Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

burtsbees1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2013, 1:07 pm

I received my denial letter for SSI and I want to appeal. The letter said that I have to ask for an appeal/request for reconsideration in writing, but I'm not sure what all to include in it. In the Explanation of Determination letter, it said that my condition allows me to preform less demanding work, and that the evidence that they have does show that I have the limitations that I had described. It also said that " The evidence we now have is not sufficient to support your condition was disabling prior to 3/31/11 when your period of coverage ended" and that if I could support my claim to write or call them. The last time I was able to work was in 2010. I was diagnosed with Autism level 2 earlier this year, and I had send a copy of my school transcript to them during the application process, showing that I was in resource classes.

Does anyone know what other information I need to send? If anyone did appeal, what did you include in the letter? Can I have family members write letters too, and include them with my appeal letter?Thanks.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

Rather than just your diagnosis - why is it that you can't work? A diagnosis is one thing, actual reason you can't work is another.

For me, the reason I can't work is because of my sensory issues. So I'd provide proof of my sensory issues, and proof that they're such that I can't work.

I don't know why you feel you can't work.

burtsbees1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2013, 1:26 pm

I can't drive due to anxiety and don't have any way to get to a job. Where I live there are no places to work within walking distance and I don't have any money for public transportation. I have never had a job for long because the managers felt that I was being rude to customers, and I have never got along with coworkers and don't know how to have a conversation with them. I have a very hard time talking to people that I don't know and I have a hard time keeping eye contact.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

It seems that your issues are related to mental issues and not physical. It'll probably help to get a psychological eval from your state's DSHS and use that information with your appeal. The eval is free if you apply for Medicaid through DSHS. I mentioned your state's DSHS because you probably don't have the money for a private eval. How are you supporting yourself now?

burtsbees1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2013, 1:55 pm

I'm living with my parents right now, they pay for everything (food, ect) I did see a psychologist, but the disability people were unable to get information from him for some reason. I had asked him to send the records that he had when I found out that they didn't get it, but I never heard back from him. I did see a disability doctor, that's where they got the medical information they needed, I guess.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

Dear burtsbees, I really do hope you can prove your disability. AS means often that the Aspie can only do a very few kinds of work, and that any other kind would drive you stark raving nuts/suicidal. At least I can relate to your plight. If I didn't have the job I have I think I would have started smoking with the hopes of getting lung cancer....

Anyway, if you get a more discriminate evaluation from your psychologist affirming what I said above, you might be able to get the SSI. Also, it is normal for the govt to deny SSI at the first go-around. So keep at it. Your most likely were not made for this world.

burtsbees1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

I just sent an email to the psychiatrist that I saw asking for him to mail me whatever records that he had about my visit. I emailed him because I'm pretty sure his office is closed today, and I really do not like talking on the phone, it makes me nervous. Do I mail his medical records with my Request for Reconsideration letter, or with the Reconsideration Disability Report when I get it?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 2:59 pm

That I do not know. But I would suggest contacting Catholic Charities in your area. They ought to be able to refer you (almost for free) to someone who can push your case (almost for free).

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 3:14 pm

First, hire an attorney versed in disability law. Let the attorney handle the paperwork for an appeal.

Second, be prepared for a LONG wait. Due to the recent cat fight in Washington, as well as Sequestration, it may be over a year until your appeal comes up.

Third, make an application to your state's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. They should be able to help with job training and placement, now that you have a diagnosis.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 3:14 pm

Get a disability lawyer,if they think they have a good case they will take it and they get paid when you get benefits.If they don't win they don't get paid.Most people get denied the first time,you may have to go before a judge.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

But first see if you can get a social worker (use Catholic Charities) to do the work for you. I have some experience in this. Only contact a lawyer on your own if the CC avenue hits a dead end.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

You may also want to contact GRASP, www.grasp.org, for additional resources, as well as your state's bureau of autism resources.

burtsbees1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

Thanks everyone, I decided to get a disability lawyer to help.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Get a disability lawyer,if they think they have a good case they will take it and they get paid when you get benefits.If they don't win they don't get paid.Most people get denied the first time,you may have to go before a judge.

That depends on what state you live in. Wnen I first applied, and I applied for disability because of my diabetes, SSA was working with a pilot program where you didn't see an Administrative judge. You went before a review panel. Your attorney will advise you, once all the record gathering and evaluations have been completed, whether you go to court or if you appear before a panel.

theSpecialLife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2013, 3:35 pm

Hi burtsbees1... I'd like to make a suggestion for a completely different approach to your dilemma..

You said:
I can't drive due to anxiety and don't have any way to get to a job. Where I live there are no places to work within walking distance and I don't have any money for public transportation. I have never had a job for long because the managers felt that I was being rude to customers, and I have never got along with coworkers and don't know how to have a conversation with them. I have a very hard time talking to people that I don't know and I have a hard time keeping eye contact.

From reading that, I'd like to suggest that there ARE income opportunities for you, regardless of these issue.

Please don't let these problems stop you from becoming fully independent and self reliant financially.

Here are some ideas:
- consider other ways of getting to where you need to go.. public transit, car-sharing, cabs, etc. Many communities offer ways to share rides, it may just be a job to find them
- try to think creatively about where you can work - either work from home, or find creative things to do locally.

Observations: Clearly, you have access to a computer, and are able to clearly express yourself. Already that puts you ahead of many, many people in terms of qualifications....

There are many, many opportunities to work from home, either on your PC or in some other fashion. There are tons of businesses that need help to do things for their websites . You can offer your services to them, or for that matter, start your own online business. Working on a computer will eliminate most of your worries about inter-actions with other people.

There are also some companies that recognize that people with Aspergers or mild autism are ideal as programmers, testers, etc. SAP is an international company that has publicly stated that they are looking for people with Aspergers because they make ideal employees.

Don;t want to work on a computer? Consider doing physical jobs - lawn care and snow removal, junk removal, painting, cleaning, etc. There are many people that have created large businesses doing just that.

Please don't think of your issues with inter-personal relations a lifetime sentence. It is very possible that you can learn how to cope, and possibly eliminate these problems if you focus on improving it. There are a lot of self-help books, as well as programs or coaches that can assist you.

You're not alone in working with whatever your personality traits are. There is help from people who have gone before you.
On this site even, there is reference to a book to help you find employment...
Look at the home page, and you'll find:
The Complete Guide to Getting a Job for People with Asperger's Syndrome
Find the Right Career and Get Hired

I strongly recommend that you consider options for self-reliance over reliance on support systems from others.
Develop your own path, based on your interests and strengths and do your best to keep growing and developing your skills in all areas.

Resigning yourself to receiving social assistance may sound like an easy or desirable option - but only in the short term.
In the long view, you would end up spending the rest of your life trying to justify all the things that you CAN'T do, which over time will rob you of confidence and self-respect.

Please don't go there....

Focus on opportunity, wherever you can find it, and you can create a happier, more fulfilling life for yourself.
You CAN do this. The first step is to imagine the possibilities, then just start experimenting...

Offered only in kindness...