Do you use medical marajuana?
Yes 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 20

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 1:11 am

NOTE: Please look up the real science of marijuana before you jump to conclusions. (Marijuana is non-addictive, impossible to overdose on, and is used to treat many things. Much evidence points to it destroying cancer cells (I oversimplified it, but it is really interesting))

I don't think I need to "treat" autism. Just the stuff that comes with living in a neurotypical world: the stress, the overwhelming-ness, etc.

I do, however, know I need to treat depression, I have a mild depression that gets worse with less sunny seasons. I take many vitamins such as B vitamins, omega 3 6 9, and vitamin D because I have deficiencies.

But I'm tired of this depression thing I've had almost my whole life and I want it to stop. No more of this!

I was wondering if anyone with autism has any experience with this? How has it made you feel? What is the way your most comfortable taking it in? How has it directly related to your autism?

I would also like to open the discussion to people who know less about this, maybe some of us have information to share. I prefer it not to become a debate on right or wrong, but maybe a debate on merits/non-merits.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:35 am

If you rely on medical marijuana to deal with stress, what are you going to do when you don't have it on-hand?

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 1:38 am

Not possible to prove the merits of it without directly saying "It's a conspiracy... man.”

I don’t use it but I do follow similar vitamin patterns..

To start- the original studies showing that marijuana somehow kills brain cells was flawed in its execution. They gave ** rats/mice heavy doses of it via an attached mask and what they failed to consider was the low oxygen levels due to the fumes.

The **rats suffered from hypoxia, which is harmful to the brain, and they announced it was marijuana that did it.

**Edit: I just found it and it was monkeys not rats, apologies..
___

-Additional theories exist, for example the war on drugs started because the massive amounts of protest due to the Vietnam war. They needed to do something to discredit the crowds and they began smear propaganda of drugs in order to quiet people down about it who were most vocal (pot smoking hippies 8) )

-Problems like lacing with other drugs exist, but overall the effect of the drug does not show addictive properties itself- it may become a habit but so can eating..

-It does help calm people and it has many medicinal uses.

-It's from a plant, and any synthetic drugs they make to try and copy it never quite gets the same results
== being from a plant, its easy to produce, and cheap. Plants are not patentable so I see a conflict of interest right there.

I support legalization of it, and sale in a regulated fashion like alcohol.

People using it bothers me not, and I trust plants more than the toxic crap they give out now that DOES kill and mutate cells (cancer).

It does stink something awful though. :wink:

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2012, 2:10 am

I use it for migraines, insomnia, and anxiety.

In my experience it's not good to rely on constantly (ie: every single day even if you don't really need it) because smoking too much can cause anxiety, but everyone's different. It is the only thing that helps me with migraines that isn't addictive and doesn't have painful side effects, so I'm incredibly thankful to live in California where it's legal!

In terms of it's affect on AS, it makes me feel even more socially inept/anxious if I'm stoned around NTs, so I really prefer to just do it by myself before going to bed.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 2:17 am

It works like most drug therapy regimes, has wanted and unwanted side effects and can stop working for you in time.

Many beneficial side effects with weed. Over dosing should be more of a public awareness issue than present *all safe* ideology

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 3:56 am

Surfman wrote:
It works like most drug therapy regimes, has wanted and unwanted side effects and can stop working for you in time.

Many beneficial side effects with weed. Over dosing should be more of a public awareness issue than present *all safe* ideology

I mostly agree with you except the on over dosing. It doesn't need to be a public awareness issue other than to make the public aware that it is physically impossible to overdose on cannabis and there have been ZERO documented deaths attributed to it in the recorded history of humans. Even the most zealous opponent of cannabis will admit this fact as can be witnessed in several congressional hearings.

Unlike most therapy regimes it won't kill you and the side effects, good or bad, are temporary and short lasting.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 4:01 am

Rascal77s wrote:
are temporary and short lasting.

....maybe....

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 5:38 am

Surfman wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

....maybe....

The point is, no-one really knows. There needs to be more research done but the general public is so scared of the plant and the social stigma attached that it's never going to happen.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
If you rely on medical marijuana to deal with stress, what are you going to do when you don't have it on-hand?

I suppose it will be like it is know. It doesn't have withdrawal effects, so I'll just go back to how I am now. Trying to do good for my diet and doing tai chi and yoga. But its not enough. I'll be okay, I am not suicidal... but I won't be okay because there will be this ever constant depression I can't shake off. I know this from experience.

