Why do we get excited over little things?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Perhaps it's the 'immature" aspect of AS or we don't take life as seriously as NT's or others perhaps. I take it serious as in being in college getting a BA in Criminal Justice but I'm still super excited for new products such as the recent Iphone 5 announcement and the Wii U news tomorrow. I get super happy over NEW Doctor Who episodes it hasn't been NEW SINCE Christmas!! !! Even shows returning in Sept. from May has me SUPER PSYCHED! Big Bang Theory,Person of Interest etc. I LOVE hearing about new tech or new shows that are returning or game releases and such.

Why don't NT's or other people get excited like we do? Is it we're immature? Don't grow up? IMO you can act "grown up" at a job with a degree and still enjoy news on new products Why NOT be excited like a kid? Does the world dictate being an adult = being boring dull hating life type of mood? I went to Disney a few months ago and was jumping up and down like a 5 year old LOL! Some lady looked at me and smiled I didn't notice.

Obviously being an "adult" = you act a certain way but why? IMO with my future job outlook I was to be excited for my work and excited to do the work! When it stops being interesting or fun I'm bored. videogames have done this so there are plenty on the shelf not beaten. classes I'm taking some are boring another one has me fascinated!

What are your thoughts Aspies? Thanks!! !!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

To quote the Simpsons "being an adult means giving up everything that makes you happy." :lol: I can't really explain it but I tend to get very excited about certain things. Like my favourite hockey team scores and I leaped out of my seat to the point the 'fans' in front of me scowled at me and the guy behind me forcibly tried to push me down by the shoulders (good thing I was in a good mood!) I wonder if it doesn't give them a painful reminder of a lost childhood. I have no problem being a kid and while many people might consider that 'weird' I see nothing wrong with being that way: children are much better people than adults! For goodness sake with all the mindless violence and endless hate in the world is that really such a bad thing?

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

I can get excited about things most people don't find important. I was wired last week because the new season of Ghost Hunters was starting up. When I was living in Houston and following baseball (go Astros, even though they suck bad this year) more than I do now, I would jump around and yell in my living room while watching a game. You'd think I was at the ball park. I even had a "Yay they won!" dance that consisted mainly of hopping around in a pogo fashion. My excitement is even evident when I'm out shopping and I see something purple. I don't hop up and down, but I have to point it out and touch it.

My question is Why SHOULDN'T we get excited about little stuff? Aren't small joys just as good as big ones? I think the NTs are missing out by NOT noticing and appreciating small stuff. I have a sister-in-law who, although I love her to death, makes me nuts because she doesn't get excited about ANYTHING. No favorite colors or hobbies or foods, doesn't get rocked by seeing a good-looking man (she was attracted to my brother, which makes me question her taste anyway...hehehe) or a sunset or a rainbow. Even when she gets mad she doesn't curse or scream or throw stuff -- her voice pitch just goes up an octave. Seems like a sad, joyless life to me.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

A child's laughter echoing on a cool fall morning just before school starts. A glance across the room knowingly at a love one, words need not describe a connection no other in the room can see, touch, or feel.

A simple cup of coffee .......

Often-times, it's those little things in life that makes it worth living.

TheSunAlsoRises

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm

"Big" and "little" are subjective evaluations, anyway.

If my cat is sick, that is big. If my cat were to need surgery, that would be huge. (One of them almost did, once. I can still remember how sick I felt, driving over to the vet. When they took her away, her brother hid his eyes in the crook of my arm. But they did one last x-ray, and found out the blockage had shifted, so she didn't need to be operated on. When one of my cats dies, that's basically the end of the world.

When Connie Willis came out with Blackout and All Clear, that was huge. An excellent writer, and World War Two? The London Blitz? (One of my obsessions...) Every Kardashian ever born could be in a huge pileup on the freeway, get their clothes ripped off by wild dogs, and be running around in front of TV cameras stark naked, and that wouldn't be one trillionth as big as those books coming out. But we all know the rest of the world would be glued to the TV, watching Kardashians make fools of themselves, and they probably don't even know who Connie Willis is. So, it's all subjective.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

It is true that everything is kinda subjective in a way. But society and majority consensus dictates what's big and small, what's normal and abnormal, and this and that. Like we think locking ourselves at home and pulling the blinds is normal but unfortunately the majority of the population doesn't so that act becomes not normal. So yes it's subjective but at the same time majority rules. :p

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 12:08 am

Sorry to go off the thread so here's my contribution to the OT.

I act like a 5 year old all the time, excited about every little thing and clap my hands and jump up and down and squeal with delight. Unless I'm in depression, that is. Sometimes I dont express it quite so visibly - just wide eyes and wowing in amazement at silly things like snow cos I don't experience it often

Some "little" things that make me act like a kid: visiting a farm and seeing baby animals, receiving an online order in the post, an anticipated movie or book being released, going into a store full of cute things I like, like a Disneyland store. (I literally went nuts in there).

I don't act like a kid with my special interests. I just go into a trance lol. But deep down I'm so excited I can feel, like an adrenaline rush all over my body.

Im not sure why we get excited but I'm sure it's a good thing. :p

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 1:31 am

I get excited easily. I do not understand why is not socially acceptable as an adult to show so much delight. Trust me I see a new toy that catches my eye, a new game, a t-shirt. I get all excited about it. I guess it can be embarrassing to whoever is with you at the time, but whatever! :D

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 2:17 am

The little things in life are the best.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 5:50 am

I become happy watching others whom are made happy by little things

Feeling connected to nature is my greatest joy

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2012, 2:51 pm

Webalina wrote:
When I was living in Houston and following baseball (go Astros, even though they suck bad this year) more than I do now, I would jump around and yell in my living room while watching a game. You'd think I was at the ball park. I even had a "Yay they won!" dance that consisted mainly of hopping around in a pogo fashion.

I nearly burst out in joy while watching the Cowboys v. Giants football game last week at every big play the Cowboys got. I know exactly what you mean.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

I don't get excited over much of anything, and I certainly don't show it much.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

Excited/obsessive is how it is for me, if I'm excited about something I obsess over it.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

LonelyLoner
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm

I thought I was the only one!

I get excited over the little things...like going to see the pets at petsmart lol

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 2:08 am

nikkiDT wrote:
The little things in life are the best.

strongly agree :D

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 8:56 am

I suppose that depends on what you consider little things and big things. I'm super excited about tommorow that they're doing a Q&A with one of the co-producers of Captain Planet to celebrate that the Cap turns 22! I'm also excited about that book on Mary Tudor and Perdita's Prince that are going to be arriving sometime next week!

My parents would say these are little things, and not understand how awesome they are, but I think they're very big things to be excited about.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain