I feel like a soical ret*d? Does anyone else feel this way?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SammyTheWeirdo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm

I met this boy and he just talks and talks and laughs...I try to be friendly but everytime I do I either stutter take long pauses make a weird face or just ingore the person...anyone else?????

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 10:40 pm

Well, I bungled up a phone conversation today. It was a meeting and I was a nervous wreck leading up to it. It was okay while we were hitting business points, then I wasn't sure if that was the end or what should happen - so, I started some rote comments that I was not sure were going over well or if they were appropriate or what to do at that point - I was waiting for some kind of a cue and if it was there - I missed it - I think that was it ... I don't know, I stuttered and lost track of what I was even saying, started stammering that I am just terrible at this stuff and got off the phone still blathering away. That was earlier today and I am still cringing. I sound soooooooo spinny. :oops:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

i not only feel like a social ret*d, i am a social ret*d. with five little true but ill-timed words i insulted the whole good ole boys network where i worked and lost not only my job, but my profession.

Tophat22
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

I tend to say things that kill the conversation without intending to. Then there is an awkward pause and the other people in the conversation start talking about something else. Every time this happens I feel like complete idiot, and then can't stop thinking about for the next couple of hours.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

yes I am a social ret*d so I feel like a social ret*d. :(

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

I do feel like kicking myself when I say something stupid or silly. It can be an impulse too; I guess you could say that my sense of humor isn't as mainstream and literal as other people. It's not that harmful now, but when I get into a career I really don't want to embarrass myself in front of a boss or something.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Yes.

I can't even handle the simplest interaction of a few sentences without somehow screwing it up most of the time.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:47 am

Me? I'm a social ret*d. If no one ever chooses to spend time with me, I fully understand.
<--- Just a waste of other people's time.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:47 am

You have to be a social ret*d if you have an ASD (I don't apply any negative connotation to "ret*d").

georgethekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 1:24 am

I often feel like a social ret*d because I tend to not understand people's reactions or say something that could be misconstrued as negative or rude to the person even though it's not my intent. I just wish I never made the occasional social faux pas.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 2:14 am

Got tired of reading my book.

I'm the opposite. - I talk too much and scare most Aspies away. I don't really know how to change that. Not talking is hard - especially if you like someone and just want to get to know them more.

Compared to most female NT's I'm pretty low key. My friend Mary, when she calls me, I can put the phone on mute (and watch Fox News) while she carries the conversation totally on her own. How's that for small talk? :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 24 Feb 2017, 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2017, 2:53 am

Social ret*d, here and reporting for duty! I guess a good example of my retardiness would be when, years back, I was talking to a new work colleague. He said he was from Dudley and I replied, "Ah, the Black Country!". I couldn't understand why he looked angry and refused to talk to me anymore. It was only when I went home at the end of the day that I realised that he was black and probably thought I was being racist when really I was being a total Aspie and just showing off my knowledge. Of course, I was so embarrassed that I never apologised or even spoke about it again. I felt like a real dick and it still bothers me 20 years later.

For those who don't know. That part of the UK is called the Black Country because of its industrial heritage.

nurseangela wrote:
I'm the opposite. - I talk too much and scare most Aspies away. I don't really know how to change that. Not talking is hard - especially if you like someone and just want to get to know them more.

My brain tends to shut down when someone talks too much but I wouldn't run away, I'd just wouldn't be paying any attention to what you were saying... sorry :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:00 am

Yea, everything you mentioned. I even tell these people I'm mildly socially retarted as a joke (which is unfortunately true but they don't seem to care).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:41 am

I feel more like a nervous wreck. When I'm in a position at work where I'm in authority, I completely clam up. That is why I wouldn't want a job where I have to rely on social skills with the public.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 6:27 am

liveandrew wrote:
Social ret*d, here and reporting for duty! I guess a good example of my retardiness would be when, years back, I was talking to a new work colleague. He said he was from Dudley and I replied, "Ah, the Black Country!". I couldn't understand why he looked angry and refused to talk to me anymore. It was only when I went home at the end of the day that I realised that he was black and probably thought I was being racist when really I was being a total Aspie and just showing off my knowledge. Of course, I was so embarrassed that I never apologised or even spoke about it again. I felt like a real dick and it still bothers me 20 years later.

Dude thats f'ing ridiculous , that is not being socialy ret*d ( although I hate that word ) , you did nothing wrong , the problem is with your black work colleague not you. 'The Black Country' has no racist conotations , I believe it refers to the amount of coal there. It's PC gone f*****g mad , it sounds like that guy would of got angry if you asked for a black marker pen , a black bag or a black coffee ( although I think black bag and black coffee are not PC nowadays , although I use these terms ) . Talking about PC gone mad someone in the house of commons got a letter of reprimand for using the term 'lets get down to the nitty gritty' not knowing it's 18th century meaning , how many people here are going to google that coz they don't know the original meaning.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Polly
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2017, 7:05 am

I don't think a day goes past where i don't embarrass myself with some of the things I'll come out with.
And yeah I totally agree with the whole political correctness b's.
Baa baa black sheep is another ridiculous one, your talking about the sheep's wool aren't you.
Also how did you guess I got straight onto Google about nitty gritty, won't be using that one again. I wonder how many other commen sayings there are we use that maybe we shouldn't. :D