Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

I hear this a lot, but I'm not sure what it is or if it exists in my life.

TheWebbz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm

A routine in autism is the same as a routine as an NT.

It's just things you do in the same order, or the same things you do, every day or on a certain occasion.

Did I understand your question, or did I take it too literally?

It was always cold, no sunshine
---
Your Aspie score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 61 of 200

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Could you give examples?

For example, if someone can tolerate/enjoy travel, then would they be said to be following the kinds of routines that tend to exist in autism?

TheWebbz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

beneficii wrote:
Could you give examples?

For example, if someone can tolerate/enjoy travel, then would they be said to be following the kinds of routines that tend to exist in autism?

If a person travelled on a regular basis, and if the person just couldn't stand to not travel, than the traveling would be a routine.

An expensive one, to note

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

That makes sense. I haven't thought much about my own routines, though I undoubtedly have them. They don't seem to follow a strict 24hour schedule, though.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

Not sure if this counts as a routine, but in most stores that I go into fairly regularly, especially book stores, I often develop one path that I follow through the store that takes me to each section that I'm interested in. If someone's in the way, I'll just back off a few feet and wait for them to move instead of going around and down another aisle.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2012, 5:25 am

I'm also interested in this question because while I understand that routine means "always doing things in a specific order" I don't understand in terms of actual life examples. Previous to doing any research into autism I thought it meant having to do things in a fixed and specific series of steps (like having to perform certain behaviours in a certain order before going to bed, for example) but now I have the impression that it has a wider definition, only I don't know how wide.

For example, I always take the same routes to get to places, but then I do that mostly because I am easily confused and lost, so I don't know if that counts as a routine. I dislike it when people want me to spontaneously do things, but I don't know if that counts as "interruption of a routine" as I don't really have a particular daily routine or order of events during the day. I usually eat the same kinds of foods, but at the same time I also eat whatever I feel like eating and there is no order to it, so I don't know if that counts as a routine. Semantically speaking, "routine" is not really the right word to define any of these things, but it seems that the word has a wider definition when discussing autism, which is why I am confused (maybe I'm just doing that thing of being too literal?).

I would be happy to hear more examples of "routines" others have as well, since this is one thing I have come away a bit puzzled about after reading a couple of books about ASDs.

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2012, 5:59 am

Jinks wrote:
I'm also interested in this question because while I understand that routine means "always doing things in a specific order" I don't understand in terms of actual life examples. Previous to doing any research into autism I thought it meant having to do things in a fixed and specific series of steps (like having to perform certain behaviours in a certain order before going to bed, for example) but now I have the impression that it has a wider definition, only I don't know how wide.

For example, I always take the same routes to get to places, but then I do that mostly because I am easily confused and lost, so I don't know if that counts as a routine. I dislike it when people want me to spontaneously do things, but I don't know if that counts as "interruption of a routine" as I don't really have a particular daily routine or order of events during the day. I usually eat the same kinds of foods, but at the same time I also eat whatever I feel like eating and there is no order to it, so I don't know if that counts as a routine. Semantically speaking, "routine" is not really the right word to define any of these things, but it seems that the word has a wider definition when discussing autism, which is why I am confused (maybe I'm just doing that thing of being too literal?).

I would be happy to hear more examples of "routines" others have as well, since this is one thing I have come away a bit puzzled about after reading a couple of books about ASDs.

Yes I feel the same way. I'd love to know what does and doesn't constitute a routine.

I don't feel I really have routines either, or at least they don't seem all that rigid to me. I go the same way to work every day, but that's because it's the quickest route and it never occurs to me to deviate from that and take the long scenic route instead. But I could if I wanted to.

I do have other funny little routines which I impose on myself though. But again, they're not vitally required and I can drop them at any time if I want to. They're more like a game to me. For example, I have a particular way of hanging and pairing socks after doing the laundry. I'm only "allowed" to pair two odd socks if they've landed within a certain distance of each other on the clothes line. And it's fun to see which socks get left behind the longest. I have stuck to this rigidly in the past (to the point where my partner was stealing back his socks because he'd run out), but it's always been a choice and I've always been in control. Lately I haven't been doing it so much, probably because I've been satisfying my pattern and systemizing needs in other areas. But is this the kind of thing that happens with routines?

