Page 5 of 12 [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 11:08 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
As a kid I loved trains, I loved everything about them expect for their god forsaken whistles.
Does anything I mention here ring a bell here?

I found the "train thing" in autism interesting, but didn't see how it applied to me, since I have what I consider to be a very wide range of interests.

Then I had an imaginary conversation in my head, going through a monologue that I might recite if someone asked me to tell them everything I know about trains and railroads.

Hmmm. That would be a long monologue (or an even longer conversation), and one that I would not find boring at all...

Also, how many train videos must an undiagnosed autistic person post on his YouTube channel before an AI should send him an email with some links to some ASD diagnostic quizzes?
:D

https://www.youtube.com/c/DarronBirgenheier/search?query=train

Darron

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 12:47 am

:mrgreen:

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:34 am

Erewhon wrote:
:mrgreen:

Trains presently cancelled due to snow

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 6:01 am

GadgetGuru wrote:
Then I had an imaginary conversation in my head, going through a monologue that I might recite if someone asked me to tell them everything I know about trains and railroads.

Hmmm. That would be a long monologue (or an even longer conversation), and one that I would not find boring at all...

I hear ya! :D

Quote:
Also, how many train videos must an undiagnosed autistic person post on his YouTube channel before an AI should send him an email with some links to some ASD diagnostic quizzes?

That is funny! :D
Or ...
How many hours watching Virtual Railfan's live YouTube feeds ...

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 6:31 am

Or in the UK, the informative cab ride videos posted by Don Coffree... Or old BR traction training and route learning films

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:09 am

My friend Rick was on the train to Churchill, Manitoba, on Hudson's Bay when the engineer appeared in the passenger area at a station and asked if anyone wanted to ride up front. Rick jumped at the chance, and got to hear all about the route, and blow the whistle for road crossings (rare.) When they got to Churchill, Rick asked if the ride was allowed by the company. "Heck no! But, I've been driving it alone for 30 years, and this was my last run."

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm

Dear_one wrote:
My friend Rick was on the train to Churchill, Manitoba, on Hudson's Bay when the engineer appeared in the passenger area at a station and asked if anyone wanted to ride up front. Rick jumped at the chance, and got to hear all about the route, and blow the whistle for road crossings (rare.) When they got to Churchill, Rick asked if the ride was allowed by the company. "Heck no! But, I've been driving it alone for 30 years, and this was my last run."

Awesome!

My father talked an airliner pilot into letting me explore the cabin when I was a wee lad. We were on the ground, as I recall, but it was still a great time for a plane-crazy little kid back in the 1970s.

Darron

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 1:51 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When they got to Churchill, Rick asked if the ride was allowed by the company. "Heck no! But, I've been driving it alone for 30 years, and this was my last run."

Hehehe! That is cool.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 2:01 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
but it was still a great time for a plane-crazy little kid back in the 1970s.

Indeed it was.
:D
Whatever happened to them in the intervening five decades isn't known, but TWA had plastic pin-on pilots wings they at least sometimes gave to children back then.
I can not recall whether they were given to me before, after, or even on a different flight than one on which a cockpit visit happened.

Remember one time as a young teen my assigned seat happened to be right at one of the emergency exit window locations.
Turned that was said to be adults only seating so I had to move to the middle seat.
What struck me funny was that I could even have accurately diagrammed then emergency exit's internal mechanism while the adult gal they put next to it was clueless about how to open it.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

LocHal, old beauty

The LocHal is located on the north side of the central station in Tilburg. This hall was built 90 years ago in the year 123 after Darwin, and has long served as a workshop for the NS (Dutch Railways). Not only the Lochal but the entire railway zone still breathes nostalgia as it used to be. For some it might be 'old stuff', for me it's 'old beauty'. As a painter, blisters on paintwork are a no-go, in the LocHal the blisters on the construction are rather a must to travel back in time to the last century. LocHal stands for LocomotiveHal. A huge hoisting construction with which the Locomotives were lifted at the time has been preserved. A multifunctional building, library, cafe, exhibition space, lectures, music and similar performances. And when it rains you can take shelter while you read the world problems in the NRC. Free wifi, and as a practicing Darwinist I regularly end up with the books of the master from Shrewsbury.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 1:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sandpiper wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
Somewhere in Belgium. :D
The fire brigade is putting out a fire somewhere along the track. With the ingenious invention so that the trains can continue to drive, despite the fact that there are fire hoses on the track. :mrgreen:

I'm assuming those ingenious inventions are intended to allow road vehicles to pass over the hoses and that the fireman who put them there have no understanding that trains work in rather different ways to road vehicles? Or am I missing something?

