Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

I was being interviewed by a lady at the job centre a week ago. more too the point in the interview on the topic of aspergers she said too me "now your living with this something like this"

she making out like its some horrible disease. she did also talk too me like i was a child

am i misunderstanding she is saying or something because is aseprgers really that nasty of a condtion in the whole scheme of things? my mother thinks the people who work at the job centre discriminate against people like me quite often. the people who interview me make out aspergers too be a terrible thing so its makes me feel really bad :(

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

Asperger's is only "terrible" insofar as people with it are discriminated against, and not taught social skills because they are assumed to have them already due to their intelligence otherwise.

AQ: 33

LogiXYZ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

Aspergers is different is each person. I suffer from depression from time to time, that part of it can be a b**ch to get through. But overall those who are negatively affected the worst are usually also those seeking/getting a diagnosis, thus this is the general stigma of AS.

Correcting the employee on her lack of knowledge regarding the diagnosis would have been alright.

Also if you feel somebody is talking down to you, tell them to stop. I've found that to be very effective as far as letting people know I'm not a moron. Though you should know some will do it without thinking about it, they will just deny talking down to you. There is no reasoning with those people, so I usually just take comfort in the fact that my IQ is 50 points higher than theirs. :D

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm

That's happened to me before and it's annoying that people can treat you as inferior or damaged because of it. One interviewer equated my aspergers to the brain damage that her husband has. I just decided that this was not a person I would want to work with. My references agreed, telling me that she grilled them for 15 minutes on my AS and how to work with me, when they really didn't see it as a big deal.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2012, 7:17 pm

I guess a lot of people who don't have AS or don't know anyone who has AS must have lots of misconceptions about it because of not being properly educated on what the condition actually is. Fortunately I never had any misconceptions of what AS was. A friend of mine who has it told me about it and because I wanted to know what it was, I researched and found out for myself. Of course when I actually did begin to research, I discovered I had a lot of traits that are common with AS and that certainly was a big surprise. :lol:

The answer to the question of whether or not AS is horrible all depends on opinions. From what I have noticed, some people who have it think it's absolutely horrible and others who have it are glad to have it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

The way that person treated you is wrong--your diagnosis doesn't change that one way or the other. Talking to you like you're a child is something that shows very little respect.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

Aspergers affects everybody in different ways. It almost seems that people who have heard about it assume everybody that has Aspergers can't function in society and need lots of help doing just the basics. Near where I live is an assisted living home for people with Aspergers. I also know some people that have Aspergers that are happily married. I also know some people that have Aspergers that have long-term employment and have good paying jobs. I also know some Aspies that are reclusive and single and have a hard time finding meaningful employment. We are all different. You won't know how a certain person is affected by Aspergers until you sit down and talk with that person.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

Maybe, she was being motherly when she started talking to you as IF you were a child. LoL.

But, then again, since she acted as IF Aspergers was such a horrendous condition, something tells me THAT she may have thought you had cognitive delays.

She did it in-order to make sure you understood her and not out of meanness...

Don't let others perception of Aspergers, or anything for that matter, define U.

TheSunAlsoRises

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

Since Aspergers is considered some kind or level of autism, and people think of autistic as being comparable to "ret*d", what do you think will happen? You have to go out of your way to find out that a spectrum exists, so the moment people hear "autistic" they think of the last kid who could hardly speak and act that their saw at the mall or in a theater somewhere.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

It's really weird how people react differently to AS. Most people will react, "you're just shy get over it" or AS is fake. Occasionally you will get someone who speaks half speed and thinks you're incapable of putting a coherent thought together. My college counselor did this to me. It was like watching a Captain Caveman cartoon, it was just weird. Then some people worry obsessively about offending your AS. Please.... There's nothing they could say that would offend me after the s**t that I've heard (and said) over the last 40 years. Is it any wonder we have social problems when people are so unpredictable? Never know what you're gonna get.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:52 pm

It's bad.

Doesn't mean it has to make you feel bad though.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

is it the emotional problems that aspergers causes which impairs you?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

Asperger's is a terrible thing when you have:

-14 cousins that are all NTs and all seem to be getting on OK, socially and intellectually
-Too much self-awareness, where you become hypersensitive to other people's behaviour near you and become fearfully paranoid that everybody's judging you
-You have some sort of weird phobia of feeling rejected or left out or treated like a little kid or a ret*d

cherrycoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm

I once had a job centre appointment too. On the first one the woman who is a job search adviser said to me she "didn't think she could advise me find a job because I had aspergers". I told her if she couldn't advise me, she couldn't advise anyone and should consider a career change from being an adviser.

Nevertheless I had to go see a disability job search adviser who told me she was qualified to hold that post because she "had a disability too" (I swear down, no other formal qualifications) because I started questioning why she could help me but the normal adviser could not.

Jobcentre doesn't do doctors, but if it did, they'd probably be any nitwit who once had a common cold and now knows everything about every medical condition without any formal training.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

I'd love to be a NT for a week to know how it feels.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

03 Sep 2012, 6:03 pm

No, Asperger's isn't as bad as the woman is making it out to be (or, at least not personally).