Help, i think i've developed an AS obsession about being AS.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

troymclure
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2006, 5:19 am

See above. :?

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 5:22 am

Don't worry, a lot of us here are the same! :D

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2006, 5:23 am

i think this could be healthy.....if enough people get obsessed something good might happen...

when humans...especially aspies get fascinated with things in the world..bam there is usually invention/change etc involved shortly after

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 5:36 am

Yup! NTs are generally too apathetic to get involved with stuff. IMO.

troymclure
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2006, 5:39 am

scrulie wrote:
Don't worry, a lot of us here are the same! :D

:)

ps:- deutha: hope so :P

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

08 Dec 2006, 6:08 am

This actually seems to be a really common obsession, particularly just after diagnosis.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 7:31 am

SolaCatella wrote:
This actually seems to be a really common obsession, particularly just after diagnosis.

Yes, I'm the same way. I find that I like observing aquaintances who I know have Asperger's, just to see if I can spot their symptoms. I also just generally like talking about it. The irony IS amusing, though, if you think about it... :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 8:09 am

Same HERE! I am here primarily to see what I can learn, and try to make things better. I am actually SO obsessed that one of my goals today is to spend more time with another obsession. I have 3 other things I want to get done. None are going to get done today, regardless.

Steve

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 9:47 am

You can use this to a positive end. If you use it to learn as much as you can about being ASpic, and observe NT's so as to imitate them. But it could be quite self-defeating. Frequently ASpies write to these forums that they'll never be able to do this or that. We can become real navel gazers ! !!

troymclure
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2006, 10:11 am

I haven't even been diagnosed yet though :/

Though i suppose my self-diagnoses was what set it off, since last saturday i've been going through pretty much all the online articles and writeups i could find, joined this site and another brisbane as forum.

How are all the other self-diagnosed people dealing with the wait? It's weird, i'm sure i'm AS, there's so many of the little symptoms and traits i seem to have, but heh the brain is a weird thing, maybe it's just MTC and a confluence of coincidences. Though if i am AS i want to take some time out too figure out what it means exactly, kinda feels like i don't know what to do till i get the official prognosis.

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2006, 10:19 am

this is an excellent obsession to alleviate my tesla obsession...

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 10:32 am

What's wrong with that?

After all, we are and you are certainly welcome here!

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2006, 11:42 am

heh I am newly self diagnosed as well. After being told several months ago by my therapist and then an OT that I don't look like I have it, I gave up the exhaustive internet search. But recently after my AS friend brought the subject up again and told me he is convinced that I do have it, the search has begun again. My friend warned me not to develop what he called a complex. But I am just so curious about it all and seeing myself in some aspects is fascinating and then frustrating when I reread it in a different way and doubt myself if I relate at all to AS. I too, don't know what to do in the mean time of seeking an official diagnosis, if I do seek one, and I have no idea what it all means for me as I am 20 years old.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 11:50 am

I've had that obsession for years. I've read everything that I possibly can about AS and the other spectrum disorders. I find that imformation very interesting. I've also watched the better documenteries.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 1:33 pm

I first began researching AS because I met someone with AS and wanted to know what it was.....man,was I surprised when I started seeing myself in the traits.The first feeling was....eureka!! !
Yet,looking at all the "stereotypical traits".....aspies have no humor,no empathy,have "boring" interests like train schedules,....that isnt me.So then I thought,I'm not aspie.Then I read more on here and thought......I see a lot of humor,empathy,interests that I like in the people here.There are just so many "traits" that people here mention that I have never heard from others in my 43 years on this accursed rock.I dont relate to every trait....you dont have to,we are individuals who are effected by "things" other then AS.Our other genetic factors and environments growing up,will also influence the direction of some of our personality and sensory traits.

I have been officially DXed but still have occasional doubts.I have been misDXed before and am leery of the psych "profession" in general.I dont think my obsession in this area is unusual considering the difficulties I have had in my life.I have always been looking for possible reasons for "who I am" and "how I got that way"....seems pretty aspie to be obsessed with...."self".I want information about AS because I think it can help me have more control over my life...information has always meant "power" to me.My hesitation of excepting a DX without as critical of thought as possible is based on a principle of science....A conclusion based on a "false premise" is likely to be incorrect.

Dont put your life on hold until you have a DX.It may influence the direction of your life but it may not,it really depends on the traits you have and how they influence you present life.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 1:38 pm

I used to be obsessive about AS but I'm not now. It's got a lot better since I joined the forum and realise I'm normal (normal for an Aspie), so I don't bother now. I channel the obsessive bit into other interests, well OK, obsessions :D