My doctor doesn't think I'd need treament

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DreamyRocky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

My psychotherapist thinks I might have high functioning autism, so I talked to my doctor about getting it diagnosed and the doctor said "If you get diagnosed, then what?". He doesn't think it needs treatment. He explains that it doesn't seem to be causing me problems in college.

So I can't asked to be diagnosed for something that I don't need treatment for?

I was diagnosed with adhd though and I'm getting treated for that.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:58 am

My advice:
Get a second opinion by a shrink who is specialized in ASD.

You can't really do anything else.
I stayed nearly two years ambulant in a bad psychiatric hospital and made it just worse for myself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm

Keep consulting professionals until one of them agrees to give you the diagnosis that you want.

However, if after the third try you still find yourself without the diagnosis you want, then maybe you don't actually have the condition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
However, if after the third try you still find yourself without the diagnosis you want, then maybe you don't actually have the condition.

Unless there's some sort of concrete obstacle (finances, parents can't/won't cooperate with diagnosis, whatever). Then, it's entirely possible to have an ASD, and not get a diagnosis.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

DreamyRocky wrote:
My psychotherapist thinks I might have high functioning autism, so I talked to my doctor about getting it diagnosed and the doctor said "If you get diagnosed, then what?". He doesn't think it needs treatment. He explains that it doesn't seem to be causing me problems in college.

This guy must be crazy. I mean, it doesn't affect his money situation negatively, does it?
Why wouldn't you need a diagnosis? If you ever going to have trouble it is better to have one already.
You don't need to use it for anything.

What is wrong with all these psychotherapists that people talk about?
They seem to be immature on their special area.
Or they just treat more severe autism cases.
And don't like aspies, because they are difficult

I said already something like
That's like a doctor that would rejects you and says: "Come back when you have a real flew"
Or even better:"Come back when your arm is broken the next time, this one doesn't need treatment"

It's maybe ok that you don't need treatment. But you'd need the diagnosis.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

emimeni wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Unless there's some sort of concrete obstacle (finances, parents can't/won't cooperate with diagnosis, whatever). Then, it's entirely possible to have an ASD, and not get a diagnosis.

I am pretty sure that you can have very bad problems
and still they will screw you up as much as possible that you'll give it up getting one,
because it is so difficult.

They want to save money, even that for the diagnosis.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

onks wrote:
DreamyRocky wrote:

This guy must be crazy. I mean, it doesn't affect his money situation negatively, does it?
Why wouldn't you need a diagnosis? If you ever going to have trouble it is better to have one already.
You don't need to use it for anything.

What is wrong with all these psychotherapists that people talk about?
They seem to be immature on their special area.
Or they just treat more severe autism cases.
And don't like aspies, because they are difficult

I said already something like
That's like a doctor that would rejects you and says: "Come back when you have a real flew"
Or even better:"Come back when your arm is broken the next time, this one doesn't need treatment"

It's maybe ok that you don't need treatment. But you'd need the diagnosis.

there are negatives to having a diagnoses on paper

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

chris5000 wrote:

Elaborate, please (curious, as I'm about to undergo the diagnostic process).

Eukanuba
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

gretchyn wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

Not to answer for Chris, but I think I know what he means. From my point of view, I've met loads of people who have a disorder of one sort or another and use it as an excuse to act obnoxious. Or "dyslexics" who are just stupid and again looking for an excuse.

I'm due to find out if I officially have AS on Friday and I've had to tell people that I don't want to use it as an excuse for anything. I just want the relief of knowing that it wasn't my fault that I said something stupid twenty years ago. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that my approach is the best one. I don't want a label, I want a shorthand for explaining it to people who I care about enough to understand. I don't ever want to stop trying to get on with people, and I don't ever want to stop trying to adjust my behaviour so that people aren't put off by me.

But yeah, if a person uses it as an excuse to behave badly then that is wrong.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 5:17 pm

Eukanuba wrote:
gretchyn wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

Not to answer for Chris, but I think I know what he means. From my point of view, I've met loads of people who have a disorder of one sort or another and use it as an excuse to act obnoxious. Or "dyslexics" who are just stupid and again looking for an excuse.

I'm due to find out if I officially have AS on Friday and I've had to tell people that I don't want to use it as an excuse for anything. I just want the relief of knowing that it wasn't my fault that I said something stupid twenty years ago. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that my approach is the best one. I don't want a label, I want a shorthand for explaining it to people who I care about enough to understand. I don't ever want to stop trying to get on with people, and I don't ever want to stop trying to adjust my behaviour so that people aren't put off by me.

But yeah, if a person uses it as an excuse to behave badly then that is wrong.

I agree with you. But still I wouldn't go so far to change myself inconsistently. Some aspie properties I'd like to keep.
And I would also like some understanding and respect.

You are much better off with a formal diagnosis, because then things are clear when you're hit hard and need some help.
Quite bad if you then have to face again people doubting you're an aspie. And because of that it would take ages to get appropriate help.

You can also use your undiagnosed AS as an excuse for about whatever. I'd be tempted to say a paper is only positive unless they'll not keep their mouth shut and their papers save, far enough from inappropriate access.

But please Chris, share your insights with us.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

if you live in the united states it can affect you getting insurance, there's probably a few other things I cant think of off the top of my head right now.