Page 6 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

davidgolfpro wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
davidgolfpro wrote:
Size does matter, it's just mother nature. men have larger brains and are therefore more intelligent.
Troll harder...
Be careful about calling people a troll..explain why i am trolling then.
davidgolfpro, that's enough now.
It was only a few posts ago you were making a similar accusation against the OP.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

davidgolfpro wrote:
AS is a disability, and condition,syndrome..but not a disorder.

We are disabled and it's because we are not able to function like NT's can without it being amajoy struggle on our parts. It weakens us through high stress levels, and normal chitchat is not possible, so we are then socially disabled.

It is a hidden disability.....what does everyone here say to that?

Why is it not a disorder? I always figured that autism and Asperger syndrome were disorders by definition, and while at first also disabilities in the lives of anyone who's born with one, over time one could learn to 'handle' their autism so to speak, so that it would no longer be a disability while still being a disorder in your brain. Because one would have arrived at a point where one has established neurological 'prosthesis' so to speak, in the form of behaviour patterns that bypass the social mindblindness and awkardness, the sensory overload, and the adherence to routine, among other things.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2012, 3:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:
davidgolfpro wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
davidgolfpro wrote:
Size does matter, it's just mother nature. men have larger brains and are therefore more intelligent.
Troll harder...
Be careful about calling people a troll..explain why i am trolling then.
davidgolfpro, that's enough now.
It was only a few posts ago you were making a similar accusation against the OP.

Sorry?? Why don't u tell nonperson off for saying that i should troll harder???? I never accused anyone of trolling..i said it is tantamount to trolling, there is a strong difference.

Please take action where appropriate...like what nonperson wrote about me ! Play fair !

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

Aspergers is a disorder..I have just researched that..what a shame!

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

davidgolfpro wrote:
AS is a disability, and condition,syndrome..but not a disorder.

Autism Spectrum Disorder.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2012, 3:32 pm

Your point is?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

A disorder in the medical sense is "a disruption of physical or mental functions" - surely AS comes under that? :?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 5:28 pm

For somebody to try and cure me would be like them saying that I'm broken. I'm not broken goods and I don't need to be fixed.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

I second that ! I am me (aspie) and only 4 months after my diagnosis am I beginning to enjoy being an Aspie, and I am offended at those talking about cures....I know dictator had that mentality too in 1939.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

Giving people(free will) choices is not a dictatorship, however; denying people(free will) choices moves it's citizenry toward something else...

No ones denying anyone a right not to have a cure, just do NOT deny those who might want a cure; simply show them the same regard that you would want yourselves.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 6:37 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I have Aspergers Disorder.

I have a DISORDER. I do not have a "difference" or a "personality type." I have a DISORDER.

I currently take Zoloft to help alleviate symptoms of said disorder. If and when other options to alleviate my symptoms become available, I will not hesitate to utilize them. Can that be considered the same thing as a "cure" if enough of my issues can be resolved through medical intervention? Maybe. Do I care? No. The-Powers-That-Be are more than welcome to keep striving for a cure if they have the means to do so, and I may even make use of such a thing if it is ever created. And before some sanctimonious mental midget starts screaming that society should just try harder to accommodate me, there's absolutely no reason why we can't strive for improved medical interventions AND social acceptance.

Aspergers Disorder is a disorder. It is not just "being a little different," or "feeling awkward around other people." Unfortunately, we appear to have reached a point where introverted nerds are no longer content with merely being introverted nerds, and they want to be "autistic;" therefore, we get this, "It's just a difference!" crap. As far as I'm concerned, if you are not impaired, you do not have an ASD. That is the dividing line between what is considered "normal functioning" and "abnormal functioning."

Personally, I have no idea why "autism" is considered so cool that even people with no impairments want to march around announcing that they are "autistic," but I never have understood other people. Perhaps it's the overwhelming desire to belong to some kind of "herd" that NTs are even willing to identify with a mental disorder just to "fit in" somewhere.

In any case, I'm getting tired of being told how I should feel about my disorder. I need support to function in my daily life. I am not a savant or a genius. I have a disorder and I need help; I'm not going to pretend I don't need help, or that I wouldn't welcome a "cure" because of a bunch of neurodiversity rhetoric. I want CHOICE.

They want to be Aspergian NOT Autistic.
In my opinon, DSM changes were made for a multitude of reasons....
TheSunAlsoRises

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

*grabs popcorn*

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
In any case, I'm getting tired of being told how I should feel about my disorder. I need support to function in my daily life. I am not a savant or a genius. I have a disorder and I need help; I'm not going to pretend I don't need help, or that I wouldn't welcome a "cure" because of a bunch of neurodiversity rhetoric. I want CHOICE.

