...
thanks for reading.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

This was posted in another topic by "antifeministfrills"
http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevisions/p ... px?rid=94#
Look and see how your symptoms relate to the diagnosis (I know this criteria for diagnosis hasn't yet taken affect as a revision/replacement for Asperger's but it's probably better to compare to this)
I think the important one is: "Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning." If that describes you, there's, without a doubt, something wrong that should be diagnosed but no one outside of the people diagnosing you, can say if it's Asperger's until you're assessed. I mean, what you listed fits the bill, sounds like me (currently going through the assessment) and many, many other people I've read about on the forums.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2012, 8:51 am

Quote:
- social awkwardness in teens, even at times now in work.

Were you socially awkward as a child, too? Remember that AS is a pervasive development disorder; you must show difficulty in interacting with peers even as a small child.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 8:55 am

there is no way of knowing without putting your early childhood development.

keep in mind the HFA is not a diagnostic term, just a descriptive one. ASD is an umbrella term for all of them.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

7stringer
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2012, 3:47 pm

Hey, sorry I'm only replying to this now.
I had to ask my mum about that one as she'd probably remember better than myself, she said I had friends but I was a bit of a loner and that I always shy. I often would've concentrated more on what I wanted to do than what a friend wanted to, a lot of the time I prefered sitting in the house than going out as well, I didn't have a lot of friends that I would've hung around with much it was more a small "circle" of people. As I said as well, if someone like a family member or friend of my parents came into the house I didn't greet them, just sort of looked at them and if they greeted me I don't think I addressed them by name either. The social awkwardness I think was there, but worsened when I entered my teens (I didn't instinctively know how to "act my age" at that point and had to learn/pick it up from other people). It might be a little off-topic but I was at a birthday party and their granny said I was a picky eater, I always thought to myself after that "I don't like her." Anyway, I'm rambling a little sorry!

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

windtreeman wrote:
This was posted in another topic by "antifeministfrills"
http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevisions/p ... px?rid=94#

when i tried that link, i got a sign in page. can you post another link?

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2012, 4:06 pm

Ooo, strange that it now requires a sign-in...perhaps they removed the original page because so many people seem to be against the changes in diagnosis terminology and scaling but here's a slightly outdated criteria (from DSM-IV rather than 5): http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html