Why do a lot of NTs seem to hate intellectuals?

Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

rastaking
Raven
Raven

30 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

At least here in America they do. I don't mean to generalize, but it seems like the majority of NTs (including the majority of Americans) are ANTI-intellectual. For example, I have a lot of knowledge about businesses, much of which I learned via the Internet. I would say most of my education has been from the Internet, and my schools were useless at actually educating me. But when I was in school (not that long ago), my parents would always bother me if I didn't finish homework, even though I always had decent grades and a decent work ethic. I've tried to explain it to them, but I think my parents still have this misconception that the Internet is only for entertainment, not a wonderful educational tool. They tend to dismiss my hobbies (see my previous posts) as "weird" and have sometimes laughed about them, sometimes in front of psychologists with me in the room, no less. Moral of the story is that I don't think my parents (or most NTs) could care less about actual education or learning, but like to boss kids around, and the real purpose of our society's "education" system is to instill unquestioning obedience in kids. I never thought of myself as an intellectual, but this is a (derogatory?) label people have given me, perhaps because they don't really know the meaning of that word and/or can't think of a better word. Whenever I try to have an important conversation about politics, religion etc (discussed respectfully) with an NT, they seem to want to change the topic fast, not because they are offended by my beliefs, but because they are offended by the NERVE I had to talk about something so boring and not important to us "plain folks". The costs of ignorance to our society are tragic. A lot of Republicans these days seem to hate Obama because they assume all Kenyans (Obama is Kenyan American) are Muslims, and all Muslims must be terrorists, or so the Republicans think.

I also am shocked at how easily NTs, Americans in particular, seem to believe propaganda without questioning the facts. And a lot of people over a certain age, including so-called "educated" people, still have never really learned how to use the Internet. I think this is NOT because they have trouble learning how, but because they choose not to, mostly due to their ignorance and disdain of intellectual achievement. There even is a group of German-speaking religious fanatics in America called the "Amish" who never learned how to use electricity or cars, and dress in 17th century clothing. They think of education as useless and seem to have nothing of cultural value to offer the greater world.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

NT's tend to have a broader range of interests and dislike discussing one particular subject for extensive periods. Intellectuals tend to have a specific interest or area of knowledge which makes them poor conversationalists a lot of the time. I think its more a matter of social compatibility than 'hatred'. Maybe passive aggressive or contemptuous at worst.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

If the group of people you are talking with are not interested in politics or the subject of the intellectual discussion you wish to have, then they will not be engaged in that conversation, so they try to switch the subject.

Also, it can come across as arrogant if you're treating them as if their opinion is wrong and they must be educated on the subject. They may not want to be educated at that moment, or maybe they have reasons for their beliefs that you are not allowing them to express. Politics is just a very touchy subject that can divide people if they are not truly interested in having an intellectual debate. I'd suggest saving that subject for people who have politics as an interest. Same goes with other intellectual subjects, for a similar reason (they may not want to learn or may not be as engaged as you are).

LeeTimmer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

I don't wish to come across as flippant, but being intellectual often involves hard work (reading, studying, thinking, etc.). Americans, in general, are extremely lazy (and yes, I'm an American). Many of those same anti-intellectuals, however, can tell you what happened on Jersey Shore last week or how much Katie Holmes spends on clothes for Suri each month. Pathetic.

rastaking
Raven
Raven

30 Aug 2012, 5:23 pm

I really appreciate your answers, but I think maybe I didn't do a good enough job of explaining the problem. A lot of my family members and friends are veterans, yet they don't seem to know the first thing about other countries than the USA. For example, a lot of them seem to not know the difference between the Spanish and Mexicans. One of them thought Australia was a county in England. These are just a couple examples, but I think a lot of Americans (and NTs all over the world) are extremely ignorant about basic knowledge of geography, history, cultures, etc.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

There even is a group of German-speaking religious fanatics in America called the "Amish" who never learned how to use electricity or cars, and dress in 17th century clothing. They think of education as useless and seem to have nothing of cultural value to offer the greater world.

One of the valuable traits about America is the First Amendment right of Freedom of Religion; the right to practice religion and any particular cultural traits that surround it. The word "fanatic" is not a particularly appropriate word to apply to them. I've interacted with them and while they are steadfast in their decision to follow the lifestyle they brought with them from Germany and elsewhere in the 1700's (broadly), they do value education. Just not past the sixth or seventh grades, which is their right. As to lacking cultural value to offer the greater world - I'm willing to bet there are a lot of Aspie's and NT's who would appreciate their simple lifestyle, their lack of dependence on foreign oil and furniture - and quilt-making techniques.