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 8:09 am

Example of autistic routines (mine):

1. Get up
2. Put coffee machine on
3. Get dressed
4. Make bed
5. Tidy bedroom
6. Sweep bedroom
7. Tidy kitchen
8. Sweep kitchen
etc

If the bedroom doesn't need sweeping, it still has to be swept because not following the routine is beyond stressful. If time is limited and the kitchen needs tidying more than the bedroom, tough, it still has to be done in the exact same order.

Then there are the routines within the routines. EG the bed has to be made in a very precise, routine way. If my husband gets there first and does it, I have to do it again because he won't have done it properly. Or I can't tidy the kitchen table before the sink counter 8O, never, no way. It all has to be done in the correct order.

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
If the bedroom doesn't need sweeping, it still has to be swept because not following the routine is beyond stressful.

I get a lot of what you said in your post (more or less), but I'm curious about the part above. My question is 'why?'. How would not sweeping it affect you? Is it about not corrupting the routine for future, not having to think about what needs doing, sticking to a specific time schedule...?

I can understand not adding features and not changing features, but I struggle to understand the problem with temporarily removing unnecessary features since this can only result in more play time.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 11:06 am

Filipendula wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:
If the bedroom doesn't need sweeping, it still has to be swept because not following the routine is beyond stressful.

I get a lot of what you said in your post (more or less), but I'm curious about the part above. My question is 'why?'. How would not sweeping it affect you? Is it about not corrupting the routine for future, not having to think about what needs doing, sticking to a specific time schedule...?

I can understand not adding features and not changing features, but I struggle to understand the problem with temporarily removing unnecessary features since this can only result in more play time.

I wish I knew :(

I suspect it being bound totally to the routine and a certain amount of OCD. It's fixed and cannot be deviated from even when my common sense is screaming at me to do something else. The ultimate consequence for me is that things higher up the routine list always get done, even when not really necessary, and I rarely get anywhere near the end. So stuff at the bottom never gets done, no matter how necessary. So my house has areas of military order and cleanliness and others of complete disarray and squalor. It's one of the areas my occupational therapist is trying to social services to support me in.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

Everyone has routines. But it's how it affects you when you can't follow them I think. For instance, I get my coffee at the same place everyday. They see me coming and they have it ready. If circumstance made it impossible to go there one day most people would just go somewhere else. Some people would have a melt down. I'm kind of in the middle where I'm pretty upset about it but I'll go somewhere else and get my coffee and try not to let it get me too upset.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 11:25 am

i feel easy when everything i expect to happen happens, and i get upset or more accurately "displaced" when things go out of kilter.

a very simple example is this:

i always go to bed at 3 am because i always feel like i am finished with being awake at that time. after 8 hours of sleep, i awaken at 11.00 am and i always switch on the bedroom TV and watch the 11 am news (with one eye open). i start to become hungry by 11.40 (when i open my other eye) and i always like the idea of boiled eggs (soft) with toast strips dipped into it, so i get up at 11:59 am and prepare 2 eggs and toast and i watch "the midday report" on channel 2 while cooking and eating breakfast.

if i go to bed at (eg) 1 am, i wake up too early (9.00am) and i can not adjust to the time of day, and the lighting of the outside world seems alien to me, and i feel no hunger and i then forget to watch the news and i walk around in circles wondering what i should do because i do not instinctively want to do anything in that time cycle, and i find it very alienating, and the best i can do is to make sure that i am in bed and asleep at 3am and not at 2am or 4 am the next night, or else it is like a chain that comes off the sprocket on a bicycle, and i pedal in vain not getting anywhere.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

b9 wrote:
i feel easy when everything i expect to happen happens, and i get upset or more accurately "displaced" when things go out of kilter.

That makes sense to me. I like things to be predictable.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

jonny23 wrote:
b9 wrote:

That makes sense to me. I like things to be predictable.

you do not give me any handles to grip to make a reply to you, but thanks for your acknowledgment.

it is 2:56 am and i am now bedward.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:08 pm

The diagnostic criterion is that there is eggsessive adherence to routines. Eberryone has routines, but autistic people adhere to them much moar than others do, because it bothers autistic people much moar to not adhere to them. If you have a routine, and it doesn't bother you when the routine is broken, so it doesn't make you feel particularly bad, then that is the kind of routine that eberryone has. If the breaking of your routine screws you up a lot to shut down your brain, and you just need to follow the routine for your brain to continue working for the rest of the day, then that is an autistic routine.