Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

musicforanna wrote:
I roll my feet when I walk and I kinda twist my left leg when I walk, so I guess you could say I have a funny gait. I also knock the back of my shoes when I walk in certain shoes (smacking the back end of my heels) But my bf also has had a weird gait (he's since somewhat corrected his, but he's for years suffered from the sloping shoulders and toewalking). I also don't stick out as much walking next to my mom though because she has mild CP and she has a heavy limp when she walks because the bones in her left foot are fused together in an experimental surgery she had 24 years ago so she drags that foot.

Funny you should mention your mom, because I have CP too, and I walk like you, only with a slight limp, a wide stance, my knees snap back suddenly, and I used to have issues with toe-walking because of heel cord spasticity. I don't think I walk like your mom, because I probably have a different type of CP.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 12:37 am

I kind of grew out of an abnormal walk...I think quite a few AS peeps did this too, but as a kid, I often walked on my tip-toes whenever I wasn't wearing shoes. It didn't matter if I had socks or was barefoot...just couldn't stand touching the floor with my entire foot. Disgusted me, for some reason. I'd also been told I looked strange when I ran but I can't chalk that up to anything abnormal because I've made the same observation of plenty of people. Nowadays, I'm one of those people who has no idea what to do with their hands when walking.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

I used to have really bad posture, and take big steps. It was weird. I became more self confident, and now my walk is different. One of my friends said that I have a very unfeminine walk. The interesting thing is, I can modify it at will.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

i walk rapidly and i dig my heels into the ground as i walk.
it seems odd to some people.
sometimes i feel that i am stationary and i am pulling the destination i want to get to on the ball of the earth in my direction with my feet.
as i walk, i tend to walk faster and faster until i reach the point where i have to change my gait into a "trot", but i do not want to trot, so i walk at the threshold of a "trot" and i do not know what it looks like but it is not how most people walk. sorry about the joke in my last post.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2012, 11:16 am

Mine has been called the "bird walk", this one guy was absolutely fascinated with how I walked and could not figure out how I could possibily move in such an odd manner, obviously making me very self conscious about how I moved. I have also been called lazy because of my posture, like I could change it, so I tried for years and was even prescribed physical therapy to no avail.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

I *think* my walk is fairly normal.. although I used to shuffle a lot - my parents were always telling me to pick my feet up. For a long time I used to walk quite a bit faster than anyone else (still do, if I'm on my own) and couldn't understand why they went so slowly.

The odd one for me is running - I never 'got' how to run properly.. I end up expending most of the energy bouncing up and down rather than going much faster.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:17 am

I have a very slouched, bouncy gait. My feet slap the pavement when I walk and it makes me very aware of how different it is. My shoulders are often so hunched up that when I walk past windows and mirrors it looks like I'm tipping forward. My parents have been on me about the way I walk for years, especially my dad, he even took me to physical therapy once to get it looked at. The doctor taught me how my posture was supposed to look, but it felt very unnatural and I gave up trying after a few weeks. I probably ought to learn to walk better if I don't want back problems when I'm older though.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

I don't have great posture, and I tend to look down when I walk, so there's that. I also don't swing my arms much when I walk. I don't normally walk on my toes, but I catch myself doing it sometimes when barefoot. I don't know how abnormal my gait is overall, but my brother did comment on how he could identify me from afar just on my walk.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

One jerk in a place I worked kept making comments over a few months about different people walking with eerie fluid motions. I finally realised he was probably talking about me. I tried to be conscious of the way I walked and moved but after half an hour I would just forget. I always feel clumsy too. If I'm walking in a straight line and turn my head 90 degrees and try to keep walking another ten steps I am seriously at risk of falling over. I must look drunk or something, it's so bad. I have to stop dead still to turn my head both ways to look for traffic otherwise people will think I'm walking around drunk or on meds nearly falling over :(

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 6:29 pm

Yes, but that's because I'm a gimp. :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2012, 1:06 am

I feel like i walk strange ..as my mum tells me to try and staighten my back all the time..i kind of just plod along with my head looking towards the ground to avoid eye contact with people...i guess thats why i have developed really round shoulders and a stoop..lol