Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

Why do petty things seem too be such problems for us aspies?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

I really don't know. Small things upset me too. It spoils my time and stops me from enjoying myself. It's not fair, why can't I just be normal? :(

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm

For me, It's when others take petty things and turn them into a big issue or pain for me. Like a mistake on my bill or customer service to fix an issue. It takes an act of Parliament/Congress and hours or multiple transfers on the phone just to correct!!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

Oh yes. One thing that really bothers me is when people don't know the difference between "to", "too" and "two" and only use one of them, consistantly.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 2:26 pm

I think it's because our senses take the normal input and multiply it. So we perceive everything more intense than other people. I think even NTs would get a meltdown after a while, if the input was strong enough.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

It's only a problem, if you make it a problem. :)

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

My most epic rants have come from this.

The core of frustration behind it is this: if all I want to do is something simple, like having a car that runs when I need it, cannot be possible because of something real stupid like not being able to find the tool for it, or perhaps any "stupid factor" that has little to do with any loss of capability or logistical matter, then I get quite perturbed.

When these things happen, I think of all that evil in the world that seems to run along just fine without a hitch. Someone wants to engineer food that causes cancer to become almost epidemic - no problem! Someone wants to build an autonomous drone that can hunt people? Hey, it works!! Someone wants to split an atom and build a weapon that can incinerate hundred of thousands? Viola! Someone wants to foist central banking on a world in order to finance hell on earth? DONE!

I want a long screwdriver to adjust the mixture on the old car so I can get to work? Nope. Sorry.

People are suffering because the food supply is poisoned and yet the entire machine keeps them misinformed and dumbed down so much that they think getting fat and cancerous is some kind of bad luck and when you try to explain the stats and the trend, they look at you like you just gave birth to an ass monkey. They are programmed. An entire media complex accomplishes this on hundreds of millions of people and is a raging success (look at all the obesity and disease abound).

But can I get my girlfriend to understand me and stop hating me? No. Of course not. That's hard.

So yeah, it's the simple things, only because the world is getting wrecked by people gleefully pulling off some very complex crap only for their needs to plunder and destroy but when all I want is something simple, it's like all the forces of the world work against it.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 4:39 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

No offense, but this is one of the "pieces of advice" that always made me want to punch somebody.

A problem is a problem when it is a problem for you, period. Not everything can be solved by positive thinking.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

No offense, but this is one of the "pieces of advice" that always made me want to punch somebody.

A problem is a problem when it is a problem for you, period. Not everything can be solved by positive thinking.

Pick on someone your own temperament and leave sensitive souls like me alone.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 07 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Pick on someone your own temperament.

In case "no offense" wasn't clear enough: I'm not picking on anyone, just expressing an opinion.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 6:29 pm

Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

In case "no offense" wasn't clear enough: I'm not picking on anyone, just expressing an opinion.

Logical things aren't clear to me. I'm not the logical type. The reason I haven't been on here much lately, is because I feel that I'm a flower in a battlefield. Of course it would be easy for someone like you to say to someone like me, that I shouldn't be here if I'm a sensitive soul who takes everything to heart. I'm in no mood to argue right now.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Logical things aren't clear to me. I'm not the logical type. The reason I haven't been on here much lately, is because I feel that I'm a flower in a battlefield. Of course it would be easy for someone like you to say to someone like me, that I shouldn't be here if I'm a sensitive soul who takes everything to heart. I'm in no mood to argue right now.

I think I can see both sides. Positive thinking like CockneyRebel's suggestion probably needs to be part of the solution as, ultimately, if we allow these trivial things to escelate in our minds we end up in stressed/metldown territory. That said, if it was as easy as that alone, we could all be stress-free overnight - It's probably something that needs to be attacked from multiple angles.

I am a prime example of someone who still allows really trivial stuff to infuriate me and I often feel like the 'make it a problem' thing is somehow hardwired into me. In my case I have problems when situaltions diviate from the plan/expectation in a negative way. Even somethings as silly as a bin bag splitting open has had me shaking and needing to just extract myself to another room and try to calm down. Also any percieved minor injustice suddenly becomes the most important thing in the world.

When things affect your life to such a high degree, the most well-meaning advice can be frustrating. The regular one I get from those close to me who I had told about AS is that I am 'still the same person' which, although I know is meant as reassurance, infuriates me. It feels like they are telling me that the reason for most of my problems through life, and that I have a significantly different brain type to 99% of the population does not matter. Yes, I am the same person...It's just that until a few weeks ago I have been living my life without really understanding who and what that person was. Seems kind of a big deal to me.

Anyway, not everyone is always going to agree and dont think it seemed like any offence was intended by anyone from where I was sitting.

Si

Alexithymia: 137

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 9:11 pm

I'd like to apologize for the mix up that I've caused in this thread. I've also learned that positive thinking doesn't work for everyone. Perhaps I should stay away from threads like these in the future.