Drugs affecting autistic people differently

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ShamanicExperience2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

TonyHoyle wrote:
Prednisolone triggered nasty meltdowns in me... like cutting myself off from everyone for 2 days straight. I refuse to take it now.

seriously? O.o Now im really glad i didnt f*****g take the Prednisone i was prescribed because my Tramadol already gives me minor mood swings and irritability, seriously dont need meltdowns in the mix

also ive had strange reactions to Alcohol, like trippy psychedelic-like effects O.o fn srsly, but i can drink, it gives me a migraine so quick xD my migraines seem to be pretty sensative to the stuff.

Opiates like vicodin and oxy have also given good amounts of energy instead of sedation and had upper type chems like MDMA and caffeine that acutally make me feel more tired n sleepy then awake O.o

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

ShamanicExperience2 wrote:
Opiates like vicodin and oxy have also given good amounts of energy instead of sedation and had upper type chems like MDMA and caffeine that acutally make me feel more tired n sleepy then awake O.o

Same here. I have taken pain killers and woken very energized (or worse, felt very energized when I needed to sleep!) I have also downed a large cup of coffee and promptly fell asleep. :?

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

I have had a terrible time getting MRs to get that I don't react "normally", either.They are just grossly ignorant about anything not in the book they all memorize. Which is why I don't take their drugs for anything any more. I would love to have a doctor who used their brain, though, instead of calling CYA "science".

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

i had a horrible time when i use to smoke marijuana, i would get really angry and irritable. i even punched a friend thats how angry i got. of course after that i gave up marijuana for good.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

Psychedelics (a category that includes marihuana) tend to increase Autistic symptoms among Autistic people and neurotypicals alike. It tends to feel very alien for neurotypicals, while many Autistic individuals report experiencing psychedelics as an extension of their natural capabilities. While they do reduce social skills, they do often have a positive impact on one's capacity for rational thinking. Addiction risk is relatively low.

Levoamphetamine (aka speed) and other stimulants tend to improve the capacity to hyperfocus. They do tend to have a rather relaxing impact on people with ADHD-like symptoms (Autistic or not) until a certain threshold dosage. People without ADHD-like symptoms tend to become hyperactive from the substance. Note that levoamphetamine is highly addictive and can have a negative impact on personality and behavior, although in my experience Autistic people are less sensitive to the latter.

Methylone is experienced by neurotypical women as an extension of their natural capabilities. Autistic individuals typically experience it as a sensation alien to their normal perception. It has the potential for unlocking hidden capabilities among Autistic people, although more research is needed. It is relatively addictive, though, and not very well-known.

Most other substances I'm familiar with tend to have a similar effect on Autistic and Neurotypical people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm

I have weird reactions to antipsychotics. I have problems tolerating the newer atypical 1s & they make me shaky, cause ticks, slurring & stuttering but I'm taking Haldol now which is a typical one & I haven't noticed any of those effects, don't feel tired which is a very common side-effect/problem & don't feel like I'm having side-effects at all & it's helping the issue I wanted it to & maybe a couple other things.

I was on antidepressants for 5years & tried afew out in differnt classes & i felt better & less depressed off em than I did the entire 5 years I was on em.

Strattera made it harder for me to focus & caused slurring.

Benadryl makes me hyper & causes me to shake

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 6:34 pm

No kidding. I've tried all sorts of stuff that did the opposite of what it's supposed to do. i.e. sleeping pills that made me alert, antacid that made reflux worse, and a whole hordes of meds (that are all unrelated to each other) that give me hot flashes. :( My drug allergy list keeps getting longer the more stuff I tried. I hope i never get too ill, whatever drugs they use to save me might kill me instead.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2015, 12:38 am

I thought restlessness and a bit of a head high were common side effects of opioids. I stopped taking them for that reason and because they didn't do much for my pain. They also increasingly were making me itchy each time I would take one (which was rarely) and may have triggered an otherwise inexplicable full body hives reaction one time. Although itchiness is listed as a potential side effect, I wonder if I was also developing an actual allergy to them and if I should avoid them in the future (like if I would have surgery or something). 8O

I recently took a medication that had so few reported side effects I thought I would be fine... but then I ended up getting worse anxiety and severe migraines and retching any time I smelled food, so even though the medicine was working for my pain (the only prescription that had done so to a considerable extent) I had to discontinue it because I could get enough to eat. Actually, I had to leave the house altogether if someone was going to cook something and had to live off of lunchmeat sandwiches and meal replacements in the brief periods when someone else wasn't eating something. My research has told me that these side effects were highly unusual, and I think my doctor who prescribed the medication is starting to doubt me now :(

The only medication I have found that worked for my pain and anxiety and would give me my life back was a very low dose of vaporized medical cannabis every morning (NOT the street kind -- need high CBD). I am just having trouble deciding how much more I can take, trying so many harsh prescriptions, before I will have to find a way to use the cannabis. :? I am afraid of the stigma -- mine is an invisible illness in the first place (well, more than one of them, actually), and add to that the stereotypes and judgments toward cannabis users... I just want to live a normal life and not be in severe pain all the time. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't think of chronic, intractable pain as a legitimate reason to use cannabis, so I am concerned that I will get lumped in with the abusers who pretend to be in pain in order to get high (if I ever run into someone who admits to doing that... I'm going to be very disappointed in them and have words for them. Okay, so I'm a pacifist...but grrr)... even though the dose and strains I would use would not really get me high after the first day or two.