Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 7:50 pm

i do this too. i have specific movies that correspond with different music.

this is also one way i remember words in different languages. once i have learned all the words in a song in a different language, i can commit it to memory and once i hear the word again, i immediately remember what song(s) i have for that word...there may be multiple music videos i have for any given word... it depends on the context of the use of the word... and somehow, when i hear the word again i somehow can tell the context of its use and thus, i pull out different "music videos" that are using that particular context of the word.... this often gives me other words used in association with the said word in _______ language, so that i can kind of come up with other words to use in conjuntion and form my own sentences/thoughts using that word in ______ language. to do this efficiently, i kinda have to have several sound bites of phrases with this word, so i can kinda think which phrases would work with what i want to say.

that being said, im not very good at speaking other languages. it sometimes feels like a oneway street. like i can understand and even get a "feeling" of the words being said to me because they conjure a very specific mixture of pictures... but it is much harder to pull words out from my pictures and form sentences... but i'm sure i'd do much better if i actually had to do this more often... ie-moved to another non-english speaking country.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 8:23 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I stim on movies and quates all the time.

Me, too! Like tonight, for instance, I was with a group of friends (one of who is an Aspie), and after three hours, we (thankfully) took a break for dinner, so I just ran off to be by myself and do my quotes. It made me happy and able to tolerate them for the remaining hour afterwards.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2006, 9:40 pm

I have an iPod wired into my skull, on stuttering shuffle. It's most annoying when it plays a song I don't know.

Periodically, though extremely rarely, I will encounter a song in the outside world that is a "new release", but I would swear was on my internal radio years before. I'm figuring it was probably something similar, rather than any psychic ability, though.

Every now and then I will get two songs stuck playing at once. I spent two weeks once with "Losing my religion" and the Oompa Loompa song from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" running simultaneously and/or interchangeably in my head.

Arg.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 1:18 am

I do that with songs too...I'll also start singing them when i'm alone.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 1:49 am

Right now I'm listening to the Chaminade Concertino for flute and piano for about the 10th time today. :D

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2006, 8:36 am

I'll often listen to the same song over and over on continuous loop. And I get really frustrated if there's a song I want to be listening to over and over but for some reason I can't do it. I repeat phrases over and over in my mind sometimes too (though I used to do it more than I do now), but that's a part of my OCD.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 11:29 am

Certain words tend to trigger songs for me, related to the word. Like the other day someone was talking about a rubber ball and I had that song 'Like a rubber ball I'll come bouncing back to you' - very old song, playing in my head all day. It makes me laugh, but I get told to shut up if I sing them out loud :roll:
Adverts too I find get into the loop.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 5:41 pm

Yeah I have about 200 songs on my MP3 player Ill listen to a single song over and over for a few days before changing to another one.

When I turn it off I still hear it playing so I listen to one song 24/7 for a while then it will switch to another.

One that comes up commonly is "No Memory" ironically enough :P

As for repeating phrases the last few words of anything I hear will always repeat for a while. When Im alone though Ive had a specific voice in my head asking me my name in a specific way over and over again for years but I have no idea where it came from.

Ive tried answering but it just asks again so I guess it doesnt like the answer :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 11:14 am

I constantly have a tune playing in my mind, even though I don't listen to music as much as the average person. It's sometimes retro video game music, as it's memorable. I also get images of things in my mind when I'm stressed, for example, which could be mental stimming.

Snowfern
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2006, 12:36 pm

Have been looping 'Sakasama No Chou' by Snow since I was introduced to it by Funaho. grrr.

It's on my handphone as a ringtone, and I listen to it when I have to travel. I catch myself looping it mentally or even humming it when I'm trying to concentrate on a task, or ignore the environment.

Heck, I even play it before I sleep.

This sure beats singing "Afuro Gunso~" all day (from Keroro Gunso)......

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 10:33 am

novawake wrote:
Sometimes, when I'm tired and I close my eyes and I almost trick myself into believing that I'm actually hearing it. I can do the same with peoples voices. Sometimes they sound so real, I'll get up from bed trying to figure out is someone really did call my name or if I was just imagining it.

:) There's one song I can do that with - and only really two lines of it. It must be the particular note it hits. Like you, if I repeat it over and over in my head, I can almost produce an auditory hallucination.

PopeJaimie
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2006, 1:58 pm

I also do all these things.

The person who asked if NT's can hear a song in their head over and over (I think that's what you asked), yes, they do it too.

Me, sometimes I get multiple songs stuck in my head. It's annoying.

~
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2006, 3:33 pm

Boy oh boy do I do this. I have a large MP3 collection on my computer and spend time listening to tracks over and over again to commit them to memory.

I often can't sleep because I can't get my personal jukebox to switch off.

When I listen to music I get images in my head. and when I listen to structured music like electronica I get lots of 'visualization' effects in my head :)

Oh and also If im really into it, sometimes I'll be absolutely certain someone is behind me or just touched me and I'll turn round but there's no one there :/

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 3:43 pm

JJ wrote:
Oh and also If im really into it, sometimes I'll be absolutely certain someone is behind me or just touched me and I'll turn round but there's no one there :/

Thats just schizophrenia nothing to worry about :P

Im joking by the way :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2006, 3:50 pm

I'm a professional musician. I am always thinking about music or listening to music. I'm generally found writing my music down or conducting a beat ALL THE TIME. Music is life :)

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2006, 4:11 pm

Fraya wrote:
JJ wrote:

Thats just schizophrenia nothing to worry about :P

Stop the evil cute bunnies stalking me and then I'll stop worrying.