I do agree with your post before the Amish comment - I daresay that NT's "hate" intellectuals, but simply don't know how to interact with us. ;)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

If you really are an intellectual, you should be able to figure out what the cultural value is that the Amish offer to the greater world.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

People tend to 'hate' intellectuals because an intellectual is more likely to perceive a lie or reveal someone else's ignorance.

For instance, someone once told me that there can be no DNA in our cells because DNA is acidic and acid dissolves flesh.

I pointed out to him that if that were the case, he would have no mouth or stomach because both saliva and stomach fluids are acidic.

He called me a spawn of Satan and has refused to speak to me ever since.

Good riddance.

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:47 pm

rastaking wrote:
There even is a group of German-speaking religious fanatics in America called the "Amish" who never learned how to use electricity or cars, and dress in 17th century clothing. They think of education as useless and seem to have nothing of cultural value to offer the greater world.

Maybe when you're finished with your mental masturbation you can pick up a copy of "How not to be a douche for dummies". You make a thread about being looked down on and end it by devaluing a people who do no harm to society as per their cultural values.

Non conformist Intellectual? Better get another assessment.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:48 pm

LeeTimmer wrote:
I don't wish to come across as flippant, but being intellectual often involves hard work (reading, studying, thinking, etc.). Americans, in general, are extremely lazy (and yes, I'm an American). Many of those same anti-intellectuals, however, can tell you what happened on Jersey Shore last week or how much Katie Holmes spends on clothes for Suri each month. Pathetic.

Well Lee, in essence you're right. I'll come across posts on the High IQ'd stating the element of hard work that's involved in obtaining an original thought, even for them. Essentially if the culture is a bit slack (mild euphemism) then that someone/individual does what they see everyone doing. That's the "value." Generally, that's what you'll get.

But, on the other side of the coin though, not everyone ( in fact most) has that 'oomph'( horsepower) on an academic level- no matter what is going on around them.

rastaking
Raven
Raven

30 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

LadybugQ, you need to put quotes around my paragraph if you want to quote it. Anyway, I have a problem with the Amish for a reason. First of all, if you want to talk about the First Amendment and "freedom" and "rights", you ought to think about the rights of Amish people (especially teenagers) who may or may not agree with the social mores of their church leaders. If a man wants to practice a religion of simple living in America, he has a Constitutional right to do that. But according to Amish religious rules, members essentially have no rights unless they choose to leave the church. When a member leaves, he has to be shunned. This means he is no longer allowed to speak to his own family members! Also, science is never taught in Amish schools at all. This is censorship. A former Amish woman (shunned) told me she was taught that science is "against God".

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
For instance, someone once told me that there can be no DNA in our cells because DNA is acidic and acid dissolves flesh.

I :lol:

That is a truly weird mishmash of knowledge and ignorance. Few people learn that the "A" in DNA stands for "acid" without also learning at least a little of how it functions.

Weiss_Yohji
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

Amish don't entirely shun modern technology. They use it whenever they have to. And then there's Rumspringa, when their teenagers get to live the "English" life, as religious moralizing plus raging hormones don't make for a mentally healthy adult. Only upon adulthood do you choose to get baptized in the church or to leave and join your newfound English friends.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

rastaking wrote:
For example, a lot of them seem to not know the difference between the Spanish and Mexicans. One of them thought Australia was a county in England.

George Bush thought that people in Mexico spoke "Mexican."

For someone whose country contains a huge amount of Hispanic immigrants, that's rather shocking.

Of course, this is coming from a person who used to think that in Morocco they spoke "Moroccan." :oops: That is an embarrassing admission to make, but the difference is, I'm not the President. The President should surely be someone who has good all-round general knowledge (or at least is willing to educate himself using the Internet, as you mentioned). General knowledge is meant to be something NTs are good at.

Happily I now know that in Morocco they speak Arabic and French! For anyone else reading this who may be in doubt, there is no such language as Moroccan, just as there is no such language as Mexican! :lol:

I'm not American, though. I'm a Brit.

OP, you would love this girl. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plIgEbggSs[/youtube]

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

I agree that it is kind of...I don't know, small-minded to call the Amish "fanatics," but I have to disagree that their stance on education is a "right." The Amish adults make this decision <i>for</i> their children. They ought not deprive their children of education beyond the middle school level. It is child abuse. Even though they supposedly give youngsters the choice to leave the Amish community, they make it next to impossible for them to do so, by undereducating them at least, as well as removing the support of friends and family who are still in the community. The youngsters will have a very difficult time supporting themselves outside the Amish community without at least a high school diploma.

OldGeek
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

I agree, intellectualism is viewed unfavorably among the sheeple. Any form of individualism is "anti-social behavior". I have learned not to even try to talk to them. I can go for many days without any meaningful conversation at all, and I work at a college!