What is the first thing you ever did that was "autistic

Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 3:12 pm

What was the first thing that you REMEMBER doing that was considered autistic or abnormal?

The first thing I ever remember doing that was considered autistic,was playing with a long,wavy-like belt(which I still do to this day)when I was 3.

-SpaceCase

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 3:56 pm

I had a toy helicopter, and I'd spin the top all day long.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 4:06 pm

I was looking at a chandelier in my childhood apartment with a look of terror and anxiety in my eyes.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 4:26 pm

At six years of age I could recite the powers of 2 up to 65,536, having worked them out in my head when I was bored. (Although I've got up to 68,719,476,736 recently)
I would also not go near yogurt and tissues for a while.

But the very FIRST thing was when I was a baby. I used to sit and stare at my father's laptop (when he was using it) for literally hours on end. My eyes were actually fixated on the screen. Now I am a bit of a computer nerd.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 5:05 pm

Even TODAY, I often find myself being preoccupied with certain things.(It usually happens when I am VERY board. Almost like clicking a pen, etc... In fact, it could be clicking a pen, and looking at the cams, etc...) I DID get a switch when I was VERY young(perhaps 3 or younger), Just to figure out how it worked, etc... I always thought the taking things apart was a male thing. I ALSO thought for a while that MOST could put them back together. I figured the preoccupation which something every kid had.

Steve

Prescott
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2006, 8:18 pm

At the age of 4, I could (and almost always would...) name the make and model (and year if I could) of every car that went by. I would also count how many cars went by the house.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 9:28 pm

I spun around in circles a lot and told everyone at the time that I was trying to be Wonder Woman.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 9:41 pm

In preschool, I didn't notice the existence of my fellow students, I was obsessed with the footballer Wally Lewis, and I'd read every street sign that I passed. That's the first thing that I can remember.
My mother tells me that a couple of years earlier I had asked the colour of every single thing that I saw.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2006, 10:11 pm

I liked to plug and unplug things a lot (still do). :P

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 10:19 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
But the very FIRST thing was when I was a baby. I used to sit and stare at my father's laptop (when he was using it) for literally hours on end. My eyes were actually fixated on the screen. Now I am a bit of a computer nerd.

Wow, you are either very young or your dad was very much in the vanguard technologically. I don't remember seeing a laptop before around '99.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 10:25 pm

I used to flick light switches on and off, until I was six.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2006, 10:37 pm

Learned how to read at the age of 1 1/2 >.>

10 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm

I wanted everything the same in my classroom when i was 3. I liked my things the same and I always had to keep things the same the way they came.

Eyphur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2006, 12:43 am

When I was about 3 I threw a tantrum in a resaurant because my toast was cut on the diagonal. I had never seen toast cut that way, my family allways cut it horizontally.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:38 am

I guess it would be memorizing a poem when I was 3 1/2 years old. I remember my mom being quite surprised and making me recite for guests.
I also remember quite a bit of walking around in a daze, thinking about various words and their homonyms / synonyms, in a townhouse we moved out of when I was 3. I could still draw you the floor plans for that house; I remember my mom reacting to that as well when i drew them for her when i was about 10.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 2:37 am

I don't reckon I thought of the earliest things as unusual. There are a few things my mum remembers but I don't. (Like I used to be able to do complex sums until I couldn't any more.)

Or I was riding on one of those mechanised horse things at the front of the shop and some little old lady said "Oh, you poor thing. It isn't even going." My mum was like, "NO!!" but the L.O.L. puts 20c in the slot. The horse started to rock and make mechanical noises. And I screamed.

When I was two or three, I got my first intellectual obsession -- which was dolphins. (They're just brilliant.)

And at about the same age, I was the town eccentric for about two years because I would pretend I wasn't human.