I am also looking into 5HTP but if cannabis is not harmful. And I have good judgement about how I use it and when... I don't see what the problem will be.

I have had this mild depression all my life, I know it isn't something I can really deal with. Its totally biological and unfair. =P

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
Not possible to prove the merits of it without directly saying "It's a conspiracy... man.”

I don’t use it but I do follow similar vitamin patterns..

To start- the original studies showing that marijuana somehow kills brain cells was flawed in its execution. They gave ** rats/mice heavy doses of it via an attached mask and what they failed to consider was the low oxygen levels due to the fumes.

The **rats suffered from hypoxia, which is harmful to the brain, and they announced it was marijuana that did it.

**Edit: I just found it and it was monkeys not rats, apologies..
___

-Additional theories exist, for example the war on drugs started because the massive amounts of protest due to the Vietnam war. They needed to do something to discredit the crowds and they began smear propaganda of drugs in order to quiet people down about it who were most vocal (pot smoking hippies 8) )

-Problems like lacing with other drugs exist, but overall the effect of the drug does not show addictive properties itself- it may become a habit but so can eating..

-It does help calm people and it has many medicinal uses.

-It's from a plant, and any synthetic drugs they make to try and copy it never quite gets the same results
== being from a plant, its easy to produce, and cheap. Plants are not patentable so I see a conflict of interest right there.

I support legalization of it, and sale in a regulated fashion like alcohol.

People using it bothers me not, and I trust plants more than the toxic crap they give out now that DOES kill and mutate cells (cancer).

It does stink something awful though. :wink:

Yes it does stink! Its terrible, I smell it in the bus almost everyday. It smells like skunk. For that reason, I would probably choose to steam or ingest it.

I have heard that marijuana makes be less likely to do things they don't want to do.

The reason they can't imitate it is because it has "cannabanoids"... this is a real word for what we can't get anywhere else and has a great effect on the human brain in particular.

I find the science fascinating.

I want it legalized also because I know it will end some of the conflict in Mexico with drug cartels.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

dogslife wrote:
I use it for migraines, insomnia, and anxiety.

In my experience it's not good to rely on constantly (ie: every single day even if you don't really need it) because smoking too much can cause anxiety, but everyone's different. It is the only thing that helps me with migraines that isn't addictive and doesn't have painful side effects, so I'm incredibly thankful to live in California where it's legal!

In terms of it's affect on AS, it makes me feel even more socially inept/anxious if I'm stoned around NTs, so I really prefer to just do it by myself before going to bed.

Thats awesome. =)

I think I would try once a week or a few times a month. Probably alone or with my mom... is now a good time to mention she does medical marajuana?

I'm glad to hear you've had success. Seriously, I want to avoid "unnatural drugs" with all their side effects.

I live in Cali to! I think it should be legal not just medically, but recreationally. Because it would have a large effect on a large amount of people.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

....maybe....

The point is, no-one really knows. There needs to be more research done but the general public is so scared of the plant and the social stigma attached that it's never going to happen.

Yes! Exactly!

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Surfman wrote:

I mostly agree with you except the on over dosing. It doesn't need to be a public awareness issue other than to make the public aware that it is physically impossible to overdose on cannabis and there have been ZERO documented deaths attributed to it in the recorded history of humans. Even the most zealous opponent of cannabis will admit this fact as can be witnessed in several congressional hearings.

Unlike most therapy regimes it won't kill you and the side effects, good or bad, are temporary and short lasting.

Yes! =) This is true!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

CrystalStars wrote:

Probably the same thing someone relying on another prescription for the same thing would do....have no relief from the symptoms.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

Surfman wrote:

The only way I could see someone suffering a fatal marijuana overdose from marijuana alone is if they somehow isolate the THC and other chemicals and create a super concentrated injectable form of it....and then inject too much but I don't even know if that's possible. Otherwise if you smoke it or eat it you'll puke or pass out long before you can ingest enough to suffer a fatal overdose.

I suppose if someone had a condition that prevents the puking/passing out after you've had too much effect they could potentially suffer a fatal overdose. But then the cannabis was only a factor.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

I was referring to overuse mostly
like getting chubby from eating too much
too much cannabis is unhealthy

most users use too much