Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASMAN
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2004, 12:05 pm

I read online somewhere that corners of the mouth that hang low is a sign of autism. Also I was born with the bottom and tops of my teeth touching. This was "corrected" when I was 16.
I noticed my youngest niece has the same thing and at 8 probably an aspie.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2004, 6:50 pm

I would have though a turned down mouth was just a sign of unhappiness, or a life of sadness/depression. My dad is like that, he's has Asperger's, depression, and probably not a wonderful family background.

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 3:48 am

Having the corners of your mouth turned down is kind of the "default" facial state. It's not because we're sad, but because we don't tend to communicate happiness through facial expression.
I don't know if the tooth thing has anything to do with AS, but I have the opposite problem, severe overbite.

Lucas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2004, 9:15 am

Large heads are quite common as is 'mobeous lips' wet lips. Through conditioning, children with chalenging behaviour often become very strong and limber. A lot of Autistics also retain the capacity for limbering their bodies well into adulthood.

I couldn't do a the splits a year ago but now I am getting very close.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2004, 9:36 am

I've heard the large heads thing. It's actually being used in infants as one of the 'signs'. I do have a large head, so hats are hard to fit on.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2004, 11:52 am

I heard of that "moebius mouth" a couple of time before, and i made numerous search and i found nothing describing what that type of mouth looks like. Does anyone here knows and could explain, or better yet give a photo of such a mouth ? Thanks!

ASMAN
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 2:25 pm

coyote wrote:
I heard of that "moebius mouth" a couple of time before, and i made numerous search and i found nothing describing what that type of mouth looks like. Does anyone here knows and could explain, or better yet give a photo of such a mouth ? Thanks!

perhaps this would explain: (scroll all the way to bottom)

http://www.unc.edu/~cory/autism-info/orgautsa.html

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 2:31 pm

ASMAN wrote:
I read online somewhere that corners of the mouth that hang low is a sign of autism. Also I was born with the bottom and tops of my teeth touching. This was "corrected" when I was 16.
I noticed my youngest niece has the same thing and at 8 probably an aspie.

Does this mean your teeth were horizontal in your mouth or is this like an overbite?

ASMAN
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 2:42 pm

NO what I meant is this

they met tip to tip. The tips of my upper teeth met the tips of my lower teeth when I closed my mouth. they did not form an "occlusive seal"

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2004, 7:22 pm

Thank you ASMAN. that's my mouth, and my ears :wink: 8O

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 8:27 pm

My hat size was bigger than my dad's at least when I was like 13, I seem to have a large hat size, though not that I wear them that often. I have a large head, large chest, and large feet, and I had a humongous overbite until braces.

newt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2004, 10:23 pm

I've always had a problem with wet lips. Never knew it was associated with autism. My lips are always wet, and sometimes the saliva dries all over my lips making a white sort of crust and it also dries a bit in the corners of my mouth making a a sort of white slime. It's not that bad most of the time, and I've learned to wipe my mouth periodically if it is getting bad. I just figured everyone would probably want to hear about this. :P :lol:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 10:58 pm

I have the drooped lips, but my ears look normal. I can't turn my eyes far enough to get a head-on-look at my ears. I would need someone to measure the angle with a protractor.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 11:55 pm

Scoots, your ears do seem to stick out a bit in the photo in your avatar. I don't know if they are "flopped over" or not.

I don't understand the mouth thing. What exactly denotes "lower than usual" sides of the mouth?

My ears are not low on my head, they actually seem a bit high, and they are quite small.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2004, 1:51 am

newt wrote:
I've always had a problem with wet lips. Never knew it was associated with autism. My lips are always wet, and sometimes the saliva dries all over my lips making a white sort of crust and it also dries a bit in the corners of my mouth making a a sort of white slime. It's not that bad most of the time, and I've learned to wipe my mouth periodically if it is getting bad. I just figured everyone would probably want to hear about this. :P :lol:

Heh, sometimes I get the same thing. I have larger than usual lips, but they're usually not drenched in saliva.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2004, 10:27 pm

Civet wrote:
Scoots, your ears do seem to stick out a bit in the photo in your avatar. I don't know if they are "flopped over" or not.

I will agree that my ears stick out, but I don't know if thats what their talking about. The tops of my ears have a slight downward bend to them, but I don't know it that constitutes being "flopped over...."