Anyone feels embarrassed revealing your age?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

glasstoria wrote:
This happens to me, too. When I was a non traditional college student going back to school after 5 years out, it made it easier to blend in, and I was thankful for that aspect of it.

I am always surprised when people ask who do not have any need to know. Luckily most have been nice about it, one lady said her daughter looks young, too, and that she sees it as an advantage, some people go to great lengths to retain their youthful appearance.

If I age like my father has, this is how I will remain. He only recently got gray hairs at age 77 and quite honestly has less gray than most 40 year olds who don't color their hair.

I'm sorry that people are mean to you about it.

Thanks. :)

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I feel embarrassed about my age too. A few years ago my cousin brought her friend round mine with her (they were both 16 at the time), and her friend asked me what year I was in at school. I felt a bit awkward, and I said, ''uh....I'm not in any school year now....I'm 19 and working.'' I was more worried about how stupid or bad she might have felt, in case she might have offended me or something. I do hate looking young.

Imagine how I feel at 39 and I still get strangers asking me, "So are you in school or what?" I just smile and say no and hope they don't ask me how old I am. Sometimes they do though. Grrr.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I thought looking young for your age was supposed to be a GOOD thing, especially if you're a woman because society thinks you should look 20 your whole life. When people tell me I don't look my age, I take it as a compliment... although I wonder now if they also mean I don't act my age as well...

I guess I'm more embarrassed by the fact that I don't act my age and I have some difficulty being and feeling adult, so that will come across as freaky to most people.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<--- Still gets asked to show his ID when buying beer.

lol really?

Me too, but not that often anymore Just twice in the last year, once when trying to enter a bar, and once when buying alcohol together with my boyfriend, who does look old enough to not get asked for his ID.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What annoys me the most about people is when they say, ''I am 45 but look 43''. Like, what the hell is the difference? Or when people say, ''I am 19 but look 17''. What is the difference? Once when I was 29, somebody who asked me how old I was said, ''oh, you look more like 17, or 18.'' I nearly said, ''er, I was 18 last year, my face doesn't age within a year, dumbarse!''

lol I agree, that is really silly! I like your response!

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

Oops, sorry, hope multiple posts here aren't considered flooding.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I feel embarrassed about my age too. A few years ago my cousin brought her friend round mine with her (they were both 16 at the time), and her friend asked me what year I was in at school. I felt a bit awkward, and I said, ''uh....I'm not in any school year now....I'm 19 and working.'' I was more worried about how stupid or bad she might have felt, in case she might have offended me or something. I do hate looking young.

Imagine how I feel at 39 and I still get strangers asking me, "So are you in school or what?" I just smile and say no and hope they don't ask me how old I am. Sometimes they do though. Grrr.

Try to enjoy it. Really. Make some joke out it. Like "I look this young because I never worry about anything."
The opposite is much worse. "So you're retired? What do you do now? Are you getting retirement cheques?" And I explain no, I'm a good eleven years or more from retirement. I sometimes joke that it's like Indiana Jones said, "it's not the years, it's the miles." Then they look at me like maybe I have a serious disease.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Try to enjoy it. Really. Make some joke out it. Like "I look this young because I never worry about anything."
The opposite is much worse. "So you're retired? What do you do now? Are you getting retirement cheques?" And I explain no, I'm a good eleven years or more from retirement. I sometimes joke that it's like Indiana Jones said, "it's not the years, it's the miles." Then they look at me like maybe I have a serious disease.

I did try making a joke of it a few times. When people ask me what's my secret of youth, I answer, "I like eating food with a lot of preservatives." (Which is actually true.. I have the most unhealthy diet.)

But most of the time, I'm not really in the frame of mind to make jokes because I am uncomfortable enough as it is having a conversation and being social.

Sometimes I think people are being dense because you know how everyone wants to look younger, especially women, but then they dress exactly their age! Then they go, "Wow, I wish I could look young like you." So I'm thinking, sheesh, just stop wearing old people clothes and change your hairstyle and you'll shave off 5 or 10 years immediately.

But it's rude to say that aloud right?

