Hearing impairment 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Speech impairment 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Speech and hearing impairment 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 16

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2012, 10:09 am

i have a selective deafism DX. If somebody is talking to me, it ether sounds like gibberish, i dont hear them or i hear random phrases about what im thinking about. I actualy have to consintrate realy hard to hear what they are saying. Ive hade to learn lip reading to know acuratly what people are saying

Also when i try to talk, i often say random sentinces that have no connection with the convo, or i dont acualy say something. Im thinking about mastering ASL to be able to communicate with people. I currently only have a basic knowlege

Does anybody else have these problems?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 11:02 am

Auditory processing problems? Yep. I can hear noise just fine--probably better than most--but processing it fast enough to get meaning out of it is a chore sometimes.

I've met at least one autistic woman who is Deaf not because of "traditional" hearing loss, but because she has auditory processing problems so severe that lip-reading is more reliable for her, and ASL is her natural language. If you're in the same boat, I think you should try to learn ASL. It's a beautiful language and there are communities of people who sign all over the place.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

I use to be abled to sign fluently, but i got out of parctice.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

Callista wrote:
Auditory processing problems? Yep. I can hear noise just fine--probably better than most--but processing it fast enough to get meaning out of it is a chore sometimes.

I've met at least one autistic woman who is Deaf not because of "traditional" hearing loss, but because she has auditory processing problems so severe that lip-reading is more reliable for her, and ASL is her natural language. If you're in the same boat, I think you should try to learn ASL. It's a beautiful language and there are communities of people who sign all over the place.

My hearing is great, but I have a hard time understanding what people are saying if I don't watch their mouth. I wouldn't say I'm a lip reader but it makes understanding a lot easier. It get's worse the more background noise there is, in a room full of people talking I can't understand any anybody because I'm hearing everybody.

I'm thinking of bringing it up with my doctor but I don't know what could be done for it.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 12:24 pm

Callista wrote:

That's me.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

My mild CP is one reason why I had to go to speech and language therapy for over a decade of my life. I know most autistic people don't have CP, and vice versa, but to this day, if a professional listens for it, my speech impediment can still be heard.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:48 pm

I have speech problems. I have Hyperacusis. Whilst my hearing is too sensitive, sometimes it can sound like jumble when someone talks.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2012, 4:13 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
Callista wrote:

That's me.

Me too. I had hearing tests all over my childhood because I wouldn't respond to people talking to me. Even now I still ask people to repeat what they said so I can concentrate on what they are saying.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 7:50 pm

It happens to me very often to not understand what other say to me, even if my hearing is good because i've made some hearing tests.
But i attributed this to my anxiety because usually i'm very nervous around people I don't know very well and i find it hard to concentrate to what they say. For example, while they are talking to me, I am thinking at many scenarios and even try to determine what should i say after they finish their conversation. Sometimes I look at their eyes and try to understand what they are thinking or how should I look at them to hide my emotions or to imit any, etc.
After that to realize i missed the whole point or i replied to 'another' question.