Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2006, 6:42 am

Is there such a thing as mental stimming, mental echolalia?

I don't physicly stimm that much. The most I do is pase/jump/roll when I'm thinking about something that gets me all worked up and excited or when i'm just excited. But recently I have started to notice that I repeat songs i've heard and things I have read over and over in my head when ever i'm doing stuff like drawing/computer/studying. And I had someone point this out to me, I tend to listen to one song on a perpetual loop on my MP3. I never thought it was weird to do that untill she pointed it out. And then when I can't listen to my MP3 i'll play that very same song in my head threw out the day.

To me this seems to be a mental form of stimming. It's like I have my own theme song playing in the background!! :D

And as I mentioned up there it's not only music. Sometimes it would be things I have read or herd. And some times my own thoughts seem to be echolaliaing its self.

Has any of you seem to have experienced this?

Right now my current theme song was heard from a Japanese music video off of youtube. :D Bumb of Chicken- Namida no furusato (Hometown Tears)

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 8:08 am

I find that i repeat stuff in my head, sometimes it's a few lines from a song or a poem but more often than not it's words, or particularly, their spelling.
As i am walking down the street, or even trying to get to sleep, i will spell words over and over in my head. Sometimes they are words that i have seen on tv, in particular Eastern European names, or anything in which the spelling i find unusual or interesting.
Occasionally i will count or do times tables in my head, but that isn't too often as i dislike numbers.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 12:22 pm

i do that all the time(the song thing)

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 1:15 pm

Hehehe, it's like I have a personal jukebox here in my head. Chalk me up as another who tends to leave singles on loop, too.

Pyth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2006, 1:20 pm

Same. This is the 13th time in a row I've listened to Mad World. I'm also similar in the mental jukebox.

Yay cool things Aspies can do! XD

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:51 pm

I imagine figures like God and Jesus Christ telling me particular things over and over again. I kind of fixate on these "quotes".

I have a lot of other mental stims too, including a melody I've liked since I was 15.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:53 pm

Maybe if you repeat something in your head over and over, like music or phrases.

novawake
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2006, 3:37 pm

Just the other day I listened to the same song on my mp3 for like 5 hrs straight. :P

I listen to music in my head as well. I think the more I listen to a song, generally the better I can reproduce it in my head. It tends to lose some of it's temporal qualities(it doesn't play in order, or repeats parts) but it sounds almost like I'm listening to it on my mp3 player. Sometimes, when I'm tired and I close my eyes and I almost trick myself into believing that I'm actually hearing it. I can do the same with peoples voices. Sometimes they sound so real, I'll get up from bed trying to figure out is someone really did call my name or if I was just imagining it.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

02 Dec 2006, 5:08 pm

I repeat certain words or phrases in my head a lot. Currently it's "big black dog." I have no idea why.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 5:26 pm

I stim on movies and quates all the time. And I stim on stuff I've read.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 5:35 pm

i do the same thing with music. i can listen to the same song/a few songs forever.

i usually will listen to a loop of foreign music on my mp3-player at work and actually like to sing with it all day cause there's no one else in my little cubby-hole at work. i find it comforting and it helps me focus on doing the repeatitive activities involved with my work... especially when the music has a certain level of complexity to the harmony of it (i think is what i find comforting about it).

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2006, 6:01 pm

I tend to repeat stuff in my head alot... songs, events, pictures... (Photographic memory.)

I've also got a tendicy to plan out future events in my head...

*is guilty of listening to a song on repeat too* :D

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 6:05 pm

God, I do this ALL! As far as remembering music, I LOVE it if I can remember the way harmonies sometimes work against one another. I like complex ones, as long as they are nice.

Sometimes I have to repeat words in my mind to understand them. I have NO idea why. I never used to have to do that. I can review, and plan things that way also. Some of this I think HAS to be AS!

I USED to actually answer some questions, correct misunderstandings, etc... a day or even MORE after the fact. I would just think such and such a topic was a non-sequitor, or whatever, and I would think, "OOOH, they misunderstood!"! I would then review what happened, determine why, and correct it. I got tired of the reaction, so now QUIETLY compensate, etc... or whatever. SOMETIMES, I'll just let them find out the hard way. It is better than the reaction I get.

Still, even seinfeld seemed to indicate that even if not fully photographic, many people have a similar capability for pictures at least.

Steve

Aspie94
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2006, 6:33 pm

I hear songs in my head over and over again. I wonder if NT's do too.

Before I fall asleep I always make little scenes in my mind--kind of play acting--with me in them. I can't fall asleep unless I do this.

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2006, 7:30 pm

Pyth wrote:
Same. This is the 13th time in a row I've listened to Mad World. I'm also similar in the mental jukebox.

Yay cool things Aspies can do! XD

Eversince I heard that song off of Donnie Darko It is now permanently committed to memory after listening to that song for an intire week off my computer!! :D

I also used to say "reptilian" when ever I used to get on the bus for school. :? I really don't know way? I grew out of it though.

What do you all think of when you listen to music?

I like to make up music videos in my head and look at all the diffirent angles. It's like creating your own movie to the song. So now every song I have ever listened to has practicly there own music video to them and story that corresponds to the lyrics and the tone of the music. :) If I don't feel like being a director then I would just 'watch' the music playing in my head. For instence if the music is raising and will drop dramaticly I picture a raising upside down orangey-red luquide like tornado that colapses in it's self when the music dramaticly drops.

If I was ever given a chance I think I would become a good director :D

It dosn't take me long to remember a song or tune though. Once or twice and I could remember nearly the jest of it all.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 7:50 pm

i do this too. i have specific movies that correspond with different music.

this is also one way i remember words in different languages. once i have learned all the words in a song in a different language, i can commit it to memory and once i hear the word again, i immediately remember what song(s) i have for that word...there may be multiple music videos i have for any given word... it depends on the context of the use of the word... and somehow, when i hear the word again i somehow can tell the context of its use and thus, i pull out different "music videos" that are using that particular context of the word.... this often gives me other words used in association with the said word in _______ language, so that i can kind of come up with other words to use in conjuntion and form my own sentences/thoughts using that word in ______ language. to do this efficiently, i kinda have to have several sound bites of phrases with this word, so i can kinda think which phrases would work with what i want to say.

that being said, im not very good at speaking other languages. it sometimes feels like a oneway street. like i can understand and even get a "feeling" of the words being said to me because they conjure a very specific mixture of pictures... but it is much harder to pull words out from my pictures and form sentences... but i'm sure i'd do much better if i actually had to do this more often... ie-moved to another non-english speaking country.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl