Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
ALL i need is one child, teen or adult to desire a cure.....AND, I'm at least open to the possibility. There may very well never be one BUT who am i to dictate to those who may or may NOT desire a cure. Why? Because i am a strong believer in choices. One thing THAT i learned in life is THAT your philosophies and attitudes have a way of coming back and hitting you square in the face.

Well, what do you mean TheSunAlsoRises ? The federal and state government could easily institute a plan THAT requires those on the spectrum who get financial resources(outside their own), disability checks, and government aid to work or volunteer. The program in question could be extremely limited in those who would be excluded, as such; giving little to no choice to those required to participate.

Things change especially in an economy where limited resources are available.

* Just an opinion and should be taken as such

TheSunAlsoRises

If you convince autistic individuals that they've some kind of disorders, of course some will say they've.
It's the same with homosexuals, africans, etc.

you can start eugenics, because I'm sure some low IQ people want to be cured.
Oh! their should be an option to cure neurotypicals with IQ of under 140, because I believe that these people are stupid! (sarcastic)
And their is defenitely one who want to have an IQ of 140 by being cured.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 9:56 am

Okay.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 9:58 am

paxfilosoof wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
ALL i need is one child, teen or adult to desire a cure.....AND, I'm at least open to the possibility. There may very well never be one BUT who am i to dictate to those who may or may NOT desire a cure. Why? Because i am a strong believer in choices. One thing THAT i learned in life is THAT your philosophies and attitudes have a way of coming back and hitting you square in the face.

Well, what do you mean TheSunAlsoRises ? The federal and state government could easily institute a plan THAT requires those on the spectrum who get financial resources(outside their own), disability checks, and government aid to work or volunteer. The program in question could be extremely limited in those who would be excluded, as such; giving little to no choice to those required to participate.

TheSunAlsoRises

If you convince autistic individuals that they've some kind of disorders, of course some will say they've.

It's a spectrum. Those who are across the spectrum want a cure for various reasons. It's not just so-called low IQ Autists THAT desire a cure. This is a fallacy.

The problem IS most of you are NOT directly familar with Autism outside your own, where you have had to actually take care of someone besides yourselves.

I don't buy that offering a choice for a cure translates into Eugenics, propaganda.

Autism is listed in the DSM as Autism Spectrum Disorder and overwhelmingly exists with a plethora of co-morbids also listed in the DSM. The comparison to Africans and Homosexuals is NOT, a fair one, past or present, unless you believe THAT the only barrier to Autists full participation(or lackthereof) is a societal construct that willfully discriminates and that no real tangible disabilities exists.

TheSunAlsoRises

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:00 am

"Four" is also a four letter word. Coincidence?

THEY are watching us!

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

Magnus_Rex wrote:
"Four" is also a four letter word. Coincidence?

THEY are watching us!

Yes. And, by virtue of the changes in two noted psychiatric books; plans are being made, too.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

Social Communication Disorder........

Social Reciprocity Disorder........

Things will be put in it's proper perspective.

Return of the Nerd.

TheSunAlsoRises

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:

TheSunAlsoRises

It's a spectrum. Those who are across the spectrum want a cure for various reasons. It's not just so-called low IQ Autists THAT desire a cure. This is a fallacy.

The problem IS most of you are NOT directly familar with Autism outside your own, where you have had to actually take care of someone besides yourselves.

I don't buy that offering a choice for a cure translates into Eugenics, propaganda.

Autism is listed in the DSM as Autism Spectrum Disorder and overwhelmingly exists with a plethora of co-morbids also listed in the DSM. The comparison to Africans and Homosexuals is NOT, a fair one, past or present, unless you believe THAT the only barrier to Autists full participation(or lackthereof) is a societal construct that willfully discriminates and that no real tangible disabilities exists.
TheSunAlsoRises

I don't buy lumping things together, I NEVER SAID ANY OF WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!

this is what I said: "you can start eugenics, because I'm sure some low IQ people want to be cured."
I gave an example of Low IQ people who would be definitely be cured too. Do you read LOW IQ AUTISTICS?

