Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

Because most Aspies have a very logical way of thinking, it can be difficult for some to tolerate the ignorance and stupidity of other people.

Now, I understand that the following case is probably very rare but, I once knew an Aspie who was utterly incapable of tolerating others' stupidity. He would often become very frustrated because other people seemed intellectually inferior to him. He was even expelled from school because the perpetual bombardment of stupidity caused him to experience a violent meltdown; resulting in one of his classmates being severely injured.

However, others don't seem to be bothered by it at all.

How do you handle the stupidity of others?

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

Two ways. Keep in mind that I didn't always understand the concept of social tact and came to these standard responses by way of many years saying the wrong thing, sounding insulting and triggering hurt responses or angry arguments:

1. Make a conscious effort to use small or at least fairly customarily used words in casual parlance. You run the risk of the other person feeling that you are being condescending if you do this, though.

2. Do not express contrary opinion. Do not correct errors. Smile and nod, hope the conversation ends soon.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to always do things like the aforementioned. Just... you know, sometimes, often times, we (meaning people on the spectrum) need to be very cognizant of the fact that our statements may cause offense. Must grease the gears of social chatter when needed. :? I will never, for instance, tell my sister that I consider her belief system absurd and that she is a moron for subscribing to it. You just have to let some of that go.

Last edited by MrStewart on 23 Sep 2012, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:14 pm

Awfully.. Really bad.. Worse before compared to now. It can only get better. I'm more introverted of a person than there being a danger of having meltdowns, though, I may still have had one or two, maybe more. Hard to say.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2012, 6:17 pm

Curiotical wrote:
Because most Aspies have a very logical way of thinking, it can be difficult for some to tolerate the ignorance and stupidity of other people.

Now, I understand that the following case is probably very rare but, I once knew an Aspie who was utterly incapable of tolerating others' stupidity. He would often become very frustrated because other people seemed intellectually inferior to him. He was even expelled from school because the perpetual bombardment of stupidity caused him to experience a violent meltdown; resulting in one of his classmates being severely injured.

However, others don't seem to be bothered by it at all.

I would tend to say something. Otherwise I'd get bored. And angry if it is obvious even with NT's understanding.
But I wouldn't ever get violent, nor would I be able to for ever hate anybody...

Sad but true, there is so much stupidity in this world ... at least I think so.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

I make fun of them. In my head or behind their backs. I also think of how dumb they are. I wouldn't call them dumb to their face or talk down to them. I just be nice about it. Plus I can be stupid myself, everyone is and I wouldn't need someone making me feeling bad about it so I don't do it to others. They can do it behind my back all they want.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

Stupidity makes my brain blue screen. Let's just put it that way. I don't handle it well at all and I get extremely frustrated very quickly. This is why I was was either loved or hated by Subway customers. Depended on which one you asked.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

I correct them in person if they make a mistake and get frustrated if I must do this often. I have even just walked away from idiots.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Curiotical wrote:

I point out their stupidity until they do something really stupid (like making a personal attack against me), and then it becomes obvious to everyone else just how stupid they really are.

a. Ignorance can be cured with learning.
b. Stupidity is the willing refusal to learn.
: : Stupid people are those who want to remain ignorant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 23 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

hmm.

well frequently I think to myself how can I make this idiot think that they have come to some conclusion themselves........and I carefully try to figure that puzzle out which generally doesn't work but instead gets me into all kinds of arguments.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Fnord wrote:

Agreed on all points.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Curiotical wrote:

I point out their stupidity until they do something really stupid (like making a personal attack against me), and then it becomes obvious to everyone else just how stupid they really are.

Agree

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2012, 8:55 pm

The worst is the stupid people who think they are smart and will argue about it. hgtuup54ihg5pu3rhgt3p5rgur3u

Example: I gave a time and place to meet up with some guy. The guy never responded back so I gave up. He texted later saying "Here" and when I got there he said "you stood me up" and argued about it saying..."I was here and you weren't so therefore you stood me up" Ugh simple minded person

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
Curiotical wrote:

Personal attacks are the last resort for people in an argument.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 9:22 pm

Willful ignorance bothers me. Academic weakness or ignorance, on the other hand, doesn't. I don't care if you suck at math or flunked out of every class, or if you can't get past a third-grade education no matter how hard you try. I don't care if you don't know something, because I myself don't know much, either, and am painfully aware of it. I don't even care if you aren't interested in my favorite subjects, though I'd still have no idea how you could possibly find them so boring.

What annoys me is if you refuse to learn information that is relevant to you--if you actively reject new information, actively avoid learning. If that's the case, I probably won't like you. I won't hate you--I don't think I'm capable of truly hating anyone--but I will avoid you, so as to not have to interact with you. Interacting with people of this sort will stress me out to the point that I will be tired for the rest of the day, because I keep on trying to find logical purchase, only to realize there is none, and it sends me into a sort of mental endless loop. Very uncomfortable experience, that. I stay far away from the willfully ignorant.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Personal attacks are the last resort for people in an argument.

It's one thing to call someone 'stupid' (a personal attack), it's quite another to deconstruct their claims at the points where they use fallacious logic or false data (Debate 101).

It's also very easy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

I act patient towards them and treat them the way I wish to be treated by others. I make an effort not to do anything that would be hurtful to them. I also try to be friends with them, because I know how it feels to feel stupid. I'm not logical at all, so I might come acrossed as stupid to some of you, if you saw me in person. I'm a dumb and lovable drummer. :D :P