Alex Plank--What the @#$% is this crap?

Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 2:41 pm

Nonperson wrote:
I don't really care what the intent was, tbh. It is misleading and should be fixed. If it isn't fixed, we can assume the intent was indeed to imply that only males have AS.

Or that Alex didn't see the thread. Has anyone tried PM-ing him, and asking him in a non-confrontational, non-accusatory way to change the wording? I suggest that the OP not be the one to PM, unless they are able to moderate their tone and their language. If someone contacted me and used that kind of language, I would definitely not be amenable to following their suggestion. In fact, I probably wouldn't read past the first sentence or two but would go straight to the delete button.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

unduki wrote:
In a man's scheme of things women are not important, but really?

How did you deduce this from what I stated?

Quote:
You wouldn't mind if we started referencing everyone as she?

I wouldn't care.

Quote:
Perhaps the reason women "overreact" to the improper use of such pronouns is because women die because of the distinction.

When?

Quote:
Women live in slave-like conditions because of the distinction.

Please elaborate.

Quote:
50 trillion you say? You have an extremely low opinion of women, don't you?

If you say so.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:00 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
I don't really care what the intent was, tbh. It is misleading and should be fixed. If it isn't fixed, we can assume the intent was indeed to imply that only males have AS.

Or that Alex didn't see the thread. Has anyone tried PM-ing him, and asking him in a non-confrontational, non-accusatory way to change the wording? I suggest that the OP not be the one to PM, unless they are able to moderate their tone and their language. If someone contacted me and used that kind of language, I would definitely not be amenable to following their suggestion. In fact, I probably wouldn't read past the first sentence or two but would go straight to the delete button.

I went ahead and sent a message to Alex in a non-confrontational and non accusary way. Hope he sees it soon.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Nonperson wrote:

I went ahead and sent a message to Alex in a non-confrontational and non accusary way. Hope he sees it soon.

Sounds good. Please let us know if he responds.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Nonperson wrote:

Sounds good. Please let us know if he responds.

OK.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:49 pm

BorgPrince wrote:
unduki wrote:
In a man's scheme of things women are not important, but really?

How did you deduce this from what I stated?

Quote:
You wouldn't mind if we started referencing everyone as she?

I wouldn't care.

Quote:
Perhaps the reason women "overreact" to the improper use of such pronouns is because women die because of the distinction.

When?

Quote:
Women live in slave-like conditions because of the distinction.

Please elaborate.

Quote:
50 trillion you say? You have an extremely low opinion of women, don't you?

If you say so.

I apologize. I'm not good with the quote set up on this site. After the first generation, it gets too confusing.

BorgPrince, am I correct in deducing that you don't think pronoun distinction is important enough to get upset about? You wrote that there are 50 trillion other things more important than this one person's concerns on the matter. Why you bothered to post in the first place is beyond me. This is something that concerns women in a real way, and we've known the inequities it causes for a long time. I did a report on this in college - in the last century. Yet the inequities continue. You implied they were unimportant.

Women die from heart attacks and other illnesses when doctors don't recognize them as such - because they're women. Women don't get diagnosed with ASD for the same reasons and if they do manage to get diagnosed, they don't get adequate treatment - because they are female. They are shut out of studies because they are not boys. Women are denied access to the arena in many subtle ways and after awhile, it eats on you. It's almost like a kind of persecution, being discounted and blocked from opportunity because you lack the all-important penis.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
It is just funny how some women have to emphasize that they have vaginas all the time.

What?

Just that the paragraph was about autism. And autism is disorder of brain, not vagina. So it is ridiculouse to step in such text with saying "hey, people with vagina have an autism too!"
Firstly because no one said women don't have autism and secondly because what anyone has between his legs is absolutely offtopic. Brain, not gender matters

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

This thread is everything I thought it would be.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

aSKperger wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
It is just funny how some women have to emphasize that they have vaginas all the time.

What?

Just that the paragraph was about autism. And autism is disorder of brain, not vagina. So it is ridiculouse to step in such text with saying "hey, people with vagina have an autism too!"
Firstly because no one said women don't have autism and secondly because what anyone has between his legs is absolutely offtopic. Brain, not gender matters

True, no one said women don't have autism, but if you think gender is irrelevant to the diagnosis of autism, then you need to do some research. Or just read some of the threads in this forum on (under)diagnosis in women. If you are a guy then maybe you haven't paid attention to this issue, so take this as an opportunity to remedy your ignorance.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 4:28 pm

Hey, why do you think I have not been diagnosed even though I have a penis? It is not a matter of gender. It is matter of poor knowledge about autism as such. Don't waste your energy fighting windmills.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

I've always heard that more boys than girls have autism. Or are at least diagnosed. Maybe thats only referencing lower functioning autism that is obvious, I don't know.

If the statistic in the article was about boys then the writer was correct in saying "boys" and also "he".

As to the use of "he" when gender isn't specified, I was taught to do that in school and still do it. Somebody got all upset over it on here once but I write things the way I was taught to. It means nothing at all.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:45 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Hey, why do you think I have not been diagnosed even though I have a penis? It is not a matter of gender. It is matter of poor knowledge about autism as such. Don't waste your energy fighting windmills.

Because you said you are undiagnosed or at least that is what it says in your profile.

"Have Aspergers - Undiagnosed"

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:46 pm

These threads are useful to find out things and stuff, friends etc

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
Because you said you are undiagnosed or at least that is what it says in your profile.

"Have Aspergers - Undiagnosed"

I was not diagnosed, because my parents, teachers, physicians, everyone around knows s**t about autism/aspergers. Not because of my penis. And that's also the case of my best friend - and guess what, she is female.
So if someone had trouble with diagnose, he/she/it may think about other reasons, not just some irrelevant organ below...
because it indicates
thefreedictionary wrote:
obsession:
1. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
2. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.

:wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

aSKperger wrote:
I was not diagnosed, because my parents, teachers, physicians, everyone around knows sh** about autism/aspergers. Not because of my penis. And that's also the case of my best friend - and guess what, she is female.

I'm confused- did someone on here say you weren't diagnosed because you're male? That wouldn't make any sense anyway. Problems of underdiagnosis are much worse for women. Men are more likely to be recognized as Asperger's/autistic.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

Mike_Garrick wrote:

Though shouldn't you be more outraged about the children getting thrown out of school?

One would think, right?