Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm

At work, oddly enough I can clean and I can clean till its perfect. At home is an entirely different matter. I clean, but also keep pockets of mess which is currently getting me in a wee bit of trouble with the relatives. Simply, my brain proceses if the mess isn't huge like I can see the floor then the room isn't messy even if there may be something out of place. I clean, but only if the dirt really bothers me, otherwise I don't clean.

But there is another thing, if you tell me to clean something or force me to clean something I will outright utterely refuse to do so. I hate being forced to clean and especially to someone else's standards that I cannot acheive. No matter how much I try. It makes me feel defeated in a way.

Any advice? Suggestions?

My room isn't that messy, a few empty bottles, sometimes socks on the floor. And my relatives behave as if the world is about to explode just cause they are there.

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2014, 2:11 am

Do your cleaning to music and set yourself a weekly routine, do bits at a time at your own pace (within reason) and stick to it. You may even find stuff easier (or find stuff period :lol: ) after you clean up. I agree that a 100% sterile house is one that has not been lived in, but you do need to clean every now and then - helps keep insects out and improves overall wellbeing.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:04 am

Pandora_Box wrote:
At work, oddly enough I can clean and I can clean till its perfect. At home is an entirely different matter. I clean, but also keep pockets of mess which is currently getting me in a wee bit of trouble with the relatives. Simply, my brain proceses if the mess isn't huge like I can see the floor then the room isn't messy even if there may be something out of place. I clean, but only if the dirt really bothers me, otherwise I don't clean.

But there is another thing, if you tell me to clean something or force me to clean something I will outright utterely refuse to do so. I hate being forced to clean and especially to someone else's standards that I cannot acheive. No matter how much I try. It makes me feel defeated in a way.

Any advice? Suggestions?

My room isn't that messy, a few empty bottles, sometimes socks on the floor. And my relatives behave as if the world is about to explode just cause they are there.

Perhaps Fluoxetine can help

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:40 am

ImAnAspie wrote:

Perhaps Fluoxetine can help

he said he had trouble cleaning and you want to DRUG him? How about attempting a few less drastic things before we introduce foreign chemicals to the body?

What about trying a few lists or something like that. You know certain behaviors bother the people you live with and you want to get along since if they yell at you it bothers you. Maybe just post a small note to yourself to pick things up or just try making a little habit step by step. It is a know fact that if you repeat something more than 13-20 times in a row it becomes a habit and much more natural. AND having neater surroundings are less stressful anyway, it makes it easier to find things when you need them. - makes for a win-win, you get along with them and you have an easier time yourself.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:41 am

Just clean by your standards. Clean when you feel it's necessary, clean because you don't like living in a pig sty. Just do what works for you. You sound like you're capable of doing it, and you sound like you don't have that much to work with.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:59 am

886 wrote:
Just clean by your standards. Clean when you feel it's necessary, clean because you don't like living in a pig sty. Just do what works for you. You sound like you're capable of doing it, and you sound like you don't have that much to work with.

one can do this if one lives by ones self, if a person lives in a place with other people things are different.

living by myslef I keep my own hours, play whatever music I want, cook what and when I want and do the dishes when I want.

living with other people - they need to be considered for all of these things or they are not going to care about me needing to have them be quiet or need to be private when I need it. Life cannot be a one way street unless you are on a deserted island.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

Another thing that might motivate you would be to think about the pests you don't want coming into your home, such as silverfish and bedbugs. As soon as anybody mentions any of those two things, I clean my place until it's spotless.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:25 am

Music helps me stay focused on cleaning.

Plus, last night I watched an episode of Hoarders. Though I am by no means a hoarder, it sure inspired me to do some housework today. :)

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

What I know is once I get something cleaned, it stays cleaned. Work desk, home desk, bedroom, kitchen sink, you name it.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm

I have a problem with messes
my room has been a mess for so long I actually dont want to change it
there is stuff on top of my dresser I tossed there over 10 years ago
im kind of attached to my mess

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:06 pm

I don't really have any good advice but I also have a hard time getting motivated to clean and rarely do it.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

I can't sit around in a mess for any amount of time. Sometimes I try to clean up messes at other people's places.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm

886 wrote:

Sadly, I live with people who want things done to their standards.

For me I find it hard to clean for a number of reasons:

-I come home from having a day of social, I just throw s**t where I want because I am tired mentally

-When someone forces me to do something it isn't easy for me to do because I am not super motivated to do it

-When someone tries to bully and intimidate me into doing it because they will perform some sort of negative punished it makes me defeated

The people in this house for what I do do and try to do, never say I appreciate the effort, never say thank you for doing that. At least when I was living with my father he would even as an adult say, i appreciate your contribrution, thank you.

They always tell me bad things about me. They always say bad things. Everything I do do is never good enough. So I don't feel like cleaning.