Did you ever have a meltdown in school

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Melted down constantly during elementary school due to changes of plan/changes in the environment around me/sensory overstimulation/not being able to do preferred activities. I would melt down more if I had a teacher who wasn't particularly understanding of me and didn't pick her battles.

Around grade 6, my meltdowns lessened, but they still happened around once a month. I rarely have them today...my last one happened about 3 or so months ago, and that was after 11 months without one.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2012, 6:30 pm

I had one last year in high school. We had a fire drill but nobody told me like i was told people where going to do. I freaked out and started crying and pushing my hands against my ears. When we got outside i just sat down and rocked. I couldnt move. I think it was more of a shutdown. My friend came over and sat next to me telling me it was only a drill. Ha, like i cared about the fire. The super loud noise is what made me have a meltdown

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

I've had mini shut-downs where I've just needed to leave the room for a while. No meltdowns, though.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

If yelling at, cursing & cussing a teacher count, then yes, I have had two of these. Generally, I was pretty level headed behavior wise. However, there were a couple times in Middle & Grade School where I hit or kicked a bully. So add a few of those too. I had a pretty legendary temper in my youth.

Sincerely,
Matthew

CosmicCastaway
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
CosmicCastaway wrote:
I couldn't take it, so I just burst into hysterics, and when the teacher demanded an answer, I told her my heart hurt, which was metaphorically true. Although, that sort of panicked everyone, and I was abruptly sent home, and narrowly avoided being sent to the ER....

I know the point you were trying to make is the difference the teacher makes but I just had to point out how ironic this part is.

Everyone panicked. Now who's taking things literally? :lol:

Hah. I guess that is really ironic. Great point :)

AQ: 39

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

Not during the school day. After school though, around teachers. Sobbing type. The one I'm thinking of is because when they changed the schedules/classes (which happened every 6 weeks), they didn't put any of my friends with me in my classes. (And the learning needs were very different for the people in the class and me - I'm twice exceptional and interested in learning, most of the people in class with me were actively against the idea of thinking.)

I reacted so poorly that we set up a 504 plan for me with an accommodation that they needed to have one a specific set of people in classes with me at all times. They decided to take the easy
way out and always have me and my best friend in all classes together.

It was interesting setting up a 504 plan with that as an accommodation with me not being diagnosed with Asperger's yet - I had a diagnosis of social anxiety so the school put it through under that.

My meltdowns started after puberty.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2012, 12:02 pm

I have in middle school a lot, but that was just crying. I did shutdown a lot in high school though, I tried to tell my psychiatrist and the school staff that one of my classes made me really anxious because it was loud. They didn't believe me. So I basically shutdown and scratched my forearm till it bled. I was then told that I was only doing it for attention.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

I never necessarily had meltdowns; I could mask my emotions very well when I wanted to. Sometimes when I got home after a particularly rough day, yes, but not really ever at school. I do have a temper, but not when I'm around people I don't know/just acquaintances. I have seen some meltdowns happen, and I can definitely say that some teachers are more lenient in this respect than others.

Teddy8098
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

The last i can remember was in yr 8 and 9. Simply because I had forgotten my homework. So what basically happened was my teacher said the homework was due in today and I had a small panic attack.
Everything was alright in the lesson until my teacher announced that anyone who hadn't done their H/W had 15 minutes after school. Now that really sent me into panics and I just started crying . Not just quiet crying but it was panicky. My teacher sent me out and tried to calm me down. All I really needed was some quiet time and the rest of the 10 minutes did just that.

My diagnoses:
Autistic Spectrum Disorder
ADD
Dyspraxia

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

In middle school, I unexpectedly gained a reputation for having meltdowns on a near-daily basis.

Hardly any of my teachers at the time, including my psychologist, understood, except my "main" teacher who used her eccentricities to introduce me to Jamie, a male Autistic student who had a similar reputation.

To this day, I'm grateful that she helped me find a friend, but sometimes I wonder how my old teacher would have reacted to my mom forcing me and Jamie apart several years after we met.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

Yeah, that's happened. Sixth grade was the last time it did. After that my mom pulled me out and I was either home-schooled or went to tiny private schools where most of us had a disability.

I had meltdowns at home much more often, up until I left home actually. It was at home that I was most stressed, so it was there that I was most likely to lose it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 5:36 pm

I've never had a meltdown in class before, though I had one at lunch once (I used to eat lunch in m English teacher/mentor's room along with my friends) and I've had many panic attacks at school before because of public speaking assignments my French teacher tried to force on me. The one that happened at lunch occurred near the end of my senior year. My friend was trying to help me sort through the mounds of paperwork I had to do for graduation. I was dreading the thought of leaving high school as it was, and was resentful of the school system that put so much pressure on kids who were already overloaded trying to apply for colleges and pass final exams. I got more and more frantic and agitated with everything she tried to discuss, shouting that I couldn't process it all, until I threw my hands in the air and ran out of the room. My debate team coach, a friend of my mentor's, was in the room with us. She tracked me down and found me rocking in a bathroom stall. She managed to talk me back down to a state of normalcy by explaining how I could organise everything to get it done, and we returned in time for the end of lunch. That was the only time I've ever had a meltdown at school so far though.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Yes.

Several times.

Hasn't happened to me in awhile, though.

Tazweteq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2013, 1:32 am

I've never had a meltdown or I don't remember.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 7:18 am

hmm... yeah

my meltdowns were their worse when I was in school, it became a sport to tease me to see how much it would take before i lost it...
yet they were still surprised when I did.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 8:36 am

no