"It's not just so-called low IQ Autists THAT desire a cure. This is a fallacy."

first: their are no more low IQ autistics than low IQ neurotypicals, it's a misconception. We now know that many who can't speak are actually people with IQ's even higher than average.
Second: I was making a point that you can always find examples of people who want to be cured, this doesn't mean that their should be a choice ...
But obvious you lumped things together (neurotypical way of thinking)
Homosexual was in the DSM also btw.
We know that "disorders" like ADHD are over diagnosed, a child who's active nowdays is called hyperactive.
Disorders like "dyselxia" etc. is just a variation in the population;
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dyslexic-Adva ... 1594630798
etc.

The whole DSM is just a way of:
1. Making money
2. Making it easier for education to put people labels to make it "easier" on schools.
3. Some things are real disorders, but only some. Almost everyone could be diagnosed by some kind of disorder in the DSM.

Like the intense world theory perfectly explain is that autistic people are not really a disorder but a different kind of brain that mostly is wrongfully understood by education, parents, etc.
I have many experience with autism outside myself, thanks!
And the 'low' functioning autistics what you're talking about are an example of genius 'locked up' because of the overwhelming experience.
I was on of them till the age of 4, now I'm a "normal" person, who happended to be interested in: neuroscience, philosophy, psychology, physics, antroology, and the study of neurotypical syndrome. And I'm not yet in university, but when I'm I'll publish papers in all the subjects I like.

Last edited by paxfilosoof on 26 Aug 2012, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

Jitro wrote:
Jasmine90 wrote:
Maybe I'm too thick, but can you please elaborate, OP? I don't know what you mean.

What I mean is that a "cure" is a bad thing, at least for me. I don't want someone tampering with my brain. That's just creepy.

And here I thought you were making a pun. I am disappoint.

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
There are people on the spectrum who desire a cure and efforts to try to shame and silence them is no different then how those dreaded NTs would handle the situation. *sarcasm on*

There are 'other' perspectives to this issue beyond your own personal situation.

TheSunAlsoRises

You speak for autistics, interesting. You've no diagnosis yourself.
You maybe don't know it, but autistics are very different from neurotypicals. We are wired completly different, not a bit.
And it's just illogical to say that 'autism' is neurotypical with defects in the brain (what most researchers think, except people like h,k Makrams)

Neurotypicals are making the same mistakes centuries, always discriminating the minority.
It's a symptom of neurotypical syndrome - Conformism.

Well, I have an official diagnosis and I often desire a cure. TheSunAlsoRisis should not be dismissed, her opinion is validated, if not by me than I'm sure by many other people on the spectrum who also desire a cure.

Also, she was not speaking for all people on the spectrum, but you clearly were. I don't agree with what you say, so you cannot speak for me, thank you.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

I think that a cure for AS isn't an immediate need. I think that society should focus more on curing LFA. My brother has severe autism: he can't speak, and he self-harms because of this(or at least the doctor said so).
People with high-funtioning autism forms have problems too, that's sure; but I can go to school, dress myself, and live my life without a person always helping me. I just would like to have an easier life, but people like my brother definitively need a cure.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:48 pm

zxy8 wrote:
Jitro wrote:
Yes it is. Please people, don't mess with my brain.

You can stop trolling you know. You create a lot of these pointless threads. It really isn't funny.

Good. I'm not the only one who noticed. Also, he never makes posts outside of the threads he creates. I can't figure out if he's just not high functioning or a troll.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Sep 2012, 5:33 pm

^^ And at best, it's extremely rude to discuss publically whether you think someone is trolling and at worst, it can also be considered a personal attack.
If you have concerns about anything you see on WP the correct action is to report it to a moderator.

rabidrabbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

Whether or not this thread was deliberately intended to cause an argument I for one would and have for my entire life been seeking a way to be happy, functional and capable of being independent. I think you need to visit a psychiatric hospital or budget or state-provided assisted living facility before you declare that a cure or treatment for autism is a bad thing.

Or as Kairi said:

Quote:
I think that a cure for AS isn't an immediate need. I think that society should focus more on curing LFA. My brother has severe autism: he can't speak, and he self-harms because of this(or at least the doctor said so).
People with high-funtioning autism forms have problems too, that's sure; but I can go to school, dress myself, and live my life without a person always helping me. I just would like to have an easier life, but people like my brother definitively need a cure.