I'm a train driver and I really wouldn't want to be seeing something like that on the track in front of me.

Yeah. Its the dumbest thing I ever saw. Those things would probably cause the train to derail! Certainly would not make anything safer.

Not actually knowing the details in this, there could certainly be a non-smothbrain explanation. The rail line could well be temporary closed; any even partly competent scene commander would have contacted the railroad immediately or their would not be a supply line over the tracks. The plastic guards (presumably to protect the hose if road vehicles drive over) could well have been placed there to protect the hose from getting cut, not by a train, but by any metal shards or other debree which could cause a cut/tear/puncture in the hose. Firehoses are tough, but not immune to cut damage from debree. This is why a towel or other item is placed under a hose snaking through someone's car window if the person parked in front of a hydrant and the FFs had to go through the car or any other time there is a spot at perticuarly risk for cut/abration damage.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:56 pm

Worthless wrote:
Not actually knowing the details in this, there could certainly be a non-smothbrain explanation. The rail line could well be temporary closed; any even partly competent scene commander would have contacted the railroad immediately or their would not be a supply line over the tracks.

:arrow: May 3, 2014
https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-h ... net-2014-5

Quote:
It says:

Hey, this past week our funny photo went viral throughout the whole world. Thousands of shares and likes in many different countries!

Once and for all: The picture was taken in Belgium, in a small village called Bornem. After a minor intervention, we had some time left near the railway to make this picture. Since there were no trains running at all for a week due to maintenance works, we can state that our joke was a real success! 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 4:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:

The dad across the street that I grew up on (in suburban Washington DC), was a career Russian expert for the State Dept. who often returned from government business trips to the USSR.

He told us all about how on one trip he was a passenger on a midsized prop airliner between two towns in rural USSR, when the plane just started to...rock back and forth in mid air. He asked them what was happening. And they told him "oh...the pilot invited a passenger into the cockpit, and is letting the passenger sit at the controls and steer for awhile." Like it was no big deal.

We were all like 8O :o !

A train engineer doing that I could deal with, but not a plane pilot.

We all sorta concluded that "Russians have less freedom than us in some ways, but must have more freedom than us in other ways...like to do stupid s**t that would violate our FAA rules like that.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 1:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

The dad across the street that I grew up on (in suburban Washington DC), was a career Russian expert for the State Dept. who often returned from government business trips to the USSR.

He told us all about how on one trip he was a passenger on a midsized prop airliner between two towns in rural USSR, when the plane just started to...rock back and forth in mid air. He asked them what was happening. And they told him "oh...the pilot invited a passenger into the cockpit, and is letting the passenger sit at the controls and steer for awhile." Like it was no big deal.

We were all like 8O :o !

A train engineer doing that I could deal with, but not a plane pilot.

We all sorta concluded that "Russians have less freedom than us in some ways, but must have more freedom than us in other ways...like to do stupid s**t that would violate our FAA rules like that.

I saw an episode of those shows about air disasters once that the cause was the russian piolets let two children fly the plane...

Russians really do have their own way of doing things. There seems to be a pervasive attitude of just not giving a Блядь.

I have only ever been in russia once, for 3 days as a child in St. Petersburg, but that was certainly an eye opening experience and a fascinating glimpse into that world. Taking the train from Helsinki really added to the experience significantly.

At some point, after regime change of course, I would like to visit again. I have always wanted to ride the Trans -Siberian Railway.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 5:39 am

^^ I have also ridden in the cab of a steam engine at a very young age, and did a course correction and descent in a BOAC DC-3 at age 12. I did them a lot more abruptly than the Captain had in mind, but I think my mother was the only one who noticed, as they were smooth.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:18 pm

:)