Are you a more visual or verbal thinker?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Are you a more visual or verbal thinker?
Visual 70%  70%  [ 54 ]
Verbal 30%  30%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 77

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

I know the stereotype is that aspies and autistic people think in pictures, but I myself think only in words, and can't picture anything in my head. I know other aspies who think like me, and read that it's not uncommon. I'm curious about what is more common. Do you think mostly in pictures, the sounds of words in your head, or a mixture of both?

I am choosing to call thinking in words verbal thinking because I am not sure what else to call it...

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

I'm like you. I'm a very verbal thinker, and don't tend to think in pictures.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Oct 2011, 7:52 pm

I think verbally as well.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

I am a visual thinker. I only learned to think in words in the past year.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 8:13 pm

I can't picture things in my head either. My elementary school teacher told me to picture the story in my mind, and that didn't really work out haha. I think much more verbally than visually.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

Heh, I guess I'm stereotypical then.

Sath96347
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

Visual. I see everything in my head, or hear it as music notes. That isn't particularly easy to translate into English. I'm horrible at anything verbal. My teachers like to yell at me for drawing my notes, but it's the only way I'll understand them. It makes it extra difficult to tell people how I feel, because I always want to draw them a picture (that they usually don't understand) or play them a melody (that they NEVER understand) or start listing random objects off.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

I think in pictures and can see very detailed images in my head. I was told it's linked with my dyslexia.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

I think visually (also in audio, smells, tactile sensations), and I only think in words to a very limited extent. Simple concepts are manageable, if I try more complex I start looping in a sort of mental palilalia or until I visualize what I'm trying to think and I lose the verbal part.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

I am a more visual thinker. I do think a lot in pictures.

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

I'm very verbal, to the degree that it was suspected for a while that I have a nonverbal learning disability.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

I'm extremely visual, very bad with the verbal. I have learned to think a bit in words to help with reading.
I'm dyslexic as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

I'm primarily visual and tend to like imagining things moving/rotating in 3-d before describing them in words or coding them as numbers or on a numerical scale.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

I don't think verbally or in imagery- to me those are representations of concepts,
in the case of language, representations deliberately made up to communicate concepts to others, utterly unneeded within one mind.

Is an English speaking person thinking of something different with "house" than a Spanish person is "casa"?
Of course not.
Therefore, I would argue that most people think in concepts, and imagery/words which are associated arise secondarily.

That being said, I have no idea what it means to have either in one's head.

to his Interest."

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

I think both visually and verbally (internal dialog) depending on the situation. Logic problems I work on verbally, while I often use both images and verbal approaches when I am trying to solve an engineering problem. It all depends on the type of problem.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 12:52 am

I am a visual thinker.

This is a bit of a challenge as my work involves client facing, verbal communication and processing.

It has taken me several years of hard work to 'learn' how to listen more effectively and I am still learning.

In my business, when others embark on what seems to me to be a diatribe (but which is actually normal conversation) I have to fight the urge to tell them to just:

'Shut the ***k up and send me an email!'

In fact the other day, that is exactly what I did, thought without the expletive.

I received a phone call that I was expecting.
- I knew the content would necessarily be very technical, so I had prepared a list of key points to cover with associated questions

It sounded like the caller was 'pitching' from a standard script; a speaking clock or just recorded message!
- The style was process focused rather than people or results focused

The follow up email from them was deleted on receipt - I can't work with people like that and fortunately I have options that mean I don't have to :D