Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

daydreamersworld
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2012, 9:21 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
Yes I hate feeling in-between too. I think since my symptoms aren't very apparent or are too mild when people meet me they don't think "that girl's autistic" or "that girl has a disability" they just think "this girl's weird/creepy/stupid etc" or just "eww I don't like her" :x

yeah i know! i dont like that :cry:

daydreamersworld

24 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

Aspinator wrote:
I can empathize with how you feel. I am self-supporting and live by myself but at the same time I am very inept socially. As a result I am treated like I am not worthy of even taking up space. Although I tend to filter everything logically and intelligently; I am still treated like a non-entity. I guess these are just some of the things we need to put up with as Aspies.

Yeah im starting to see that myself. everyone has hard stuff to overcome and go through and this is just something we have to endure. At the end of the day tho we are who we are and thats how God made us and we are the only one of our kind. :) i just gotta remember that lol :D

daydreamersworld

24 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

outofplace wrote:
You're definitely not alone in this. Many of us here, myself included, are inbetweeners. We don't really fit one description or another perfectly but know we have problems dealing with people. Some of us may also have other autistic issues as well, but they are generally not severe enough to be clinically significant. While this may be the case, I don't think it is necessarily desirable to be more disabled than you really are. What you and the rest of us need is to find people who will accept us as we are. It may be that this means you will never have a lot of friends, but if you are like me, you will have a few extremely close friends that are loyal to you and willing to go the extra mile to help you in your times of need. You should feel blessed if you do. Many NTs do not have close friendships and instead have lots and lots of superficial ones. Thus, they have no one they can really turn to in their time of need when that time is not fun for the other party. It just takes time to find these people and develop the relationships. This might not happen in school but rather when you get out in the real world where aspie interpersonal skills are more valuable to the right people.

If you are an inbetweener, you may have an easier time learning to read social cues than someone who is more disabled in this regard. Learn to listen to what people are saying and look at what they are doing when they say it. In time, this will make it easier to pick up on things so that you can better relate to them. Also, many times it helps just to let people talk without offering much in return. Most people like to talk about themselves and their lives and sometimes all they want is someone to use as a sounding board.

Thanks so much for the encouragement this helps me realize things aren't as bad as they seem sometimes :)