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

I am 50 years old & get carded for alcohol. Heck, even for cold meds! LOL
You know, I look about 24-27 right now. And I will NOT be complaining about it! However, I think I understand Joe's point as I had that problem in my twenties & teens ( I was short as well at first. Delayed growth spurt. Typical of Crohn's disease etc.). Females refused to take me seriously, if I was not automatically slapped with the "Creep" label. How they came to that one, I still do not know. It *STILL* hurts.

Sincerely,
Matthew

rastaking
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2012, 7:43 pm

OCD Angel, I sincerely mean this, sounds like the year you were born in was a great year. 1973? That was when the movie American Graffiti was made. The funny thing is that it took place in 1962, as if that (in 1973) was SUCH a long time ago...

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

rastaking wrote:
OCD Angel, I sincerely mean this, sounds like the year you were born in was a great year. 1973? That was when the movie American Graffiti was made. The funny thing is that it took place in 1962, as if that (in 1973) was SUCH a long time ago...

Yes, you've got the year right. I've not heard of American Graffiti. You would forgive me if I don't remember anything in the year I was born since I was just born then. :P

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:08 pm

I find it offensive and patronising when people ask me my age if I do tell them they look at me as though I have two heads :evil:

I think its rude of them to even ask I just say "old enough" now and hope they leave it at that. :x

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

I'm 44 and I look 30, maybe, a couple of months ago we were at a park playing with our kids and my son, my 4 year old daughter and myself were swinging on the swings and I was showing off how I could swing super high like I did back in grade school, you know when the chain would go slack at the top. My wife got really upset at me because I teased her that she's a cougar because I look younger than she does, but she's 5 years younger than I am and also looks young for her age as well. The thing is that I thought I was really funny, but I actually made her cry and I could not understand why she was so upset, I swear they should video me as a perfect example of Asperger's once I get diagnosed..

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
rastaking wrote:

Yes, you've got the year right. I've not heard of American Graffiti. You would forgive me if I don't remember anything in the year I was born since I was just born then. :P

American Graffiti= the 'Dazed And Confused' of the 70s, therefore Harrison Ford= Matthew McConnaughey

I get pegged as 10 years younger than my actual age. The people I associate with at church and meetings are usually mid-20s themselves, though the people in their 50s and older comment on my 'high maturity level' for such a young age. I don't mind so much rebealing my age but the thing that's begged me since I reached 30 is being called 'Sir'. Please stop doing that

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2012, 3:20 am

33 and occasionally still carded. More often since dying my hair blue.

I enjoy the jaw drop and looking young, because I feel young. I still feel like a teenager,and want to act like one, or act younger. Teens don't often squee over neat water features and such.

I want it to last as long as possible. I'm really afraid of being And looking old and still acting out my childlike joys, like I won't be allowed or something.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 5:15 am

I'm 39 too and yes. I know people think I'm much younger than I am. Maybe they don't have my age in mind, but when it's revealed, they are often taken aback. I wear alice bands, lipgloss, jeans, trainers, sweatshirts and bright waterproof jackets. My style is that of a conservatively dressed student (as it has been since I was a student). I just don't appear like the other Mums in the playground who are approaching 40. Most of them are 'womany'. I'm worried about getting older, because I will still have this air of youthfulness, but a wrinkly face and neck. I'm sure people will still think I'm younger than I am, but haven't aged well, i.e. I'll be a 50 yr old who looks 50, but they'll think I'm 35, but look 50.

I might have been an acquaintance of someone for a while, then the matter of age will come up. It might be in a round about way. E.g. A Gran was speaking about a little boy's Mum and mentioned that she thought she was a bit older than the other Mums. I said that I got the impression that she was a bit younger than me, about 36 maybe. She stared at me, kind of incredulously, like how can she be younger than you, if she's about that age? I expect she thought the Mum was about that age anyway, but didn't realise I was in fact one of the even older Mums.

At work, I don't think I was taken seriously, by my boss. I was one of the more mature staff members, but she seemed to speak to me like I was one of the teenage new starts. She knew my age, but I think it was hard for her to attach that number to me somehow.

It's one thing to look good for your age, but another to be perceived as much younger than you are.