Not wanting to be cured, doesn't mean to being disabled though, and that needs to be remembered. But yes, this thread is falling into autism supremacy and people trying to claim that autism is just being different and not being disordered. instead of the point of it which was not about whether or not we should pursue a cure, but whether the concept of a cure for autism makes sense in the first place.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with Callista and thinking that cure makes no sense for those reasons. I also would not want to be cured even if it did make sense. However, that does not mean that we shouldn't work on making lives easier as autistic people.

I think "cure" needs to be defined.

I tend to doubt that a person's brain can be re-wired, especially not when they reach adulthood, but, as I've already stated, alleviating symptoms via medical means might be within reach. Could that be considered a "cure" or a sort? Perhaps.

And I agree we should always try to make things easier for people with impairments and/or disabilities, but finding medical treatments and improving socio-economic opportunities are not mutually exclusive.

Such medication is a treatment, not a cure. A cure would get rid of the condition and make no further treatment nesccairy. The difference is very important when discussing stuff like cancer and AIDS.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

XFilesGeek, I found your commentary, excellent. I think you hit the nail on the head. In the coming years, severity(as defined by DSM-V) used in the context of a Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis will unmistakeably denote disability rather than an arbitrary difference. Previous definitions of Autism as impairments left room for ambiguity. Where reasonable ambiguity exists, a diagnosis of Social Communication Disorder or Social Reciprocity Disorder will be employed.

TheSunAlsoRises

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:15 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
XFilesGeek, I found your commentary, excellent. I think you hit the nail on the head. In the coming years, severity(as defined by DSM-V) used in the context of a Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis will unmistakeably denote disability rather than an arbitrary difference. Previous definitions of Autism as impairments left room for ambiguity. Where reasonable ambiguity exists, a diagnosis of Social Communication Disorder or Social Reciprocity Disorder will be employed.

TheSunAlsoRises

What you don't seem to understand is that a "difference" can be disabling because of the environment. I meet the criteria - I am "disabled", I do have serious problems related to AS, however, I choose not to view myself as "disordered". I view myself as a misfit who has strengths as well as weaknesses because of my differences. Because I choose self-respect rather than self-loathing, I get the additional privilege of being insulted and accused of being a poser. Fine, if it makes you feel better, but I'd just like to say you are veering into very hurtful... very hateful... territory. This thread is a trainwreck...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:42 pm

Ganondox wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Not wanting to be cured, doesn't mean to being disabled though, and that needs to be remembered. But yes, this thread is falling into autism supremacy and people trying to claim that autism is just being different and not being disordered. instead of the point of it which was not about whether or not we should pursue a cure, but whether the concept of a cure for autism makes sense in the first place.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with Callista and thinking that cure makes no sense for those reasons. I also would not want to be cured even if it did make sense. However, that does not mean that we shouldn't work on making lives easier as autistic people.

I think "cure" needs to be defined.

I tend to doubt that a person's brain can be re-wired, especially not when they reach adulthood, but, as I've already stated, alleviating symptoms via medical means might be within reach. Could that be considered a "cure" or a sort? Perhaps.

And I agree we should always try to make things easier for people with impairments and/or disabilities, but finding medical treatments and improving socio-economic opportunities are not mutually exclusive.

Such medication is a treatment, not a cure. A cure would get rid of the condition and make no further treatment nesccairy. The difference is very important when discussing stuff like cancer and AIDS.

A similar type of stem cell treatment that has provided encouraging results for the potential of a cure for cases of cerebral palsy is now FDA approved in clinical trials for subgroups of autism disorder that have no known genetic cause like Fragile X Syndrome, and may be the result of environmental factors or infection.

Recent research studying twins already shows that there are environmental as well as genetic factors at play that result in what is defined as Autism Spectrum Disorders.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/21/doctors-announce-fda-approved-trial-to-cure-autism-with-cord-blood/

Quote:
Researchers announced Tuesday the beginning of a FDA-approved clinical trial that uses umbilical cord blood stem cells to ‘cure’ autism.

Dr. Michael Chez, director of pediatric neurology at Sutter Neuroscience Institute in Sacramento, Calif., said he and his colleagues have been processing the trial for more than a year now, and they have high hopes it will succeed.

“What we are looking at, is cases that don’t have an obvious genetic link,” Chez told FoxNews.com. “Patients that we presume something went wrong with their brains, which caused a change to autistic features.”

In other words, the trial’s patients will essentially have no reason to have autism – or at least no genetic markers for the disease. This means they must have presumably developed it through another factor, such as the environment or exposure to an infection.

Ten years ago no one would have guessed that success would have been gained treating Cerebral Palsy through stem cell treatment, but as time goes own, science develops the ability for treatments, that were not even on the radar a decade earlier.

This research is new, and may or may not provide significant results, but that will not be known until after the results are determined.