Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 4:41 pm

I have aspergers. Me and my bro had a big argument this evening and he said too me in terms of my behaviour (you flip easily) and (your lucky our family is rich because if we were poor you would be f****d)

More too the point what did he mean by (flip out)? That makes me worried?

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2012, 5:26 pm

Presumably he means you have a fiery temper. That you get suddenly fired up without warning like 'seeing red' or having a tantrum. Does this fit with what actually happened?

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

None of us were there so its hard to say what exactly he meant because we dont know the exact context, nor how your brother talks.

But "flip out" usually means "go crazy". It could mean go into an angry rage. But usually just panicking or having a meltdown or something like that.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2012, 5:29 pm

i'd consider the phrase "flip out" to illustrate a quick change of mood or temperament, usually from calm to upset or irate or aggitated.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

[quote="Filipendula"]Presumably he means you have a fiery temper. That you get suddenly fired up without warning like 'seeing red' or having a tantrum. Does this fit with what actually happened?[/quots

Anyways I can lessen my fiery temper?

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2012, 2:20 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Filipendula wrote:
Presumably he means you have a fiery temper. That you get suddenly fired up without warning like 'seeing red' or having a tantrum. Does this fit with what actually happened?

Anyways I can lessen my fiery temper?

I don't know about ASD specific management techniques, but the norm would be Anger Management classes, books or even just google for some suggestions.

My partner can be a bit the same and, after many years of me complaining that he so often bites my head off for no reason, we've realised that there are set patterns to how it happens and why. A central issue is that he tends to 'perceive' criticism even where I'm not intending to convey it. Apparently that's a known issue which he's now looking into. Perhaps you should ask others to observe your patterns and share their observations with you so that you can start to identify the causes. Then you'll be better able to control them, direct your reactions, or research appropriate techniques.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200